Ultra-Cal 30 Vs Fiberglass

munson

I have a question pertaining to the curing time of latex in an Ultra Cal 30 compared to a Fiberglass mold. 

I set to cast two mask, my P2 Stunt Mask in my Ultra Cal 30 mold and my Berzerker Mask in my Fiberglass mold.  I started on the same day and same time.  I brushed in a detail coat and did two pours in the Ultra-Cal mold [let the latex dwell in the mold for 40 minutes each, drained for 10 minutes, let stand in front of a heater for a few minutes to gel, and finally let it cure overnight].  The P2 mask cured great and has a nice thickness.  It took two days total to complete.  Now, my problem is that the latex in the mandibles of the berzerker mold [the fiberglass one] still hasn't cured.  I didn't pour any latex in and only brushed two coats on the rest of the mold, which cured fine.  I'm not sure what happened or if this is normal.

Thanks for vieing and any help would be appreciated!

My experience with fiberglass mould is you'll have to make several small coats of latex to make sure that its cured straight through Its because fiberglass can't take away any moisture like ultracal .
Hope it helped :)

yeah, latex takes a lot longer to cure in resin mold.   lots of thin coats for that one.  the ultra cal is porous and helps cure it.  you have no air getting to the latex against the mold wall.  i have seen guys leave the two part mold open while they coat it.  only after they are done with the thickness do they put the halves together and seal up the mold halves.

Yeah that's the same for me. Last year I did an ultra cal mold, and this year I did a fiberglass mold. It took a while for it to cure, and my first cast came out really thin and it took a while. So I just poured many layers on until it had the appropriate thickness. Hope this helps

Eli

Since my last posting, the uncured latex has cured Next, I'll just continue to apply the latex in layers until I reach the desired thickness, between 3/16" to 1/4".

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back