Who uses mannequins for bases for thier sculpts?

Makrel Johnson

I've been hard pressed to get a body mold done because I'm in a transition of ever-increasing work outs to get int a decent shape and I also don't have experienced help that could whip up a body cast (I know whip up is a little understated). I was looking at snagging a mannequin to start laying things out and basically honing on-body sculpting skills and whatnot while I continued getting in the shape I want to be in. My biggest problem is that I have a size 50 chest that is, actually, mostly muscle and rib cage (quite barrel-chested). I do expect that I'll possibly be reducing it a little if I don't get too much muscle put on.

With that said I was looking at mannequins that are decently affordable and they seem to have, at most, a 40" chest. I did find bodybuilder mannequins but they're in a specific pose that I think I'd find difficult to use. What I figured is I'd have to make a 'fat jacket' for the regular one it to bring it up to at least a 48 (US) and then work off of that. Has anyone taken this approach before? I have tried the duct tape dummy route but I'm not happy with how it turns out. It seems to 'round out' where it expands front to back when filled and foamed to make it workable.

I've spent a lot of time reading and watching videos about casting body parts and I think I could do a leg or arm myself (maybe) but it'd be ridiculous to try to do a trunk myself. I'd greatly appreciate some direction - whether it be just wait and do a mold or some pointers on working with the mannequins that don't quite match your size. I'll keep scouring TheRPF and YouTUBE and Thanks in advance for the tips.

-Makrel

I'm no expert but I guess a body cast would be the best option ultimately as long as you can get a couple of trustworthy friends to help.

Regarding your mannequin idea, I don't know that I'd want to use a muscle suit over it :confused Personally I'd want something fairly firm to sculpt too.
Maybe you could get the regular mannequin & use a light weight air dry clay like DAS to bulk up the size a bit, it could also be a good sculpting exercise on its own building the muscles individually to create the overall size & shape your after.

HTH :)
I'm sure the pro's will be along soon :)

I'm no expert but I guess a body cast would be the best option ultimately as long as you can get a couple of trustworthy friends to help.

Regarding your mannequin idea, I don't know that I'd want to use a muscle suit over it :confused Personally I'd want something fairly firm to sculpt too.
Maybe you could get the regular mannequin & use a light weight air dry clay like DAS to bulk up the size a bit, it could also be a good sculpting exercise on its own building the muscles individually to create the overall size & shape your after.

HTH :)
I'm sure the pro's will be along soon :)

Thanks, Leigh, I was actually thinking about a firm surface, like using some epoxy clay or other more hardening medium versus a muscle suit. like a 2 piece vest that would snap on front & back, per se. I get what you mean about not wanting to sculpt on a soft surface.

The only bodybuilding mannequin I've found was in a flex pose and didn't seem to lend itself to laying out pieces. ex: http://www.mannequinmode.com/bodybuilder_mannequin_muscular.jpg

What I was wanting to work with was a pose like this: DIRTCHEAPFIXTURES.COM - Wholesale Packaging and Fixtures Distribution

Ideally I'd like a body cast but I'll have to find help and double the efforts to make a good model.

I have used apoxy clay on mannequins before with much success. It shrinks a little, so take that into acount, but it sticks great and can be shaped to anything. I used it after attaching a Jack Nicholson face to a mannequin head, and beefed up the neck and chest.

I actually like the duck tape method. I had some success with it for my Arnie:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/thegreatgallings-life-size-t-850-terminator-3-a-147444/

There is also some other ways here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/best-way-beef-up-mannequin-69055/

You could try an hunt down an " under armor" mannequin. They are quite big and in normal mannequin poses. Not easy to find but they do pop up on eBay now and then.

Other option is to sculpt the shape you want over an existing mannequin in normal wet clay, seal and wax it, then fiberglass over it.

Once cured, cut it down the sides and take it off, clean out the clay and then fiberglass it back onto the mannequin

UnderArmor mannequin you say? I'll start scouring the web and seeing if I can bug the local sports store managers for dent & scratch ones.

I like the lined ides a lot. I think I'll start with getting a mannequin, a bunch of WED clay and doing some self measurements so I can bulk it out while practicing rough sculpting. Going down that route, I had a few ideas after reading the threads posted above:

Hardest / Likely Asinine: Take a mold of the muscled form, disassembling the mannequin into its parts for ease of casting, and try to use a poured expanding foam between the mold shell and original mannequin pieces. The foam could work well because I can sand and carve a little. I'd probably have to seal the mannequin and use like 10 coats of release, but then I'd have a firm, removable shell. An old He-Man-type toy is coming to mind where you clam-shell the figure in muscles...

Less hard: same as above but let the foam bond to the mannequin so he's permanently plus-sized. Skin with bondo and paint.

Medium / Seemingly smarter: suck it up and try to get help doing a body cast. Maybe there's an art school close by where I can purchase help with pizza and a six pack or two :)

I like the grocery bags and bubble wrap ideas. It'll help save clay and keep the weight under 250 lbs. Lots to think about this weekend. Thanks to everyone...

-Mak

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back