Vinyl Compound. Is there such a thing?

FrogmanStudio

I picked up a Mini-Munny the other day, and while wondering what I should do for my first one (probably going to go with Blue Beetle II), I saw that its made from vinyl, and wondered if there are places that sell something around the same thing that this company used to make them. I'm also alittle curious as to WHY vinyl. It's very light, obviously, and sturdy, but is it cheaper than some sort of plastic?

Thanks in advance from you more experienced folks!

Vinyl is a cheap alternative, and lends well to some applications... The bootleg figure companies love it, low cost high yield molding...

If you want something like they used it's called 'hot pour PVC' or 'hot pour vinyl' and they roto cast it...

Here is one place you can get it, the white stuff will be similar to the stuff used on figures while the clear stuff is like fishing lures...

BURMAN INDUSTRIES*::*VINYL CASTING MATERIALS *::* HOT POUR VINYL WHITE

But, IMO it's simply too much trouble for the small guy unless the application suits it's use very well, like say cheap fake worms, but even for that latex or silicone would work... For most everything else you can find a suitable urethane casting resin or rubber that will satisfy your needs and remove dealing with 400° hot sticky plastic...

Thanks Exoray.

My question was more on curiosity than actual application, really. I just looked at the package and did a 'huh...', and thought here would be the best place to ask. I have a friend that wants a sculpted commission based on one of these, and I was just going to cast the final in a resin, after sanding the putty and whatever else I add onto it, since that seems like the 'easiest' alternative. But dealing with hot plastic like that, no thanks, I think I'll pass!

Thanks again!

I too have wondered this for a while. I knew what it "had to be" but never knew the real name for it thanks.

...Now if only I knew whether they make colored vinyl sheeting in thicknesses well above what is used for sign-making...that isn't used for flooring. That's my own personal grail.

I don't know why, but vinyl as a material has always confused me a bit. There seems to be so much yet so little of it at the same time. (That didn't make any sense outside of my head, did it?)

-Nick

...Now if only I knew whether they make colored vinyl sheeting in thicknesses well above what is used for sign-making...that isn't used for flooring. That's my own personal grail.k

Well I'm guessing you might have heard "Sintra" around these parts, well guess what it is :) It *poofed* vinyl sheets, poofed in the fact that it is foamed up a bit to reduce it's density and weight...

A few suppliers, for Sintra or foamed PVC...

Foamed PVC Sheets: TAP Plastics
Expanded High Density Rigid PVC Sheet | U.S. Plastic Corp.

And here is solid vinyl sheeting...

PVC Sheets: TAP Plastics
White Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Sheeting | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Well I'm guessing you might have heard "Sintra" around these parts, well guess what it is :) It *poofed* vinyl sheets, poofed in the fact that it is foamed up a bit to reduce it's density and weight...

A few suppliers, for Sintra or foamed PVC...

Foamed PVC Sheets: TAP Plastics
Expanded High Density Rigid PVC Sheet | U.S. Plastic Corp.

And here is solid vinyl sheeting...

PVC Sheets: TAP Plastics
White Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Sheeting | U.S. Plastic Corp.

I did know that, but I think you help me understand my problem. That being that when searching I always seem to forget that PVC is Poly VINYL Chloride, so I forget to look for products that contain it's name. I'm now back off on my mission to find flexible PVC sheets in silver...or at least grey.

Wish me luck. :p

-Nick

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back