Todd's Costumes DL-44 ????

Disappointment after disappointment after disappointment...

Ok, just my perspective on things... no affiliation, blah, blah... I think the way this went down is Todd set his price point with acceptable expectations based on prior events. Things went south as has been documented and he had an e-commerce solution that exacerbated the situation when the email went out in May that we all jumped on (understandably). Then he was in an unenviable situation of having to not disappoint all of us regardless of the hell (economic and otherwise) that he had to consequently go through to make the product a reality.

Flash forward to recently and this thread was born with justifiable issues, but perhaps not taking into account the other party's perspective... This isn't in the realm of big business, this the world of mortgage your house to do a run of 500. Not an enviable position but it is what it is.

If it were me, I would email Todd with a gracious request to return what he has had to deal with as a deliverable from China, and ask if a better example were to appear please consider you for replacement... Just sayin', brother... :/

And, by the way, for y'all with live-fires, the scope is not functional as far as usable as a rifle scope. The type of ground glass necessary for that level of performance is entirely out of this price point... in my opinion. All the pieces are there, however the obtaining of that that would probably have put Todd out of business. As a result there is no clear focus downrange.

Me, I'm thrilled and lucky for what I have. I hope, but am not optimistic, that it will continue to be a thing. Just my $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
My scope from Todd's Costumes came in today. I'm very happy with it. It was well packaged and was without any noticeable defects that I have noticed at this time. Here are some pictures compared to my unfinished DEC scope and subsequently mounted with my DEC blaster parts....
8299ccdbbea1477214c605b255ec55d0.jpg

Chris

Don't get me wrong the blaster is great, specially for the price.

I was able to fix the looseness of the mount. After disassembling it, i found the the two screws behind the joint had loosened up a bit allowing it to wiggle a bit. That's now been taken care of. Also the heat sink reattached with a drop of epoxy.

I did get in touch with Todd and he will be sending me a replacement for the bent glass mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out our packaging is to blame for the bent scope. We're looking for solutions to protect the gun from impact inside the box. I don't know if bubble wrap is even enough. Foam inserts would be great but are crazy expensive. Luckily, only the brass lens holder was damaged so a replacement is on it's way to Juan and it'll be good as new. The loose screws have been a problem on a few guns. We'll start using thread locker on those.

Just had our first blaster rejected by Denmark.

I do want to publicly say thank you to Todd, for coming through and solving the issues with my parts. He has been extremely cooperative and understanding of the situation!

Thanks Todd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sent out an email to our customers a while ago, maybe we missed you. The situation is that the upgrade kits won't fit the old scope tubes. The old tubes were slightly off spec (we didn't know). If you ordered the original scope and an upgrade kit and haven't received either, then you'll get the upgraded scope all done. For the few (like 10) people who got the old scope already and want to upgrade, we're going to have to exchange scopes.

Send me an email and we can discuss options. todd@toddscostumes.com I love what you did with your kit! That's what I would have done. Problem is once you start modifying the Denix you can't stop! There are just too many little things you can do to bring it closer to a real Mauser.

redbutton already got a scope and is in need of a cradle/mount. So, does this mean his scope will have the be swapped? (He's my dad and isn't on here very much) thanks Todd!

Turns out our packaging is to blame for the bent scope. We're looking for solutions to protect the gun from impact inside the box. I don't know if bubble wrap is even enough. Foam inserts would be great but are crazy expensive. Luckily, only the brass lens holder was damaged so a replacement is on it's way to Juan and it'll be good as new. The loose screws have been a problem on a few guns. We'll start using thread locker on those.

Just had our first blaster rejected by Denmark.

It might be my shipment you're referring to.

I talked to customs and they told me that they "sometimes automatically rejects packages that is labelled with the word "gun" or "weapon" and sometimes just if it looks like a gun".

Fantastic. I've imported several blasters from the US without any problems through the years.

The Denix is NOT prohibited in Denmark. It can be bought a dozen places here fully legally. The rejection is a mistake and I'm very sorry about this inconvenience in a busy time.

Please get back to me so we can sort this thing out.

I tried emailing todd@toddscostumes.com two days ago.

Glad to see ToddsCostumes posting! I always have had great luck with his items (solo boots, belt, belt rig, holster DIY kit, first run DL44 parts, and second DL44 run parts) and I have to say that I really really hope Todd's doesn't suffer long term from this run. they've always been super responsive to me, and I have returned my Solo boots with them no problem.

They got really messed over with their contractors overseas. Todd's took a huge risk with this run. I will absolutely continue to buy from them in the future.

That being said, I do with that it had been communicated that the scopes would not function as promised before shipping. I only say that because I had an open commission that I accepted payment for and waited months for the scope to arrive, only to find it didn't have a feature that *I* promised the buyer because it was stated in the description. I also notice that the engraving is much much smaller than the first scope I have from them, which I believe to be more accurate.

All things considered, theres some stronger points on this run (dovetail fitting, quality of the blueing, choice to blue the flash hider and not whatever hellish paint was applied to the run I got first) and some disappointments, but I can't even get 3D printed parts for this price.

That being said, I do with that it had been communicated that the scopes would not function as promised before shipping. I only say that because I had an open commission that I accepted payment for and waited months for the scope to arrive, only to find it didn't have a feature that *I* promised the buyer because it was stated in the description.

My understanding is that the new scopes are 100% functional. Todd briefly offered a scope upgrade kit for owners of the first gen scope that wanted to upgrade it to be functional like the second gen scopes (functional lenses, reticle, inner lens holder, etc.) My question to him was in regards to those parts.

My understanding is that the new scopes are 100% functional. Todd briefly offered a scope upgrade kit for owners of the first gen scope that wanted to upgrade it to be functional like the second gen scopes (functional lenses, reticle, inner lens holder, etc.) My question to him was in regards to those parts.

It is completely functional but the lenses are not focusable... which bugs me not a bit because it goes on my toy blaster pistol. Even for the guys with live-fires, if you put the gun up to your face close enough to use a rifle scope it'd cave in a cheek bone when the gun came back and busted you in the head.

Only an Aimpoint-style scope works with a real world pistol. Todd's scope is amazing... somebody someday may do the legwork to make functioning ground lenses of the caliber necessary to make the scope focusable, but only if Todd gets to make a bunch more... which we all hope will be the case. :)

Hey todd, question about the scopes. I ordered mine a little while ago and just checking the status as I see people are getting theirs. I have the rest of your kit and thanks, fantastic is all I can say

Hi Kevin926, sorry I don't know when your scope is shipping, but I hope all backordered scopes will be shipped by the end of the week. We are closing in on the end of the list!

About the function of the scope - we didn't know they wouldn't focus, but I guess there is more to making a telescope than just sticking some lenses in a tube. We had an optical company spec a complete set of original lenses, but they're blurry. At the end of the day, it's still a prop, not a viable rifle scope and far from a viable pistol scope. If the focus was sharp, it would be icing on the cake, but oh well... You still have a complete scope replica. If someone figures out what to adjust, great.

About the engraving, the smaller lettering (newer version) is correct.

Hi Kevin926, sorry I don't know when your scope is shipping, but I hope all backordered scopes will be shipped by the end of the week. We are closing in on the end of the list!

About the function of the scope - we didn't know they wouldn't focus, but I guess there is more to making a telescope than just sticking some lenses in a tube. We had an optical company spec a complete set of original lenses, but they're blurry. At the end of the day, it's still a prop, not a viable rifle scope and far from a viable pistol scope. If the focus was sharp, it would be icing on the cake, but oh well... You still have a complete scope replica. If someone figures out what to adjust, great.

About the engraving, the smaller lettering (newer version) is correct.

Please get back to me, when the rejected package reaches the US.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back