Zer0's Sword - Borderlands 2 - Laser cut/3D Printed (Picture Heavy)

Dainbramage546

Zer0's Sword - Borderlands 2

Here's the build thread for a replica of Zer0's sword that I'm currently working on!

For reference here's a picture of Zer0 with his sword.
8427867446_35d116b436.jpg

I started by making a mock up 2d blue print of the sword in AutoCad.
8427857020_fc1fb0269f.jpg

The blade was cut out of 2 sheets of 3/16" light blue acrylic on a laser cutter.
8427857238_c6b9dafb86.jpg

8427857164_45262d8d2a.jpg

I didn't take a picture of it but the housing surrounding the blade was cut from 1/8" clear acrylic that will be painted a metallic gray.

Next Nick 3d modeled the handle to fit the blade and for room for wiring and a 9volt battery to power the LEDs. We recently got in 2 MakerBot Replicator 2s at school and I'm one of the people in charge of beta testing them before students get to use them.
8427857592_e6a092418e.jpg

8427857694_ec810f2fe2.jpg

8426768645_332ac268a0.jpg

The prototype hilt pieces were printed with clear pla. After tweaking them a little I printed them in black PLA.
8427856688_ae71b4b0be.jpg

8427856582_c16a012c3c.jpg

There's more pictures on my flickr account of the 3d printing process if you're interested!

After removing the support material it was time for a test fit.
8426768167_f134c28d0f.jpg

Here's a pic of all of the piece of the sword setting on my desk.
8426768079_952bf8df9d.jpg

Test fit time! The handle is double that length but the piece wasn't cleaned up yet when I took this picture.
8427856516_7d9538dcea.jpg

Right now parts are sitting in a spray booth drying. The LED strip came in yesterday and hopefully we can get this wired up today or tomorrow! More updates coming soon!

Awsome work mate, Are going to make a Zer0 Helmet ? Also will you be selling Zer0 swords / helmets? (If you will make any) :)

Awesome. What are you using for the blade section?

The blade is made out of several layers of acrylic, specifically a light blue that will be illuminated with a long LED strip on the inside. When I put it together I'll take some pictures that will show it a little better

Awsome work mate, Are going to make a Zer0 Helmet ? Also will you be selling Zer0 swords / helmets? (If you will make any) :)

I don't know about helmets, I've never made any before so we'll have to see. As for the swords I think we can work something out :)

Wow! This sword does look awesome, I don't wanna be "that guy" but the blade does look shorter than the actual sword length, but still, its the best sword I've seen yet!

Wow! This sword does look awesome, I don't wanna be "that guy" but the blade does look shorter than the actual sword length, but still, its the best sword I've seen yet!
Thanks! Yeah, I made drafts of the actual size of the sword and the blade came out to roughly 4.5' long, a little much haha This one is scaled back a little and the blade is roughly 35" with 10" for the hilt/handle if I remember right.

Cool man, I'm curious to know how long did the hilt take to print on the MakerBot Replicator?
There are two main pieces which took 2 hours each, two smaller pieces that took 1 hour each, and the bottom cap which took around half an hour! All were done on medium quality.

Very Impressive! This is one of the reasons why I Love the RPF ... getting introduced to new and cool stuff I'd otherwise never see.

You've done a great job making it and I can't wait to see it all lit up ... I'll be keeping an eye out in the junkyard when the time comes :love

How durable will that acrylic blade be? Not that you're going to be doing stunts or anything with it but doesn't it make you a bit nervous?

Just a quick update on the sword: All of the pieces are painted/weathered and the LEDs are wired up and ready to go. It just needs some minimal dremel work to make the wires fit snuggly and then it's ready for some epoxy! I'll upload some more pictures when I have a little more time!

How durable will that acrylic blade be? Not that you're going to be doing stunts or anything with it but doesn't it make you a bit nervous?

It did at first but it's two layers of 3/16 together so it's got a good thickness to it, as well as 1/8 on each side of that. The test fit seemed solid with just the tape so I'm hoping the epoxy is even better. We might run a metal rod through the whole thing just to be safe as well.

Makerbot replicator 2 does a great job by the looks of it cant wait to get my own :) sword looks stunning great work!

Thanks! Yeah, the replicators are amazing for how little (relatively speaking) they cost. They're so user friendly with great print quality on medium. We have 2 right now and are looking at possibly adding two more 2s or a 2x.

Very Impressive! This is one of the reasons why I Love the RPF ... getting introduced to new and cool stuff I'd otherwise never see.

You've done a great job making it and I can't wait to see it all lit up ... I'll be keeping an eye out in the junkyard when the time comes :love

Thanks, me neither! I just finished weathering it and it should be done here in the next few days depending on how busy I am. I'll keep you updated on that :)

Colour me impressed! I want to do a Zer0 cosplay so bad

Thanks :) Me too, if only I was any good at making helmets ha

Just a quick update on the sword! I've been swamped with school and work lately so I haven't had as much time to work on this as I would like but it's getting there.

8483175298_f536f6e3fc.jpg

The LED lighting for the sword will be this strip running along the side of the blade.

8483175808_960c88b9eb.jpg

Some of the parts laying out on my desk.

8482083471_28ea51bbcd.jpg

Parts of the sword in the spray booth.

8483173412_a9aaea2373.jpg

Just doing some light weathering.

8483173168_da11622f8e.jpg

Gluing part of the blade together! We're using a clear epoxy.

It's going to be a busy week for me with a big project deadline coming up soon but I'd like to get the majority of this done in the next week! More updates soon!

Here's the next update on the sword! It's done except for installing the switch in the handle.

DlmI6bNl.jpg

tnxbVOal.jpg

The pieces.

bdgGNldl.jpg

TVbdQU3l.jpg

BXRI1jvl.jpg

h7zPBLzl.jpg

Installing the LEDs!

zi6VHyKl.jpg

TRFJyXpl.jpg

KpKFksMl.jpg

Here's a close up of the frosted blade!

WEtpWZQl.jpg

Oe3mnELl.jpg

GABfoOWl.jpg

vtKqRZJl.jpg

mHpKN2kl.jpg

Qyr76nbl.jpg

vvLNMa4l.jpg

jLrj3S6l.jpg

ccZQrc8l.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back