Washing uncut / unsewn Fabric-On-Demand Prints

RiotJavelinDX

Sr Member
Hello all,

In a rather unfortunate turn of events, the apartment unit next to mine caught fire and burnt a rather large part of my unit as well. While some of my possessions were ruined, the fabric sheet from FOD was unscathed but smells horribly of smoke. I was wondering what cycle I should use on the washer and if it can be dried in the dryer...?

Best,

-James G.

Assuming we are talking about spandex: Generally, spandex should be washed by hand in cold water with mild detergent, and without rubbing/scrubbing the fabric against itself. It should be dried flat, or hung with the weight evenly distributed. That being said: you can probably wash it on a cold/cold gentle cycle separately without any problems. I do that with my other spandex items and have not noticed any fabric deterioration. The dye sublimation process embeds the coloring into the threads, so fading isn't a problem unless you wash it a whole lot. However I would still hang dry it.

Also: I'm glad the fire didn't spread any further! Sounds like a classic "could have been worse" scenario. Glad you are okay.

Maybe try asking FOD directly. It's their product. They can tell you proper care techniques.

Assuming we are talking about spandex: Generally, spandex should be washed by hand in cold water with mild detergent, and without rubbing/scrubbing the fabric against itself. It should be dried flat, or hung with the weight evenly distributed. That being said: you can probably wash it on a cold/cold gentle cycle separately without any problems. I do that with my other spandex items and have not noticed any fabric deterioration. The dye sublimation process embeds the coloring into the threads, so fading isn't a problem unless you wash it a whole lot. However I would still hang dry it.

Also: I'm glad the fire didn't spread any further! Sounds like a classic "could have been worse" scenario. Glad you are okay.
Excellent points, thanks for the input!

Washed the fabric on cold/cold setting, gentle cycle (on my washer, the setting between normal and delicate) with a touch of detergent, a touch of fabric softener, and half a capful of these: purex-crystals-aromatherapy-well-being1.jpg.

Took it out, looked good; put in on the dryer on the lowest heat setting (that is, one notch above "No Heat") and dried for 20 minutes. Turned out great. Visibly looks the same, stretches fine, smells fantastic.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back