Valueing an Original Prop

Russ257

Sr Member
With all of the auctions going on I was wondering is there anyway to get an idea on the value of a piece. I was thinking of buying a few things but I don't want things to get out of control. There is the obvious answer of things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them but is there anything else?

Too broad a spectrum. Popularity of the movie, quality of the piece, personal preference, etc..
I've seen pieces from Lost sell for more than I paid for my car and I wouldn't have given them $1 for it.

In the end, it's exactly as you said.
They are worth what you are willing to pay.

It depends on a lot of factors. If its a HERO/stunt/production used prop. How much screen time it actually gets and if there are key close ups on screen of it. Also on how relevant is it to the movie. Of course condition has a factor in it as well.

Last edited:
I guess the old saying about paying whatever the market will bear seems to ring true. There are props I've probably paid more than they're worth, but to me, I wanted to have them, so it was worth a few extra bucks.

I was thinking about the priest valon cross weapon from gangs of new york. I decided to pass since the photos were not that great so I couldnt tell the condition and if it was a hero or stunt type prop.

I've kinda always wondered this too. I mean, how do you determine the value of something that is likely very rare...in other words, no comparables?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back