Turbo Kid gnomestick

RedKhan

So I watched Turbo Kid this week and can say it immediately took a place in my top three films. The one prop I cannot stop thinking about is Apple's gnomestick. I was hoping I could get some better reference photos from the RPF members and maybe a lead on where to get a dang gnome for this project.

Are these the reference shots you have? A nice shot of the front and back:

shooting-with-gnomestick.jpgart-7e-ciel-turbo-kid_c100-e1443738215231.jpg

I just watched this over the weekend as well and enjoyed it! Seems like an easier prop to make because the gnome seems generic enough BUT I'm no expert on lawn gnomes either!

So a progress update, there are quite a few different kinds of gnomes out there and none that are made of wood like I think the one used in the film is.

@The Schlitzie I had the front view and some good shot when she is on the unicorn bike but that back shot is one I didn't find when I was looking for reference.

@karmajay Yeah I thought it wouldn't be to hard but I don't have any idea of how much of the original bat was cut for the gnome but I think it is about 1/4th and I haven't been able to find a gnome that resembles the one used in the film.

Yeah, I tried looking online too with no luck so far. It's a New Zealand film right? I wonder if it was from a local shop...It just looks so run of the mill though aside from the wood carved style.

So a progress update, there are quite a few different kinds of gnomes out there and none that are made of wood like I think the one used in the film is.

@The Schlitzie I had the front view and some good shot when she is on the unicorn bike but that back shot is one I didn't find when I was looking for reference.

@karmajay Yeah I thought it wouldn't be to hard but I don't have any idea of how much of the original bat was cut for the gnome but I think it is about 1/4th and I haven't been able to find a gnome that resembles the one used in the film.

Yeah it is a Canada/New Zealand film so it could have actually been from a local shop. If I can't find one close enough I could always get a gnome and have a plaque that says something along the lines of "This is the Gnomestick, there are many like it but this one is mine."

Yeah, I tried looking online too with no luck so far. It's a New Zealand film right? I wonder if it was from a local shop...It just looks so run of the mill though aside from the wood carved style.

Man you are right that type of gnome, I don't see it any where!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but "This is the Gnomestick, there are many like it but this one is mine." is a FMJ quote.

I dont get the FMJ reference .. "This is my gnome stick" Was an homage to Army of Darkness, was it not?

Ok I think I see where you are going with that .. I would say it appears as though the gnome in the movie was originally holding an lantern. Not sure if that helps your search or not.

Yeah seeing a closer picture it changes what I thought. Originally I thought it was waving or giving a thumbs up but it does look like it was holding something. Also the close up of the gnome gives a better idea of how it is attached to the bat.

I'm starting to think this may have been custom made to avoid getting sued or something. I cant find anything right. It's more of a dwarf since it doesnt have a full mustache. On the closeup shot you can see a pretty thick and rough mold line, which I wouldnt think you would see on a commercial product, but who knows.

CQ580vFWUAQYK2F.jpg25072675276_545ea0c9e0_b.jpg24803388870_b68524c514_b.jpg24803388930_70c1f88e1c_b.jpg

Maybe...I dunno man, that arm pose really makes me think it's a found item that they molded and cast in foam or something so they could beat people over the head with in the film, hehe. I looked for quite a while online but my eyes started to melt after looking through pages and pages on gnome/dwarves.

I'm starting to think this may have been custom made to avoid getting sued or something. I cant find anything right. It's more of a dwarf since it doesnt have a full mustache. On the closeup shot you can see a pretty thick and rough mold line, which I wouldnt think you would see on a commercial product, but who knows.

View attachment 593583View attachment 593590View attachment 593591View attachment 593592

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back