which primer?

The primer I use depends on the subject. If I'm doing a 1/72 kit, like a Fine Molds X-Wing or a kit with details I want to make sure stay crisp, I use Tamiya Fine Detail primer. If it's a larger surface, like the hull of the 1/350 TOS E, then I use a cheaper general purpose primer from a big box store. Usually when I use the cheaper primer it's with the knowledge that I'll be doing some wet sanding to smooth things down since those primers tend to have some tooth. No matter the primer, if you're doing details just make sure to do light coats and check to make sure you're not covering over the detail. In some cases where things are really intricate and small I don't even bother with the primer. The paint has always held tight to small details.

The primer I use depends on the subject. If I'm doing a 1/72 kit, like a Fine Molds X-Wing or a kit with details I want to make sure stay crisp, I use Tamiya Fine Detail primer. If it's a larger surface, like the hull of the 1/350 TOS E, then I use a cheaper general purpose primer from a big box store. Usually when I use the cheaper primer it's with the knowledge that I'll be doing some wet sanding to smooth things down since those primers tend to have some tooth. No matter the primer, if you're doing details just make sure to do light coats and check to make sure you're not covering over the detail. In some cases where things are really intricate and small I don't even bother with the primer. The paint has always held tight to small details.

Good advice; further recommend conducting tests using excess sprue or hidden areas (inside parts) to validate whichever 'system' you're contemplating to make sure everything is compatible. Pretty much any 'sandable' primer can be used, though you may want to decant any 'spray bomb' primers for airbrush application if concerned about thickness of application (cans just don't offer the same control, of course, plus more wastage...) Can be messy, though if not careful; I've used a 'virgin' straw from a can of WD-40 spray lube to insert into the nozzle so I could dump the paint into a jar (the straw goes through a layer of tape over the opening to contain the backspray, but make sure and vent so the pressure doesn't blow the tape off - ask how I know!)
R/ Robert

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back