USS CYGNUS---has anyone ever built it?

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Martyn -- I'm most likely jumping in way over my head here, so any assistance would be appreciated! Just to give you an idea of how little I know, I've been figuring a rough 1/4 of the studio scale model at ~3 feet. I have no idea what that would be in "reel" world scale. That's why I'm trying to pin things down a little more before I go any further! :)

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the board--that's an impressive introduction. I've been fiddling around making plans for one of the old MPC kits but yours is so much more interesting!

Cheers,

Dave C

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Martyn -- I'm most likely jumping in way over my head here, so any assistance would be appreciated! Just to give you an idea of how little I know, I've been figuring a rough 1/4 of the studio scale model at ~3 feet. I have no idea what that would be in "reel" world scale. That's why I'm trying to pin things down a little more before I go any further! :)

The original models were 1/192 scale, according to comments from the crew. They were also supposedly 12'3" or close to it, IIRC. If that is accurate then the 'real' ship would be 2352 feet long, and a 3-foot model would be 1/784. A 1/700 model would be 3'4.3".

Obviously the film isn't very consistent and there is debate over this stuff, but personally I'd say that if you were going to make parts available (yum!) then I think you'd maximise the appeal by sticking fairly close to a recognised scale. :)

Pretty clear that this technique is mature enough now to tackle the subject (Charles - I'm sorry for doubting you on that, mate!). Eh, might as well face it, I personally want to go 1/2 SS but I'd be in at either scale.

Oh, I looked up some more dims. Disney dimensioned everything in "real world" figures! Centre modules are 244' long measured from the centre of each "inter-module section". They are 50' high but the framing on the top and bottom faces of those modules is 11' high, so 72' overall. The central spine is 100' high.The power centre section is 180' 6" long and the central section of the ship is 284' wide measured from the outer framing of the centre modules on each side. I didn't get the bow and stern figures yet but they're pretty close to twice the centre module length.

All this fits fairly well with the overall length I cited above, I think; it works out to something within twenty or thirty feet of that anyway. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Martyn, believe me...I'd rather have 1/2 studio scale for certain. And would be willing to pay well for a limited run of the necessary parts in the that scale. If that's an option, then please make it happen! A 6 foot Cygnus would be too fantastic for mere words.

Well, me too, but this is Dave's project. Dave and I have been having some side discussions and I will be helping as much as I can; hopefully he'll be picking up the same refs I've been working from too although that's not up to me. Either way I'm very keen to see this result in some really accurate hardware in whichever scale - at the level of detail Dave's already displayed, that would be a fantastic result.

We agreed it should be possible to work in *more* detail at the larger scale too, and since parts are priced based on volume there's already good reason to rework the files if going to a larger scale. I shouldn't speak for Dave here but I hope he won't mind me saying that he's not exactly averse. :)

1/2 studio scale would be 1/384, so we could either go strict 1/2ss or round to 1/350 or 1/400. (Incidentally, if this thread goes too much further in this direction I suppose we will need to ask for it to be moved or split!)

I have to say Dave has a great eye for detail and seems pretty much as accuracy-obsessed as I am, lol. And a good attitude to boot. :thumbsup

Guys, I'm following this thread with curiosity and excitation. I also love the Cignus, and I hope some of you will complete a handsome model. :)

No pressure on the scale Dave. It's clearly your project. And thanks for lending your support to this amazing process Martyn. I don't want to cause a thread to be moved or anything of that sort. Carry on with your excellent work Dave. I will silently observe with awe and wonder....(all the while attempting to gather together a large pile of cash...just in case)

No no Clay, I just meant that properly speaking it *should* be moved or split off into its own thread because the project isn't studio scale, whereas this thread is nominally the most recent SS Cygnus discussion.

I guess really for this we should start a dedicated thread in the General Modelling section. Over to you, Dave?

Sorry Martyn. I was thinking you meant it should be moved to junkyard for interest since i keep talking about buying a kit. Sorry. I see what you mean about moving it to general modeling. Either way, I'll keep my mouth shut about the commerce side and just say it looks like it's shaping to be an awe-inspiring build at whatever scale. Thanks for tackling this Dave.

I done built me a centre module. :)

Dave, I'll shoot you some ortho stuff from this. LMK how it compares against your dims.

Whoops, I botched my bow and stern length estimates a bit. Here's the exact figures used by the production:

Bow: 521' (measured from nose structure NOT rocket heatshields, which project further forwards) to the centreline of the first "inter-module" connector.
Single Modules: 3 x 244'
Fuel Modules: 2 x 244'
Spaceport: 1 x 180'6"
Stern: 410'

So 2331.5' overall. In 1/700, almost exactly 40", or slightly over counting the heatshields.

Wow! It's great to see all the interest! However, I just have to say I've never done anything like this before, so be gentle! ;-)

(Sorry, my browser is quitting on me periodically, so I'm going to do this in chunks)

Ok, before we go too much further, I have to stress this would NOT be a kit in the sense you're used to. I can make all the pieces I do available through a store on shapeways.com, but the underlying structure will still have to be scratch built. So anyone could order any parts they need from my store, but they could also make their own. I can make all my patterns and dimensions available as well, so you could follow along or build it your way. So this will be more like " open source" than a kit.

I don't want to hijack the thread any further, so let me know what I need to do if I should move it somewhere else...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back