The original Fluffy from Creepshow

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all!

We've finally gotten this project posted on our site! Conservation and display of the original Creepshow Fluffy costume and puppet

We had the great pleasure to work with two very cool Creepshow props - the original "attack head" puppet and the original wearable costume and mask for "Fluffy" the crate beast. Tom Savini created these props for the film and I still remember the first time I picked up Tom's "Grande Illusions" book for the first time and just devoured all the great behind the scenes pics and info about his creations. It was an honor to work on a creature that inspired me so many years ago!

Our client, Jack Morrissey, has given Fluffy a great home. He approached us with such passion for the character and its history… and an open-ness to all manner of creativity when it came to the ultimate display, which included heavy duty theme work, lights and even sounds and music from the film. Special thanks to Jack, as well as Greg Nicotero for all his input as well!

Honestly, I could talk forever about Fluffy, but instead I'll let the photos do the talking.

That said, if you DO want to hear me talk about Fluffy, then check out our video about it! The Original Fluffy from Creepshow - Movie Prop/Costume Conservation and Display - YouTube

By the way, those who follow our Facebook page have seen some great behind the scenes shots, so be sure to like us over there too!

Enjoy the pics and thanks for looking!

Tom

Preserving the attack head hand puppet:
fluffy-3_1.jpg

Restoring and Conserving the original costume and mask:
fluffy-8_1.jpg
fluffy-10_1.jpg

Recreating the crate from the movie:

fluffy-13-creepshow-crate-replica-prop-display_1.jpg

The finished display:

fluffy-25-crate-beast-movie-costume-display_1.jpg
fluffy-23-crate-beast-movie-costume-display_1.jpg

Great display! I love the inscription on the bottom.

Thanks! We put quite a few little nods and homages into the various labels on the crates. It was a great opportunity to pay tribute to the folks that made him, and give a hat tip to the people that worked on the display :)

Thanks to all for the kudos, by the way! We put so much work into this one, and I hope it's clear we had some fun with it too :)

Tom

Very cool to see the restoration process - thanks for sharing! I especially like the little nods on the crates!

Do collectors consider these restorations to increase the value of the prop? On one hand it looks much better and will now last longer, but on the other it's no longer the sole product of the original creator(s.) I ask because I have a prop that I've considered restoring but I'm concerned about making even the slightest change...

Very cool to see the restoration process - thanks for sharing! I especially like the little nods on the crates!

Do collectors consider these restorations to increase the value of the prop? On one hand it looks much better and will now last longer, but on the other it's no longer the sole product of the original creator(s.) I ask because I have a prop that I've considered restoring but I'm concerned about making even the slightest change...

Thanks, Jd! We tried to have fun with the crates for sure.

As for how collectors feel about value after conservation work, I think that depends a lot on the collector, the way in which the work was conducted (i.e.: how respectful the conservators were of the original material, if the work took steps towards overall preservation, etc), the original condition of the prop and/or the materials used for the prop.

I can say we've had many of our clients tell us they feel our work has added value to their pieces, whether it be subtle repair work (like strengthening the area around a crack that might otherwise have expanded and become a larger issue for the prop) or a more dramatic restoration. In some cases, the props that come to us are in such dire shape that without conservation work, they might be lost entirely, making the value added relatively obvious.

There are also things like proper display (and supportive conservation form display), which can also add quite a bit of value, again, depending on collector taste, of course.

The important thing for us here at TSD is to be as respectful as we can of the original material, change as little as possible while still taking steps to preserve, support and improve the way a prop displays and to arrive at the proper level of care based on in depth conversations with the clients that take into account their desires for the piece, balanced against the materials/condition of the prop and what it can safely "bear".

That's probably a little bit of a longer answer than you were after but it's a subject we've got a lot of experience with. If you ever want to discuss your prop, please drop me a line and I'd be happy to give it a good look for you. Contact Tom Spina Designs

best,
Tom

Hey Tom! Thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy response - I really appreciate that! I will definitely be contacting you to discuss a possible restoration. I have some ideas already!!

Very cool as always Tom!

Years ago, a Planet Hollywood had a Fluffy mask. I believe it was the PH in Rome (nearly certain it was in Europe). Wonder if this may be the same one...

Last edited:
Thanks, Jd! We tried to have fun with the crates for sure.

As for how collectors feel about value after conservation work, I think that depends a lot on the collector, the way in which the work was conducted (i.e.: how respectful the conservators were of the original material, if the work took steps towards overall preservation, etc), the original condition of the prop and/or the materials used for the prop.

I can say we've had many of our clients tell us they feel our work has added value to their pieces, whether it be subtle repair work (like strengthening the area around a crack that might otherwise have expanded and become a larger issue for the prop) or a more dramatic restoration. In some cases, the props that come to us are in such dire shape that without conservation work, they might be lost entirely, making the value added relatively obvious.

There are also things like proper display (and supportive conservation form display), which can also add quite a bit of value, again, depending on collector taste, of course.

The important thing for us here at TSD is to be as respectful as we can of the original material, change as little as possible while still taking steps to preserve, support and improve the way a prop displays and to arrive at the proper level of care based on in depth conversations with the clients that take into account their desires for the piece, balanced against the materials/condition of the prop and what it can safely "bear".

That's probably a little bit of a longer answer than you were after but it's a subject we've got a lot of experience with. If you ever want to discuss your prop, please drop me a line and I'd be happy to give it a good look for you. Contact Tom Spina Designs

best,
Tom

Hi Tom - Just a heads up that I called your office and left you a message! I'm sure you're busy with the holidays, but I'm interested in chatting with you when you're free. I left my cell number in the message. It's regarding a screen used Nightmare on Elm St. prop that's in dire need of some help. Looking forward to talking with you! - Joe

Very cool as always Tom!

Years ago, a Planet Hollywood had a Fluffy mask. I believe it was the PH in Rome (nearly certain it was in Europe). Wonder if this may be the same one...

Maybe if it was something Savini loaned and then came back to him? Though my impression was this never really left Savini's office for many years...

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tom - Just a heads up that I called your office and left you a message! I'm sure you're busy with the holidays, but I'm interested in chatting with you when you're free. I left my cell number in the message. It's regarding a screen used Nightmare on Elm St. prop that's in dire need of some help. Looking forward to talking with you! - Joe

Thanks Joe... dropped you a line back and look forward to hearing more!

Always great to see your work, Tom.

Thanks Bizarro Lois, means a lot to us!

Fluffy New Year to everyone ;)

Tom

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back