Vader trooping/appeareances

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Domain, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Hi guys, i have been doing kids paties in my rubies and will be doing some work with a lookalike agency or two. Hopefully, i can raise some money for some serious Vader stuff like a CT lid etc.
    However, i don't want scratches all over my lid, armour etc, and it is not practicle carrying the whole kit in the rubies box. So i was wondering if any one has some tips or advice of how they transport their vader stuff so it is well protected
    Thanks

2. Osssifer

Osssifer New Member

Darth Domain-

You could always go and purchase a large trunk (one used for storage) and then subdivide the inside in two or three different sections. One section could be large enough for your bucket and the remainder for armor. Line the walls with 1/2-3/4 inch foam for extra added protection. Some cases have wheels on them for easy transport. You might want to ask Vaderpainter (as his methods of transporting his armor inspired me to write this post).

Or, you can purchase cases specifically used to transport deejay equipment. The cases come in all various sizes, shapes, etc. These can be found at any store that sells deejay equipment, lighting, and/or musical instruments. The beauty of these cases are they are already foam-padded lined. Depending on your budget, you could get a really nice black case to use.

Hope this helps.

~Joel

aka: deejayjoel

3. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Agreed, those cases are ideal.

Alternatively you could always just wear you costume to the event and really raise some eyebrows. :p

Jeremy

4. Darth Domain

5. Darth Domain

No way man, its hot, the belt buckle digs in and the cod means you can not sit comfortable . How darth vader sat in a tie fighter comfortably is quite beyond my capacity :lol

6. eltee

eltee Sr Member

There are guys who build these musician "road cases" to order acd they are not too expensive...since these guys usually work out of a home/garage. They build to order to fit instruments or sound gear so having one made with a compartment for the lid and another for the armor would not be hard for them to do.

THe ones I've seen had handles, wheels and were lined (and sometimes covered) with a carpet material.

7. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Here ya go....this is what I use, posted it awhile ago....

This is what you need.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I scored a couple of these from work....they were throwing them out... I have 2 this size which I use for my RC gear....and a larger one which I'll use to store my Vader stuff in transit. You just have to modify the foam compartments to fit whatever you are storing.....

Thanks WC.

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

I use a Stanley Contractor's job site box (on wheels). Holds the entire costume including helm.

But an option would be to go to your local army surplus store and get a medical transport case for around $19-30.

9. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

"Storm" case :)

:cheers,

T

10. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I got one of the very large tubs that have wheels on them.

Very sturdy and I can just perfectly fit my ENTIRE Vader costume in there as well as extra parts and cleaning materials :)

11. Darth Domain

thanks to you all, i'm gonna have a look at the music stores first to see what they have to offer, it is only a rubies but its all i have at the moment, hopefully may be something alot better in future
    Mark :)

12. mackerel moon

mackerel moon New Member

DD,

We used a big black and yellow toolchest with wheels from B&Q to transport hardware to and from Usability Labs. It sounds like the same thing that rigormortis uses.

It would do a pretty good job.

A flight case would be undoubtedly stronger, but also much heavier and more expensive.

SC

13. Darth Domain

cheers mate :thumbsup

14. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

While I don't have a Vader costume, I do have a Boba Fett costume. Like Vader, it is also a costume that contains lots of different parts. I'm in the 501st and do a number of appearances every year. I decided from the onset to find a solution to toting and storing my gear. This is what I came up with:

A wheeled trunk from (of all places) Bed, Bath, & Beyond. $39.99 (back in 2002):

[​IMG]

It's lockable, and I can grab one of the handles and roll it where I need using the built-in wheels on the bottom left side of the trunk. I've taken it to DragonCon, and more events than I can count and my costume has *never* been damaged while inside it. The trunk is made out of wood. The outside is covered in a plastic/vinyl-like textured covering, and the inside is covered with a durable wallpaper-like material. The whole thing has held up extremely well, even after tons of trips.

[​IMG]

After buying it and getting it home, I installed a 3/4" thick piece of shelving to divide the interior of the case into 2 compartments - one for my costume, and one for my (MSH) fiberglass helmet. I covered the divider and the interior walls of the "helmet compartment" with eggcrate material. I then mounted Army belt webbing to the inside of the lid to secure my blaster to. I also added a pouch to hold my gloves and other small items that might get lost. My shin tools are mounted inside the lid also, as is a mirror (not pictured) because it's always nice to know if you have your stuff on straight. ;) I figured since Fett is a "gun for hire", why not make the inside of the case look like a hitman owned it? :lol

I'd love to have a flight case, but the ones I looked at (for the size I needed) were $500-$600 and weighed 75 pounds EMPTY. :confused This case is $459 + shipping, and is almost exactly the same size as mine. I think I'll stick with my "economic" solution for now. :D

15. TK-Fett

TK-Fett Well-Known Member

Jamie I said it before and Ill say it again, I love that case, I even have all the stuff to make my own if I ever finish my Fett. Wal-Mart carries these cases now but I dont think an entire Vader would fit in there.

16. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Thanks again, Tyler. :D

Yeah, I doubt most Vaders would fit in a case the size of mine. I just wanted to show that there are cheaper solutions out there that work just as well as the more expensive ones. ;)

17. ondiv

ondiv New Member

Pardon me for saying this, but that is just a sexy way to carry your armor.
    Beautiful job.

18. jedi5150

jedi5150 Well-Known Member

Hey ondiv. Good to see you on the RPF.

Yes, that's an AWESOME case.

19. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Extremely well done. I may use this concept for my Vader, although I know I will need a bigger case.

20. Darth Domain

Yeah, brill suggestions so far, but i need a very large case to carry all of my money also :p

21. wackychimp

wackychimp Well-Known Member

I use a very sturdy hard-side plastic rubbermade contianer - WITH WHEELS. I was advised to do this whne buying and have been thankful I did.

$39 from a Store-It-All type shop. I think they're mostly marketed for camping.

22. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

I just wore the whole custom but the helmet, while driving it's a bit hard in a mustang tho... :wacko but then you step out the car pop on the helmet then your good to go
    then when people ask you "whats vader doing in a car" you say the tie fighter is down and the empire couldn't rent me a viper :(

23. Darth Domain

:lol

24. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Got any pics Chimp?

25. Bacara

Bacara New Member

These are likely way expensive, but worth a look anyway. Might get some ideas. Could always build your own...

Some really nice cases:

OdysseyGear

/B

26. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Thanks for all of the very complimentary replies. :D

I just did a Make-A-Wish event on Saturday, and once again my case didn't let me down. I feel like a "rock star" wheeling that thing into an event. B) People just stare at me... :eek :lol

[​IMG]

I've got a friend with a Vader, and he actually uses *2* bins - one for the soft parts, and one for the hard parts. Seems like a pain to me. Doesn't seem like that large of a costume... Suit and capes, boots, gloves, shins, chest and belt boxes, collar/shoulder armor, and helmet... Unless (and I probably am) forgetting some very large pieces? It's all about stacking. Of course, I'm a whiz at Tetris, so I may have an unfair advantage when it comes to arranging things into tight spaces. :lol

Good luck with your search for a case. Sometimes you'll find just what you need in the unlikeliest of places. :thumbsup

27. darth marcus

darth marcus New Member

Excellent ideas everyone. Yes, us Vaders need a bigger bin. I also, use two bins. One for the helmet and thye lerger one (tupoperware with wheels) for everything else.

28. Darth Mawr

Darth Mawr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Used to be in the SCA and fought with metal armor and helm. If you think that Vader is difficult to pack you should see us medieval fighters packing. Most all of us would be sitting in front of pavillions and arming tents with all the medieval trappings watching the tournement with these plastic rolling bins beside us. :lol

They should work just fine.

29. Caged Reality

Caged Reality New Member

30. Darth Domain

i did an appearance the other day and just had to use my rubies box as i have not had the chance yet to get anything, but there is loads of good ideas coming in. i have seen some of the storage boxes at out local DIY store but money is not allowing me at the mo. I may actually have a go at making one out of MDF board, i can customise it then.

31. CannockWolf

CannockWolf New Member

i use a large regular suitcase for everything bar the lid for which i use a soft padded 14" snare drum bag, works for me and it all cost me £60 ($100)