What to use to cast and mold nails?

Brandon1

I started working on making a fallout raider costume and always liked the idea of a baseball bat with nails in it.
Real nails would be easy to put into a wooden bat.. but not exactly safe and I don't think I'd be allowed into any convention areas if I where to ever get the chance to go to one.

So I figured I'd make a small mold and use a real nail to cast. (Ya, I'm recasting a nail)
I know you can make molds from silicone caulking and I even have some Latex rubber made for molds.
I figured I'd get a small container and simply fill it with either silicone or latex and suspend the nail so its head is jsut out of the latex/silicone.

My question is... What would be best for casting? Resin kind of defeats the purpose. So maybe a thick latex would be best? I was almost thinking about using the same latex I made the mold with but it seems to adhere to itself (I've used it to patch small holes in my pred hands).
Is there a way to mix paint into the latex and give it a rusted look? or should I just paint it after?

Some hunters make quills using a clay mold and tooth picks then filling the hole with latex. I know I keep plugging Klean Klay, but it doesn't inhibit silicone curing. I'd stick a nail into some clay and use the calking to fill the mold. You'd have a silicone nail without the head. Paint the nail. Drill a shallow hole in the bat and glue the nail in. Depending on the size of the nail it should look good, if they don't bend under there own weight.

If you are after latex nails with heads on....it's a bit of a pain but you could make a mould of some nails with alginate...then cast some silicone nails in the alginate mold...then when you have your silicone nails you can make a plaster mold ...and cast your latex nails.
Does that make any sense? :D

Well I wanted to do soemthing flexable that wouldn't break under the weight of the bat.

what I was gonna do was only mold the spike part of the nail. I'm not concerned with the head. And as for putting them into the bat I Was going to take the real steel nail and put it into the wood, pull it out, repeat and then jsut super glue the latex nails in.

I'll try a couple of the ways you guys suggest and see what I get.

rubber nails lol isant that somethink you send a new worker down to the hardware store for or sky hooks lol right b you could use a yogot pot then fill with plaster then put the nail in then you could cast in latex even buying a new amount of silicone is going to cost bud :D

rubber nails lol isant that somethink you send a new worker down to the hardware store for or sky hooks lol right b you could use a yogot pot then fill with plaster then put the nail in then you could cast in latex even buying a new amount of silicone is going to cost bud

lol Ya I forgot about that... Plus won't I have to cover the nail in a release agent?
I thought about hot glue as well.. but I'd need a ton of sticks.

I'm just throwing together something to hold the plaster/silicone. looks like its gonna be a paper towel tube.
Think I may have to make a quick run to the local craft store and grab me some cheap plaster.
here are a few nails i grabbed from my garage... I'm going to be using the middle one... for now... lol
1000181e.jpg

Edit: Paper towel = bad idea... I knew it would come apart from the wet plaster lol.. Now I gotta find soemthing thats about 7inches long that isn't to wide for a singal nail. may end up making the mold with multiple nails if I have too make wide one.

Edit again: Found a use for all those left over beer glasses from new years. I hot glued 2 together. My mold is now sitting upstairs drying :D

ok.. so the plaster mold didn't turn out.. the hole is far to small to get latex in. I'll be buying a tube of silicone caulking when I get the chance, and I'm not even sure if that'll work... i think this idea was bound to fail.

1000181e.jpg

do what Hobs said, just sculpt them out of bake and bend clay. they will bend and be stiff enough. plus you can have the head on.

I'll check out the local art shops and see if I can pick up a small amount. I'm not really confident on my sculpting skills.. and making soemthing even such as a nail is probably not going to turn out as well as I'd want it too in my hands.. but meh its worth a try.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back