Trying to Match the Malcolm Reynolds Pistol - Model 47A Color Scheme

darkev2

Hello Eveyone

I've been trying to pin down the Color Scheme of Captain Mal's Pistol Model 47A as seen in the picture I've attached. I love the way it looks with just hints of the Gold and/or Brass showing through the edges versus the full bright colors I have seen elsewhere. Can anyone tell me what the "main" color is supposed to be?? It looks a bit "brown" or bronze but I'm guessing.
mal pistol 47 a.jpg

Last edited:
According to imfdb, the original prop used brass castings to cover the revolver. My guess has always been that they then blued the brass and distressed it, causing hints of raw brass peeking through.

I agree, it certainly looks like the original props were treated with a bluing chemical of some kind.

The guns were never intentionally distressed for use on Firefly though. The bluing just wore off naturally from handling and holstering.

When they were brought in to be used on the movie Serenity they still had a beautiful natural patina. But when the #2 hero gun was moulded it wasn't prepared correctly and a lot of the finish was pulled off in the mould. The finish on the #1 hero was then stripped to match it (as seen in your picture).

I agree, it certainly looks like the original props were treated with a bluing chemical of some kind.

The guns were never intentionally distressed for use on Firefly though. The bluing just wore off naturally from handling and holstering.

When they were brought in to be used on the movie Serenity they still had a beautiful natural patina. But when the #2 hero gun was moulded it wasn't prepared correctly and a lot of the finish was pulled off in the mould. The finish on the #1 hero was then stripped to match it (as seen in your picture).

Ahh that makes a ton of sense! It’s a shame they didn’t just repair the finish on that hero after the molding SNAFU; I always liked the show’s build and finish better.

Haven’t gotten around to tackling this build yet, planning to do a live-fire replica. When I get closer to having a go, I have a ton of scrap brass I will be testing with various reagents and finishes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back