Using Wood For Epoxy Resin Mold?

SirJediKnightTim

I made a mold from wood. It's aprox 6" x 6". I have never used resin. I just finished the mold and plan on coating it with polyurethane in the mold tonight. Then my next step it to either throw some epoxy resin in and and see how it turns out OR use clay or something to make the item, then use that to cast a mold for resin. I've never used any resin. I just want to make sure whatever I use, I'll be able to get it out. Any suggestions? Anybody ever try wood for a mold?

I don't understand what you tried to say.

I am going to guess that you want to cast (polyurethane) resin into the wooden form that is in the picture.

You mentioned that you are going to "coating it " with polyurethane. Is that to seal the wood? or for the casting of the part?

My recommendation is to use a good mold release and coat ALL the wood surface so that the resin doesn't stick to the porous wood.

clonesix is right - wood is porous, so you will need to seal the wood (polyurethane) and then apply a mold release. I would recommend a couple coats of paste wax followed by a spray of PVA mold release. That's what I would use on a fibreglass rigid mold.

You will have a tough time getting a rigid casting out of a rigid (wood) mold. because the mold doesn't flex, the casting has to have enough draft to pop out with no undercuts. Otherwise you'll end up with a solid block.

Looks like a piece of the Key to Time? Dr Who, maybe?

I agree with the guys above me. From the picture, it looks like there is an open end. Is this where you will put the clay to dam it up?

There are some mold releases that don't work very well. I've tried them and ended up with a solid piece of RTV even though I painted several coats. So try out the mold release before on a scrap piece of coated wood, or else you might have a solid piece of resin and wood.

TazMan2000

Ok, so it sounds like I can use polyurethane to seal the wood. Then paste wax, then a really good mold release spray and it should be ok?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back