Detention Center Camera Greeblies

Laugh if you like, but Walmart actually has a surprisingly good array of blues. Also handy for sandtrooper backpacks.

(Pic is recent one from a friend)

image_zps2au58rix.jpg

[edit: unintentional if hijacking, meant as reply to painting question above]

Last edited:
I have 12 or 13 originals myself but they are multiple colors. I'm not sure how to get a matching color. . Will prob mask and prime them. But not sure if I should find a humbro or testers paint or is there a way to get a rattlecan or airbrush paint custom matched

any tips?

We can spray out sample cards so it can be matched locally.

That looks great. I wondered why the viewers had started to go up madly in the UK. Need one more to complete the set. Definitely want the set of the greeblies once they are available.

Sorry, that is probably something to do with me:lol I now have enough to make five complete cameras.
IMG_1815.jpg

I am thinking of using these LED Panels mounted in the slide slots and using TV brackets to mount them to a wall so they can be used as outside lights;)
s-l500.jpg

Sorry, that is probably something to do with me:lol I now have enough to make five complete cameras.
[url]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/andy19422/IMG_1815.jpg[/URL]
I am thinking of using these LED Panels mounted in the slide slots and using TV brackets to mount them to a wall so they can be used as outside lights;)
[url]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/andy19422/s-l500.jpg[/URL]

That's a ******G lot of viewers!!!!!! Can you stopping bidding for a bit please!!!!! Are you going into the detention block business or are you just out to scare the neighbours? I look forward to your future domination of all G4 government security contracts.

On a side note. It never made sense to me that these were cameras. I always though they were monitors. I couldn't figure out why they were shooting monitors...lol

Are the lights and bezels for these still available to buy?

No, most unfortunately I believe that run is finished. I've expressed my interest to Philip at rebelscum/Blue Realm that if they were ever to make more of those that I'd definitely be onboard to purchase more. Funny, because I just looked at this very thread a few days ago thinking that it might be useful to post here to revive interest in this. I wonder if enough of us expressed firm interest if they'd consider starting production on those again. I have a few and they are a really nice product - they do great work!

Dan

I'm gutted about that didn't feel that long ago I was looking on the bluerealm site trying to work out what I'd need, then started to collect up the other bits. Stupid should have brought a set then, so definitely in if there is another run.

Yeah, I sympathize. I hesitated as well for a while, keeping it as one of those 'back burner' projects for a future date. By the time I finally decided to get in I think I may have gotten the last kit they had.

5D3_5877_small.jpg5D3_5879_small.jpg

From the quality in mine I can say for sure that those lights are great and I'd like a couple dozen more for various other ideas I have in mind (including an 8-panel section of the blockade runner hallway for my display area).

Dan

Did you put the lenses on the underside. I think from the pictures I've seen they are there too?

3Dimpact, did you paint your slide viewers or are you as crazy as me and they all are full dark blue viewers? I've been looking for a year and a half, I have only 5 so far :lol

Did you put the lenses on the underside. I think from the pictures I've seen they are there too?

Yes, lights on the bottom as well, one blue. I of course referenced the on-screen scenes as best I could. In the process I realized that the 'hero' shot of the first camera being blasted is actually mirror-imaged from its physical appearance on set. And so, the metal greeblies that Blue Realm very nicely machined, presumably from reference to that hero shot, are also mirror-imaged. Not a ding to the Blue Realm greeblies (they're beautiful!), just noting an interesting historical tid bit...

Dan

- - - Updated - - -

3Dimpact, did you paint your slide viewers or are you as crazy as me and they all are full dark blue viewers? I've been looking for a year and a half, I have only 5 so far :lol

No, these are Blue Realm castings - very nice ones that came pre-painted in a near perfect match to one of the original viewers.

Dan

Hi guys...

Checking in on this thread. I'll see if I can update things a bit here.

Oddly, we went to a pretty fantastic amount of trouble to make these, and they almost nobody wanted them, so we didn't make many pieces.

I have some lights left, and can make more machined parts. There won't be any more cast viewers.

I can so run the white front bezel inserts.

Back plates are more complicated as I have to order 10 to get them made.

I still have correct paint samples for color matching on your end.

I'd be interested in seeing the details behind the image flip and parts. I'm aware of the flip, in fact there are so many different ways the images are presented it's hard to make any 100% calls on he pieces.

The machined pieces ended up being based on Chris Reif's drawings from them in one of his books.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back