What's the evolution of the 22/44 pin PCB Activator Switch Theory?

NathanM

In my searching of the forum trying to peg down a solid choice for an activator card to use on my ESB build, I came across a thread about the various theories for what the actual card could be. I noticed that it was mentioned a 22 pin or 44 pin edge connectors.

I'm curious why that was settled on or if that theory has changed?

How did the Otis board or Heald board come into play?

Was it based on the vintage of the board and what would've been readily available at the time?

Maybe there's a thread or threads you can point me to as the discoveries were made as that would just be easier?

Thanks!

Ill chime in (on my phone so is harder to get links)

You have to think about these found parts as the whole item. Props sometimes used pieces of them, which makes them harder to ID. Basically when it comes to plug boards, the contact leads changed over the years. One plug was a whole set of leads, usually much longer than the 2" needed for our lightsabers. As tech advanced, or other types of boards were made, the whole contact area changed and condensed. The big discovery was that our clamp card, with the specific spacing and size, matched that standard plug size. Which happened to be a 1 sided 22 or 2 sided 44 pin contact plug - it was an industry standard for a while I think.

Ill chime in (on my phone so is harder to get links)

You have to think about these found parts as the whole item. Props sometimes used pieces of them, which makes them harder to ID. Basically when it comes to plug boards, the contact leads changed over the years. One plug was a whole set of leads, usually much longer than the 2" needed for our lightsabers. As tech advanced, or other types of boards were made, the whole contact area changed and condensed. The big discovery was that our clamp card, with the specific spacing and size, matched that standard plug size. Which happened to be a 1 sided 22 or 2 sided 44 pin contact plug - it was an industry standard for a while I think.

Thanks! I have something cooking and once it's in hand, I'll hit you up for your insight.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back