USS Enterprise NCC-1701 - 1/1000 Scale

Incredible. I recently got the 1/1000 refit/A Model, I was thinking of perhaps getting this something to start off being easier to help me get an idea for the refit/ A, Do you recommend getting this model?

The original series Enterprise is a great model and extremely accurate to the filming miniature for its length of 11 inches. Both the original series (TOS) Enterprise and the Refit/A are snap together kits; however, I recommend gluing them together. With TOS Enterprise the nacelles have a tendency to come loose if you don't glue them on. Beyond gluing them together, it helps if you have putty and sandpaper so you can fill and sand any seams. There is a major one on the strongback where the nacelle strut part mounts to the top of the secondary hull.

You can see some build pics in my album on Photobucket here:
TOS Enterprise 1-1000 Scale Story by Steve J (Trekriffic) on Photobucket

I added lights to the saucer and nacelle domes running off 4 button batteries in the front of the secondary hull.

Last edited:
I ordered the velvet yesterday and went to Michaels and Home Depot last night and bought the bulbs, clamp lights and rings. I have the PVC pipe and fittings.

Where did you get the diffuser fabric?

Thanks!

Excellent work and equally excellent photos!

Thanks for all the photo tips as well

I've been trying recently to get better background for the pics, but found when photographing against black, I often lost come of the finer contrast and detailing/weathering. I also wound up with the results you had with the foamcore background I will definitely try out he velvet.

I've been photographing against a background and using the Windows 10 version of MSPaint to remove the background and replace with a solid black one, then use the pen tool to randomly pop in stars

The Black Velvet approach may let me skip that extremely tedious step as well as having the edges of the model look better instead of it being an obvious cut out

I ordered the velvet yesterday and went to Michaels and Home Depot last night and bought the bulbs, clamp lights and rings. I have the PVC pipe and fittings.

Where did you get the diffuser fabric?

Thanks!

I got that at Michaels too. It's basically T-shirt material.

Excellent work and equally excellent photos!

Thanks for all the photo tips as well

I've been trying recently to get better background for the pics, but found when photographing against black, I often lost come of the finer contrast and detailing/weathering. I also wound up with the results you had with the foamcore background I will definitely try out he velvet.

I've been photographing against a background and using the Windows 10 version of MSPaint to remove the background and replace with a solid black one, then use the pen tool to randomly pop in stars

The Black Velvet approach may let me skip that extremely tedious step as well as having the edges of the model look better instead of it being an obvious cut out

I've heard of people even gluing the backside of the velvet to a piece of matte board then poking holes thru it so they can shine a light behind it- instant stars!

Incredible. I recently got the 1/1000 refit/A Model, I was thinking of perhaps getting this something to start off being easier to help me get an idea for the refit/ A, Do you recommend getting this model?

Definitely. Prior to the Polar Lights 1/350 TOS Enterprise kit coming out, the 1/1000 scaleTOS Enterprise was considered the most accurate kit on the market. This is actually an easier kit to build than the Refit; you don't have to worry about applying any aztec decals. I would recommend gluing it together though as the nacelle joint isn't very good so the nacelles tend to pop off if you don't glue them on. That and you'll need to apply some putty to the nacelle strut strongback part that locks into the top of the secondary hull. It takes a bit of work puttying and sanding to get rid of the seam. In the end, you will end up with a very accurate miniature of the original series Enterprise filming model. The kit even includes extra parts to make either the first pilot, second pilot, or production version. So you could theoretically build three different versions of the Enterprise using the same kit from Polar Lights.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back