What is best in life?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Nexus6, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES,
    SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU,
    AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THEIR WOMEN!"

It took me about 2 weeks to finish (an hour here, an hour there):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The wood pieces are actually cedar twigs that I cut from the tree outside my office building. I stained the wood walnut color & gave it a light acrylic brown wash. The leather came from an old belt I haven't worn in years. This project initially turned out to be way more difficult than I'd hoped. I must've broken a dozen branches before I got one to bend into a nice, even, flat circle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that's just too * cool, great work. :thumbsup

3. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool. I like it.

4. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Agreed. This IS a great prop. Nice work. Allot of sweat, and focus, and hard work required:thumbsup

And its 'Lamentation of DA women.' ;)

5. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

What type of pretzil sticks did you use, and were they unsalted, or did you have to pic off the salt :p Just kidding, it looks great :D

6. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

CROM.....

7. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great idea for an unusual replica, very well executed. :thumbsup

Good work on the beard and chest hairs, too. :p

8. shuktuki

shuktuki Sr Member

i gotta make one of them
    any chance of tutorial ?

to many props not enough time.

9. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

:lol

Cool prop.

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool. :thumbsup

11. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dude... I remember doing stuff like that in the '70s but we used colored yarn. :lol

I keed, I keed...

Very cool, I love inexpensive, simple props. Very nicely done.

12. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

*. That looks great. Cool idea.

13. FETTCLONE

FETTCLONE Well-Known Member

Ymir's beard.

Nice work. Going to start on the wheel of pain next? :p

14. Nexus6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shuktuki @ Apr 22 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]1231059[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, there's actually not too much to tutorialize.

1. Find some "green" twigs.

On the advice of a buddy of mine (who is of Native American descent) I used cedar. The branches from every other tree I tried just broke when I attempted to bend them). I just tried to eyeball the size of the circle, comparing it to other objects in the screencaps to determine scale. My circle ended up being 2 3/8" in diameter. Cut the 4 straight pieces slightly longer than that (they can be trimmed later).

2. The RED marks signify where the pieces have to be “opposingly” notched, so they can be “lincoln-logged” to lie flat when crossed. (Note that the horizontal crossbar is shorter, as it fits INSIDE the circle)

3. I wanted the piece to be as authentic as possible, which is why I used twigs (as opposed to dowels) & leather (as opposed to <insert name of fake leather here>). But I took the liberty of applying a super-glue to each contact point so it wouldnÂ’t move around while I wrapped it.

4. The GREEN marks signify where contact is made with NO notching. The ‘Circle/Cross’ assembly sits on top of the ‘X’ (to reiterate, the ‘X’ sits behind the circle/cross).

5. The leather I used was actually too thick once I had cut it into strips, so I had to take my Dremel tool (with a sanding wheel) & thin out the strips (HUGE pain, worth it). Wrap each contact point; the pattern is up to you. I couldn’t begin to “knit-1-pearl-2” a diagram for the wrapping. Just try to make it symmetrical. Also, I soaked the leather in water before wrapping it. My friend (from Step 1 above) told me that it would make the leather more pliable AND that it would shrink up slightly when it dried, making my wraps tighter.

6. I drilled a hole (front-to-back) to install a ring (visible in screencap #5, in my original post) for the necklace cord. I wanted the ring to be strong, so I used a single coil from a small extension spring (painted black).

[​IMG]

ThatÂ’s it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FETTCLONE @ Apr 22 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]1231133[/snapback]</div>
    You want to know what the really crazy (& maybe even pathetic) thing is?

While I was watching it, I CAUGHT myself making mental notes on how the Wheel of Pain was built, & thinking "I could actually BUILD this in my huge backyard..1" Then I thought about all the guys in the white van with the straightjackets, & put that idea "in the vault". :$

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  15. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

"This amulet will protect you from evil..."
    "I AM evil."

A most nifty prop. Did you try soaking the twig used for the circle? My guess is that it would bend easier that way.

16. Nexus6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmilingOtter @ Apr 22 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]1231276[/snapback]</div>
    No need. Once I found a twig that was suitably "green", it bent no problem. I just had to tie it & let it dry...

17. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice work, I was just watching Conan last week, and wondered if anyone had ever made that. :)

18. FETTCLONE

:lol

Aren't all the big prop/set pieces like that? You start looking at it and think about how cool it is. Then you start wondering how it was made, and begin to think "well, I could make that without too much difficulty". Before you know it you're getting one of those looks from a buddy that either turns you back (or worse, eggs you on).

My wife already knows the look I get when I'm figuring something out, but she's pretty cool with stuff like this. :D

19. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Very nicely done. :thumbsup

20. Nexus6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Detroit @ Apr 22 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]1230997[/snapback]</div>
    Heh, I had originally written it out phonetically: "Crush you enemies, see dem driven befwa you, and to heah da lamentation of deah women."

I wasn't sure if people would've thought it was as funny as I did.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ Apr 22 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]1231053[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the beard and chest hairs were the hardest part. Been working on those for almost 37 years. :lol

The yarn & pretzel comments bring the LOL, & thanks for all the compliments. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I'm really pleased.

On a related note, I'm trying to figure out a way to attach it together in the back. The screencaps show the necklace as a "choker", so pulling it over the head isn't an option (the last screencap has a longer necklace, but that's the scene where he snatches it off of his neck, so it doesn't count). I need an option that would be true to the piece (since it's supposed to be thousands of years old). The pendant will just be hanging on a display, but if someone can come up with something that is better than just tying a knot in the back, that would be great. :thumbsup

21. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you can be commisioned to do another one, please PM me. :D

22. Nexus6

Update: I wasn't happy with tying a knot in the cord for the necklace. Since the back of the piece is not shown in the movie, I took a little artistic liberty in making it so it could be taken from its display (in progress) to wearing it without too much effort. I also wanted to stay "true" to the piece, meaning, since it is basically authentic (read: no modern materials in its construction (minus the drops of glue)), I didn't want to use some kind of store-bought clasp, which would have snatched it from the hyborian age & dropped it squarely into the 21st century. So this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

I took two 3/4" pieces of brass tubing and aged them overnight in ammonia fumes. Then I made a loop in one end of the cord & bound it tight with some very narrow twine. This made it thick enough so that one piece of the brass tubing was immobile (unless forced).

[​IMG]

On the other side, I ran the cord through the loop, folded it down into an opposing loop, & slid the other piece of brass tubing up to secure it. It worked out just right.

[​IMG]

In other news, this is the first time I used the ammonia brass-aging technique, & I have an FYI for anyone thinking about using this aging process. Keep an eye on your brass once it's spent some time in the ammonia fumes. Only leave it in for as long as it takes to darken it to your liking.

I put the brass in right after dinner (around 7:30 P.M. that night), & left it until I got home from work the next day (around 5:00 P.M.). When I took the pieces out, one of them had COMPLETELY cracked (all the way through) down the entire length of the tube. Luckily I was able to put an ultra-thin bead of epoxy on the break & fix it so that it's virtually undetectable unless closely scrutinized.

Anyway, "voila".

23. Funky

PM sent. :D

24. FETTCLONE

Now you need the helmet, and some camel-punching skills. :p Good work on the clasps. They've finished the whole piece off quite nicely.

25. SgtFang

SgtFang Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

[BUMP.]

26. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Yummy. Nice work.

27. Funky

I LOVE mine. :D
    Thanks again, bro. Fantastic, quality work. Well worth the wait. :thumbsup

28. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

29. Nial

Nial Active Member

Wow Nexus^ again i am floored. This is the best Conan pendent i have seen and you make it sound so easy and simple to make. You've done a first class job. Any chance of you making any to order?

30. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

What he said. ^^

31. Nexus6

Thanks guys, the assembly of the pendant is pretty simple, it's getting a branch that will form a circle when it dries that is the tricky part. I do have about half a dozen "prospect" branches that are drying out in the garage, so I might be compelled to make a few to see if there'd be interest; but it wouldn't be until AFTER I've completed the Blade Runner Ammo project I've been working on forever.