WIP: D9 weapon, can you guess???

Rocker

Ok, so I'm new to the RPF and I have really enjoyed being inspired by all the creativity around here. I myself usualy like to wait 'till something is complete before I share it with anybody but you guys/gals aren't just anybody. So in keeping with the sprirt of what this place is all about, it's time for me to share what I've been working on. I titled this thread "D9 weapon, can you guess ???" but I think it's pretty obvious what it is. I chose this for several reasons (one of which was requests from a friend) but I had no idea how intense the process would be starting from nothing but movie stills and then the later DVD for referance. I must have zoomed,slow motioned and paused the DVD a million times to calculate this baby. It actualy appears several times in the movie in different forms and paint schemes. I chose the most famous scene where wickus gains his freedom which means of course that I will be distressing the weapon when I'm done painting it. The other hard part was that I couldn't settle for it to just be static. Oh no, not me! :wacko I just couldn't stand the thought of me holding this baby in my hands making "pow pow pow" noises with my mouth so it will have a working trigger (if you've got the right DNA) light up and have sound and have a light up spinning "barrel". I'll share more pics later and what is actualy inside the thing but for now here are a few photos of my WIP. Hope you find it interesting and now if you'll excuse me I have to finish this one so I can get my life back! (besides, someone needs to fill those little replica prawn hands with something this Christmas) Ho Ho Ho !

View attachment 28220

View attachment 28221

View attachment 28222

View attachment 28223

Last edited:

ci109778488030059779.jpg

Very cool! Wish I knew you needed images! I had some higher res ones of this gun.

Great work so far!

FB

hey, the projects not over until the paint dries. I'll still take any additional images that I can get, thanks. I am going with the black and white paint theme of the one that Wikus used to blast his way out of the shack but I know the structure is the same no matter what the paint color. Thanks again!

So I posted this pretty late last night so I don't think many people got to see it but the work continues on it this morning. I have started the canisters that go front and back but I haven't taken pics yet. I was going to house the battery that powers this guy in one of the canisters but oddly enough it will now be placed in the hose for easy removal. I didn't want to ruin the body of the weapon with a visable battery compartment. It would look too much like a toy and KIDS....we all know that Alien weapons brought to earth by prawn like creatures are not toys...right?

The "fwoosh cannon" is one of my favorites - and your build is looking brilliant so far. Can't wait to see more!

Is any of this kitbashed, or are you scratching the whole thing?

Also... it kind of looks like you have enough parts for multiples. You planning on making any molds of this beast?

The "fwoosh cannon" is one of my favorites - and your build is looking brilliant so far. Can't wait to see more!

Is any of this kitbashed, or are you scratching the whole thing?

Also... it kind of looks like you have enough parts for multiples. You planning on making any molds of this beast?

I pretty much build from scratch except for the occasional trips to lowes or home depot when I would see something in the isle and say "hey, I could use that for ....." and so it goes. I figured I'd start making parts for four of these. Reason; One as a guinne pig to test and modify the final design. one for spare parts in case I ruined something. One to keep as a possible mold pattern. And of course one for ME! So far they are all coming along well. Unless I was going to make this as a static prop, I was pretty much forced to build this as if I were making an actual weapon. I had to design a working trigger with two points of contact. The first for "start up" mode that activates sound and flashing LEDs. The second point to activate the spining internal barrel "turbine" with both constant LEDS and "chasing" and flashing LEDs. There is a lot of labor intensive internal micro wiring into this dude. I didn't realize what I got myself into but now that I can see the finish line my energy has resumed. besides, you never know when some gangsta's are going to accuse you of "doin' it doggy style wit da demoon" I'll have to pop a cap into them!

man, you are rocking this build!!! no pun intended. PLEASE MORE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wonder if you sould put in a spinning light thing kinda like the led lights they use for the ironman builds?? that would be too cool!

man, you are rocking this build!!! no pun intended. PLEASE MORE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wonder if you sould put in a spinning light thing kinda like the led lights they use for the ironman builds?? that would be too cool!

Thanks, actualy the inside of the barrel will have amber and yellow flashing and constant LEDs for the inside glow effect. The metal turbine "blade" will spin in a clockwise direction and the backfacing yellow LEDS hidden in the front barrel flange will be set to "chase" in a counter clockwise rotation. I've tested it out and it gives a glowing spinning motion effect. I made the blade out of sheet metal with polished wired brush scuff markings so it actualy reflects light pretty well.

Here's some useful info on this gun:

It's technically called the Alien Medical Tool. Initially it was supposed to be a medical device. I was told that the scene with Wikus and the Warlord initially used the Alien Teleporter (Very Big Orange Gun) but it was too large and bulky to use.

The Alien Medical Tool (The White Gun) ended up being used instead. The Alien Teleporter was supposed to teleport chinks of matter and was used for mining.

The Alien Medical Tool was now referred to as the Sonic Force Gun.

FB

Silly me! Making something that I had no idea what to call it. humm...the.....Sonic Force Gun.........I like it! It's kinda like admiring a girl from across the room and then finding out what her name is. You know the saying, "a rose by any other name" and all that ...Thanks for the info FB!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back