Wookiee suit Questions

MrBackpack

Since discovering my latex allergy the hard way, I'm putting my original comic con/halloween costume on the back burner for the time being.

I was going through my backlog of youtube videos and I stumbled upon this video of Adam Savage as Chewbacca at SDCC.

This got me thinking, why don't I see more wookies at cons and why don't I make my own Chewie costume.

After some googling of my own, most of the sources for wookiee making were several years old and described astronomical costs far above what I can really afford to spend, even over the course of a year or longer. However, even with that in mind, Mr. Savage talked about how the wookiee suit materials were not all that expensive and it was all labor.

Are there new resources to making a wookiee that I can't find via a simple google search?

If not, what kind of materials do I need to buy in order to construct a Chewie/wookiee?

Also, if I shouldn't be linking youtube to this forum, sorry.

EDIT: i cannot believe that I misspelled 'wookiee'

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the most common way is to make a mesh suit and latch hook kanekalon hair onto the suit. Depending on which Wookiee you are doing like Chewbacca or Tarfull, you will have to look up which kanekalon hair to use. Or if your making your own costume wookie then go with what you like. Example blonde, black, brown, mix, ect. The kanekalon hair is usually Around $3 a bag, you will need a lot of these bags.
Most of the labor is actually put into the latch hooking. Look around the forum we have quite a few impressive Chewbacca WIPs that you can go over. Hope fully I can make one soon as its on my to do list for my cosplay :)

Well the most common way is to make a mesh suit and latch hook kanekalon hair onto the suit. Depending on which Wookiee you are doing like Chewbacca or Tarfull, you will have to look up which kanekalon hair to use. Or if your making your own costume wookie then go with what you like. Example blonde, black, brown, mix, ect. The kanekalon hair is usually Around $3 a bag, you will need a lot of these bags.
Most of the labor is actually put into the latch hooking. Look around the forum we have quite a few impressive Chewbacca WIPs that you can go over. Hope fully I can make one soon as its on my to do list for my cosplay :)

Thanks, would you happened to know about how many bags of the hair that I would need and from where?

I've seen some on amazon, but they're charging $2.99 per bag + $1.99 per bag shipping.

You want to buy hair from texas beauty supply or ikickshins.com. I'd recommend ikickshins because they have all the colours you need (#27, #4, #6, and #44) I Kick Shins ~ Affordable Hairpieces and Extension Supplies scroll down a bit and you can buy in bulk. I started out with about 20 bags of #27, 10 bags of #44, 5 bags of #6 and 2 bags of #4. I've had to buy more since, but thats because I was a bit over zealous in my hair tying.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back