Voyager and DS9 PADDs - styrene test builds

kalkamel

Master Member
I've been wanting to add a few PADDs to my collection so I thought it'd be a nice and simple side project. Thanks to the generosity of Sulla who not only provided me with the templates and graphics, but also guided me throughout the build, as well as to Cmdr Kerner who helped me with both Voyager and DS9 PADD graphics, I was able to kickstart this project. You guys are truly a great asset to this community! :thumbsup

I'm currently sourcing a place to get the pieces laser cut locally, but in the meantime, I thought I'd do a test build. I got several pieces of styrene, but they were 1.5mm thick... I'd need 3mm pieces to be accurate. So using the templates, I cut 2 of each piece and glued them together.

Mind you, these are HAND-CUT, not laser cut, so the edges, particularly the viewscreen and button slots are nowhere near as sharp and precise as you'd get with laser cut pieces. But as I said, this is a test build. :)

I started with the small Voyager PADD. Styrene is much easier to work with compared to acrylic, thus sanding/rounding the edges is pretty much easily done with sandpaper.
build2_zps3afe6eca.jpg

Then I made another one, and also a mobile emitter.
build3_zpsa47309ab.jpg

I was having so much fun with the styrene, I added a large Voyager PADD and a DS9 PADD. :lol
build4small_zps232eb3ea.jpg

Here they are after sanding, priming, more sanding, painted and clearcoated.
build5small_zps4bd34303.jpg

And the completed PADDs and mobile emitter. The Large Voyager PADD features the ship schematic LCARS made by Cmdr Kerner, the smaller ones feature the shield modulation LCARS and the Borg Nanoprobes graphics available from LCARS | Adge's Star Trek LCARS Site | 3 Gb of Media | 9th Year while the DS9 PADD features the biographical database entry for Senator "It's a FAAAAKE!" Vreenak also made by Cmdr Kerner.
build6_zps5a5c1b53.jpg

Thanks again to Andy (Sulla) and Dietrich (Cmdr Kerner) for all their help and advice throughout this build! :cheers

Excellent stuff (y)D Ive always wanted some Padds, is the templates and measurements etc available anywhere for these?

I hate to be a bother. but is there a chance I could get the templates for the large pad please. or direct me to were I mite get them..thanks so much.

Sean...

Since I have a 60 watt laser machine I would love to get those templates and make myself a set please. Thankyou for your hard work by the way.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back