workbench- Ertl tydirium and falcon progress

bwize

Sr Member
Hello all, here is what i have been working on recently. the ertl shuttle tydirium has been going through a transformation to better fit the fx miniature. i have the cockpit basicly completed, just need the ramp and the topside neck detailed out. i have lowered the overall profile by removing the upper deck and trimming about 1/4 inch and then reattatching it. the forward bulkhead is being rebuilt and the rear bulkhead was still salvagable. the cockpit is a total scratchbuild. the first atttempt was a hybrid of kit part and scratchbuild. after about three to four attempt, i decided to scratch the whole thing. this is my final attempt, its not exact, but very close. i used a patent diagram for the final result, but still may have gotten it a bit too long. the cockpit glass just snaps into place like the studio model, but its rather snug and hard to get out once in, so sorry no pics of it yet. i am trying not to hanlde it too much to keep a nice smooth finish. the top wing will be scratched as well with a acrylic sheet core and styrene details. i have also progresed on my falcon since last time and it is VERY near the primer stage. so, take a look and tell me what ya think.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=6278431&uid=3091117&members=1

Bryan

Niiiiiiiiice, I once cutomized my Shuttle Tydirium but wasnt happy with it,so now I have another one sitting in the closet waiting to be build movie accurate and 2 other Falcons as well.Please keep the pics coming.

They both look really great!

I am SLOWLY working on the Falcon myself. I know what you mean on getting detail crazy. It can get out of hand.

One question- the pic of the bottom of the Falcon, it looks like you replaced the bottom gun disc to accomodate a stand or support rod. Is this what you are doing? If so, how are you doing that? I want to support mine on a pole stand of some sort but am having trouble figuring out how to go about it.Please keep those pics coming!!

Thanks metallboy and binkleywalker for looking and commenting. i am trying to finish these for the star wars contest over at starshipmodler for epIII. the falcon has been a labor of love for about three years now, off and on. the shuttle is fairly recent. i had considered converting the large shuttle toy into a decent model, but decided that the kit was cheaper and much easier to display.

binkleywalker, as for the falcon's mounting point; i cut a disc out of sheet slightly larger than the gun well hole and cut a hole in the center one size smaller than the tube that i would insert. this allowed me to really get a good snug fit as i lightly sanded the opening until the tube was a good tight fit. i cut the tube to a length that would slightly extend out of the model to help support the tube (i had seen this done one some of the studio models). it runs straight up into the interior, perpendicular, and was secured to the underside of the topside gunwell window, dead center. the tube was the same diameter as the flat portion in the center. i makes for a very sturdy support. i had considered securing the tube at an angle for a dramatic display, but decided that i would bend the support rod that would run from the the base rather to have some felxibility. i had concidered doing what they did on the studio model and epoxie a rod in the kit from one docking clamp to another and get a t-rod (not sure if that is the right term) fiting to run down into the bottom gunwell for three moutning points ( the studio had a total of 6). hope that helps.

Bryan

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
animetronic wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Where the heck did you get your Falcon accurizing kit? I have been looking for one of those for years. I cant find one anywhere!

josh
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I got it a few years ago from falconkits.com when they were pentiful. i heard that they are outsourcing the casting so maybe they will be available again. just check with them and see whats going on.

Bryan

well, the outsourcing has been fairly recent i think. the site says that they are finally filling orders and that those who have not gotten a response in the past should try again. good luck.

here is where i currently am with my shuttle.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=6646666&uid=3250171&members=1

i work pretty slow but i managed to get the core for the new upper wing cut out last night. i used the score and snap methode. i had an adjusted side profile schematic from TF.net and tacked it onto a piece of acrylic sheet and scored away. the green wing is just the protective covering of the acrylic sheet and i though this view hepled to express the overall shape of the wing. it wasn't perfect in a coulpe of areas, but the outer skin will take care of that. The cockpit/neck as well as the forward bulkhead are scratchbuilt with a little kitbashing thrown in. i am hoping to get it done in time for the star wars contest over at starshipmodeler, but i work two jobs and i sometimes don't get things done in a timely manner. well, let me know what you think.

Bryan

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back