Whats the best TOS Enterprise kit?

Harrypotter

Basically I now have the urge to build one, and possibly light it.

So what is the best, easily available, TOS Enterprise and why?

I'm thinking of either the polar lights 1 1000 kit or the revell 1 600 kit, I can also get the amt one easily.

Apologies if its been asked before, I'm on my phone and the search function doesn't work.

Tia

Last edited:
If by best you mean accurate to the original 11 foot studio model, then the Polar Lights 1/1000 kit. The Revell kit is larger and thus easier to light; but not as accurate. If you can wait until the end of the year, Polar Lights is releasing a 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise that may prove to be the most accurate representation yet (sans grid lines). :thumbsup

If you're looking for a simple build, the Round 2 reissue of the old AMT kit would be good. They got rid of the grid lines, and include updated decals.

Most accurate available right now as stated is the Polar Lights 1/1000 scale kit, also reissued by Round 2.

Steve Neill's BIG 66in kit was certainly awesome, but as said he's not offering kits anymore.

The Revell Germany kit has opened windows to ease lighting, but it has very heavy grid line, not just on the saucer but all over it. And it suffers some serious accuracy issues as well.

I'd build the AMT reissue, and wait for the 1/350 kit. In fact I plan to do just that.

Back in the day folks used to get two of the 22-inch "cutaway" kits and build a complete Enterprise that was a bit larger and slightly more accurate than the original AMT kit. You can also get 3rd party resin add-ons to improve accuracy.

Today though I probably wouldn't bother, I'd just wait for the upcoming Round 2 1:350 kit. It looks like the shiz. :cool

K

Polar Lights is releasing a 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise that may prove to be the most accurate representation yet (sans grid lines). :thumbsup

Actually I had thought that the R2 1:350 kit is supposed to have engraved grid lines. Did that change?

K

If by best you mean accurate to the original 11 foot studio model, then the Polar Lights 1/1000 kit. The Revell kit is larger and thus easier to light; but not as accurate. If you can wait until the end of the year, Polar Lights is releasing a 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise that may prove to be the most accurate representation yet (sans grid lines). :thumbsup
Just what everybody else is saying, wait for the 350 kit.
But if you want an accurate model, you'll have to fill in the gridlines. I'm sure those are going to be the problem with that kit.

Phase Pistol I haven't seen any change, I'm sure they are going to be a lot larger than they are stating. I'm still hoping they will go away with high build primer and wet sanding.

Now granted since you don't have an address listed, I don't know whether you have access to the AMT kit or not. If you are in the USA, you should still be able to get them (the standard Round 2 reissue is discontinued, but the Tholian Web boxing is currently available and it has a little better decal sheet). If you are in Europe, the Revell kit is going to be what is available (some distributors still have the AMT kits there, but the prices are disgusting).

I would say for ease of build and a decent size, the 18" AMT Enterprise is probably the best option. It is big, its problems are well understood and reasonably easy to overcome and there is PLENTY of aftermarket for it.

I shot a video that details some of the issues I've encountered with the kit and how easy they can be to correct:

18" Starship Enterprise Building tips and techniques - YouTube

If lighting is what you want to do, the Revell kit while not being AS accurate is the easiest of the currently available Enterprise kits to light since it has the clear window inserts. Its scale is also close enough to that of the AMT kit that some of the resin parts designed to fit the AMT 18" kit should fit the Revell one.

Here is my video review of the Revell kit (a long video, but I try to cover all the bases)
Revell Star Trek 1/600 USS Enterprise In Box Review - YouTube

The Polar Lights 1/1000 kit is the most accurate, but it is small, meaning it isn't as easy to light. Still, it is possible to light if you put the time in to do it. But for a first time lighting project, bigger is better.

Others have mentioned the 22" long TOS Enterprise cutaway that AMT/Ertl did in the 1990s. They are out there, but they can be tough to locate sometimes. I would say it is a good model, but it has some weird issues related to the cutaway parts, so you would probably need to get some resin bits to correct some of those issues. Personally, for the work needed, I would probably recommend going with something more readily available at this time. But it is admittedly more accurate than the 18" and the Revell kit (1/1000 is still more accurate than the cutaway though).

Indeed as others have mentioned, we should be seeing the Polar Lights Round 2 1/350 TOS E hopefully by the end of the year (they are close to the test shot stage right now). All indications are it will be the most accurate TOS E of the lot in injection molded plastic and big enough to handle most lighting projects. But we don't know exactly when it will come out. So the wait could be six months, or it could be closer to 12 months. So if your plan is to do the ultimate TOS E, it might be best to get something more readily available right now to practice on (be it paint technique and/or lighting) then splurge on that one later.

As for long box versus small box E, yes technically the old Long Box AMT Enterprise is more accurate, but the small box kits build easier. And technically they didn't use the long box kit with the clear domes. The Constellation had no domes (since the engines were totally trashed) and even if it did, in 1966-67, they only have the first production version with the white domes (the orange domes in that kit weren't available until the third season and I don't believe they used an AMT kit in season 3 at all). The AMT kit versions were used for a very long shot in "The Trouble with Tribbles" and of course for the Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine". The Constellation footage was reused for the trashed Excalibur in "The Ultimate Computer".

Still, the older kits are perfect if you want to do one of these (crooked pylons and all):

connie8.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I had thought that the R2 1:350 kit is supposed to have engraved grid lines. Did that change?

K

It does have engraved grid lines; you're correct. That is why I stated it is probably going to be the most accurate representation sans (French meaning without) the engraved grid lines. In other words, if it didn't have the engraved grid lines, it would be the most accurate representation to date. :thumbsup

The 1/1000 kit can be made into a very nice model. For my last build I lit the warp engines with a single LED in each and one white LED in the center of the saucer to lgiht the domes.
This was the result:.

IMG_1644-GE6.jpg

If I had the money and the space though I would agree with what others have said and get me one of Steve Neill's half studio scale kits.
Not only is it incredibly accurate but Steve is a great guy and can certainly use the money.
I mean, seriously, check it out:

Last edited:
If you can wait, Round2 is making a 1:350 TOS kit. Still in development, but they are making terrific progress and are trying to make it "the" kit to get.

That said, if you can swing it have Steve build you one -- it's absolutely awesome.

Doug

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back