What's the best stitching to use for a lycra suit?

Alpha4

Just wondering if anyone can advise what is the best type of stitching to use for a lycra suit. I just had my spidey costume sewn but I'm tearing the stitching just getting it on. I think the costume printed a bit too small but the stitching job is pretty poor. I'm just learning to sew and suck pretty bad at it. Thanks in advance for any advise!

Ideally, a stretch suit should be sewn on a serger. Any good seamstress in your area should have one.

-Nick

For intricate/precise seams (think intersections and the like), a straight stretch stitch is great. On my machine (an older model Kenmore), that particular stitch will go forward a few steps, back two, then repeat the process.

For general seam joining, a zig zag stitch is also fine. Most machines will have your basic zig zag that is one stitch per leg. However, some machines will also have a three-step zig zag which is very strong and typically seen on commercially made lingerie. Each leg will have three stitches.

Sergers are also nice to have, however they are out of most people's price ranges and to be honest, they aren't really a necessity for stretchy stuff. I generally stick to a straight stretch stitch for bodysuits, and I just keep my serger around for finishing edges on fabrics before throwing them in the wash and for occasional hems on quick organza/chiffon projects.

Good luck with your repairs!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back