Wampa Advice

Our very own Wampa is who you seek.

He built an amazing Wampa and he could probably give you some advice.

thanks for the kudos, apollo.

Posted a few pics below. You can check the link in my sig for more pics. It wasn't a costume, so body construction would be pretty different on what you're doing. Mine was an 8 foot tall static display (with poseable arms and hands) that was mostly wood and carved foam rubber. The arms and fingers had wire cores so that they could be bent into position.

The fur came from National Fiber Tech. They're pretty much the only game in town for fur that length. Expect the fur to cost about $2500-3000 for the 5-7" in acrylic. If you go with a natural fiber or longer length, it may run quite a bit more. I used 5-7" mixed on mine. I know someone else that did one and went a bit longer.

Speaking of which, you should really try to contact "TheWookie" here on the RPF. He did an incredible COSTUME wampa for C2 and took home best costume IIRC.

Actually, I just noticed he's selling his costume... price is a bargain too. I know just how much work went into it and at $4g that thing is a STEAL.

his sale thread:
http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=104839

Tom

mewamp5.jpg

newamp2.jpg

Thanks very much for the pics. My problem is that I would like to build the costume. I've seen a Wampa in an another garrison. If anybody has any ideas on this please help as well. Again GREAT pics.

Marcus

Originally posted by Wampa@Mar 11 2006, 05:15 PM
mewamp5.jpg

[snapback]1203632[/snapback]​

HOLY *£$~@*^Y TOM. Where was he hiding when you were giving me the guided tour last Summer?.?. :confused
Very, very impressive work mate. :thumbsup

Thinking back now, I *did* hear some roaring and bone-crunching noises coming from upstairs... but I thought that was just your neighbours. :lol

Cheers,
John

Originally posted by Stormtrooper+Mar 12 2006, 12:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormtrooper @ Mar 12 2006, 12:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wampa
@Mar 11 2006, 05:15 PM
mewamp5.jpg

[snapback]1203632[/snapback]​

HOLY *£$~@*^Y TOM. Where was he hiding when you were giving me the guided tour last Summer?.?. :confused
Very, very impressive work mate. :thumbsup

Thinking back now, I *did* hear some roaring and bone-crunching noises coming from upstairs... but I thought that was just your neighbours. :lol

Cheers,
John
[snapback]1204160[/snapback]​
[/b]

:lol

He's hiding with a friend in Ohio at the moment... that bone crunching was um... er... the neighbors, yeah. Just like you thought. ha ha... ahem.

Thanks bro. :cheers

Tom

Oooo. That thing's hiding out in Ohio? Where in Ohio? See, that's where I'm from, and I want to make sure I'm not about to be killed violently as a light snack.

BTW, AMAZING wampa. I would love to have one of those, but alas, it would cost too much.

I thought of a possible cool thing to do to the Wampa to make it look extra screen-accurate, though.

From looking at the Wampa in the movie, it looked like some of it's hair was matted down with ice. Perhaps some plain white wax or parafin would get that effect accross?

yeah, they used white wax in the film. Tough to tell from the pics but mine is loaded with wax for that look.

There are also 3 wampas in the film. A costume from '79, a puppet from '79 (for the close ups) and the Special Edition costume. My bud wanted a mix of those...

Here's a shot of the puppet/close up style wampa I did. This gives you a better idea of the fur detailing I'm talking about too....

SW%20Wampa%20Puppet.jpg

AH. I knew it. I'm starting to pick up on the little tricks for these kinds of things.

Oh, and again, very nice work on those Wampas. I really want to do either a Wampa or a Rancor costume, and that just looks so awesome.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back