yippee

Originally posted by Scarecrow@Jan 11 2006, 10:06 AM
Is it just me or is the mask really inaccurate?
[snapback]1156043[/snapback]​
You right, the dimensions are not correct, you can find more info on this at JEz's site starwarshelmets.com. Basically it would seem that steve Altmann did not use original moulds even though he is the only licensed person in Austrailia to make star wars stuff (or was) but they did their own cast which led to not quite screen accuracy, i mainly got it as a collectors piece which is what it is meant for.
However, i was going to use it to troop until something better came along, i have a rubies but this is very heavy, difficult to see out of those crappy lenses and not correct color scheme. I may even have the guts to try and mod the rubies one day :thumbsup

You right, the dimensions are not correct, you can find more info on this at JEz's site starwarshelmets.com. Basically it would seem that steve Altmann did not use original moulds even though he is the only licensed person in Austrailia to make star wars stuff (or was) but they did their own cast which led to not quite screen accuracy, i mainly got it as a collectors piece which is what it is meant for.
However, i was going to use it to troop until something better came along, i have a rubies but this is very heavy, difficult to see out of those crappy lenses and not correct color scheme. I may even have the guts to try and mod the rubies one day :thumbsup
[snapback]1156045[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The mod on the Rubies is easier than you think DD. I am new to costuming and prop making, like yourself. I had never done a mod on any sort of costume piece before but I did my Rubies as soon as it arrived and I was pleased with the way it turned out. And I have never considered myself to have the steadiest hand or the most keen eye and I still did well.

The Rubies helmet, once modded, looks pretty darn good.

Hi Darth Kant, i know the helmet looks really cool when modded, i may find the courage to do it. There are little issues though. For example, i don't have a dremmel or airbrush thing for painting, as i am not really a prop maker i would find little use for tools like them so effectiveley would only use them once, a bit of a waste really. unless any one else has any suggestions?

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 12 2006, 02:34 PM
Hi Darth Kant, i know the helmet looks really cool when modded, i may find the courage to do it. There are little issues though. For example, i don't have a dremmel or airbrush thing for painting, as i am not really a prop maker i would find little use for tools like them so effectiveley would only use them once, a bit of a waste really. unless any one else has any suggestions?
[snapback]1157200[/snapback]​

...I don't think that you absolutely need a Dremel.....a good sharp utility knife, file, and varying grit sandpaper would do. Also, an airbrush isn't a necessity either....automotive aerosol paints are what's typically used. There are some great tutorials on the 'net and some guys have achieved amazing results for the Rubies to look like an OT lid....

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 12 2006, 04:52 PM
...I don't think that you absolutely need a Dremel.....a good sharp utility knife, file, and varying grit sandpaper would do. Also, an airbrush isn't a necessity either....automotive aerosol paints are what's typically used. There are some great tutorials on the 'net and some guys have achieved amazing results for the Rubies to look like an OT lid....
[snapback]1157260[/snapback]​

I agree with Kev about the paint. I used automotive spray paint myself and it turned out excellent, I don't own an airbrush yet either.

I have to disagree with not having a Dremel. I tried Kev's suggestion with the sharp knife and file and it just does not work. You really need a Dremel or the equivalent rotary tool to do all the fine work. It makes the job so much easier, the knife has a tendancy to slip and may take chunks out of the mask. The Dremel glides through the thick plastic like a hot knife through butter. I went out and bought a Dremel for my Rubies specifically and they are pretty cheap for a basic starter kit.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Jan 12 2006, 03:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Jan 12 2006, 03:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 12 2006, 04:52 PM

I agree with Kev about the paint. I used automotive spray paint myself and it turned out excellent, I don't own an airbrush yet either.

I have to disagree with not having a Dremel. I tried Kev's suggestion with the sharp knife and file and it just does not work. You really need a Dremel or the equivalent rotary tool to do all the fine work. It makes the job so much easier, the knife has a tendancy to slip and may take chunks out of the mask. The Dremel glides through the thick plastic like a hot knife through butter. I went out and bought a Dremel for my Rubies specifically and they are pretty cheap for a basic starter kit.
[snapback]1157267[/snapback]​
[/b]

....I didn't say it was easy.....just not absolutely necessary. :p

....but you're right, using a Dremel or other rotary tool will make progress much quicker.
.....cheap rotary tools can be found if you look....Canadian Tire (here in Canada) had them on sale with 49 attachements for $9.99...marked down from $39.99. I bought a few as gifts for Xmas....

Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 12 2006, 09:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 12 2006, 09:06 PM)</div>
Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Jan 12 2006, 03:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 12 2006, 04:52 PM

[snapback]1157267[/snapback]​

....but you're right, using a Dremel or other rotary tool will make progress much quicker.
.....cheap rotary tools can be found if you look....Canadian Tire (here in Canada) had them on sale with 49 attachements for $9.99...marked down from $39.99. I bought a few as gifts for Xmas....
[snapback]1157276[/snapback]​
[/b]
I assume these rotary tools come with a cutting disc type thing, i have had a look for them at local stores here in uk, they seem to be pretty pricey. Also, when you say automotive paints (in cans) did you spray straight from the can, i didn't think this would give a good finish

Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 12 2006, 09:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 12 2006, 09:06 PM)</div>
[/b]

True..... true.... my bad..... :lol

<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Jan 12 2006, 07:12 PM
I assume these rotary tools come with a cutting disc type thing, i have had a look for them at local stores here in uk, they seem to be pretty pricey. Also, when you say automotive paints (in cans) did you spray straight from the can, i didn't think this would give a good finish
[snapback]1157371[/snapback]​

The paint gave a fine finish to my helmet after a couple coats of clear coat. I was very happy.

Yes, the rotary tools come with a cutter and also very small grinding attachments which you use int he corners and can also use of the plastic itself. Try looking for other brands besides Dremel if you want to save some $$. I dunno about the UK but you can get other brands for cheaper here in Canada.

[/quote]

....also try online for the rotaries......

..for the painting, you're going to want to do multiple coats, while wet-sanding between coats.....gives a smoother finish....

....also try online for the rotaries......

..for the painting, you're going to want to do multiple coats, while wet-sanding between coats.....gives a smoother finish....
[snapback]1157471[/snapback]​
[/quote]
ok thanks, so i can spray straight from the can, does this not leaves drips etc? Is there a method to prevent this, also, i assume wetsanding inbetween acts as a key for the next coat? How mant coats of black did you use Kev? (sorry if i keep asking this but i wanna make sure i don't screw it up)

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 13 2006, 06:21 AM
ok thanks, so i can spray straight from the can, does this not leaves drips etc? Is there a method to prevent this, also, i assume wetsanding inbetween acts as a key for the next coat? How mant coats of black did you use Kev? (sorry if i keep asking this but i wanna make sure i don't screw it up)
[snapback]1157796[/snapback]​
Yes, wetsanding in between is a key, especially when you put on the clearcoat.

I think I used three coats of gloss black.

Kev, do you actually mod a Rubies yourself?

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Jan 13 2006, 08:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Jan 13 2006, 08:41 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Jan 13 2006, 06:21 AM
[snapback]1157796[/snapback]​
Yes, wetsanding in between is a key, especially when you put on the clearcoat.

I think I used three coats of gloss black.

Kev, do you actually mod a Rubies yourself?
[snapback]1157856[/snapback]​
[/b]

Not yet...but I refinished a DPS CA Vader that I had a couple of years ago....pretty much the same thing. There was a crack in it that I had to fill, sand and shape....it was like doing bodywork on a car. I sold it awhile ago, but I still may have pix somewhere...

Either way, I find that wetsanding with a fine grit in between coats gets rid of any drips or pitting that may occur when using aerosols. Make sure that you clean the nozzle after each use by spraying the can for a few seconds while upside down....also don't hold the can to close to your work or the paint may go on blotchy.

I had used two coats of primer and 2 coats of black/gun metal as the finish coats....I then sealed it with a coat of clear. It looked great, but I did have some flex cracks from the vinyl over time.....

Newer paints with flex agents will solve this problem....

Hope all this info has been of some help to you Mark.

I think you really should try the mod, it will be a great learning experience for you. It certainly was for me.

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Jan 14 2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks KEV and D. Kant, i think i will have to have a go, i'll let you a know when i begin by posting a thread, cheers for advice
[snapback]1159248[/snapback]​

No problem, feel free to PM or email me if you need any help... that's what this place is all about.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back