Trying to find obscure Russian tea set from similar to the one on Hunt for Red October

aphesis

My apologies if this isn't the right part of the forum. It's my first visit here. My father is a huge fan of The Hunt for Red October and there's a scene where a Russian Navy Admiral is at his desk and drinking from a tea glass. He always said he'd want something like that. I've come to learn it's called a "Podstakannik" (literally "thing under the glass", aka fancy word for "it's a tea holder"). They're these ornate metal tea glass holders.

I've already searched the internets and of course there are options everywhere, but I'd love to track down THE design used in the movie. I've attached the best reference photo I can from the movie. Does anyone know where I might be able to start to sleuth this specific design?

Attachments

• podstakannik.png
    podstakannik.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 380
Had a hunt for some of these and was drawing a bit of a blank. The design is a bit different to most of the other Russian tea glasses that seems widely available.
The image that you put up, which scene is this one from? I have found some higher resolution pics to help with I.D-ing the glass which is from the initial scene where Sean kills the lieutenant.
The tea glass looks to be more of a skeleton cage for the glass with a small shield detail. I will continue looking and post anything here if I am successful.

Attachments

• hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-1761.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-1761.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 253
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2001.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2001.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 461
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2008.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2008.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 488
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2127.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2127.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 914
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2131.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-2131.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 725
  • Red-October-Ramius Burns orders.jpg
    Red-October-Ramius Burns orders.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 392
The image that you put up, which scene is this one from?
The image I posted was from a screen grab from the scene where the Russian Navy Admiral is at his desk and comes across the letter Ramius had sent him.

I've come across many beautiful Podstakanniks online that would probably serve well as his present, but the holy grail would be finding this exact one. I wonder which company/people were in the props department?

*** EDIT ***
I believe I found out the Prop Master for the movie was Tommy Tomlinson. I might have found a contact for him and am reaching out blindly to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Smashing news!

I do love prop hunting and HFTRO is one I have never been inclined to look for (my main area is the rabbit hole know as Blade Runner). I'll go through the screen grabs again and see if I can find higher resolution shots from the scene you are talking about and try and find this other one you have posted about :) Cant wait to hear if you get anything back from Tommy too!

Will post any findings and higher resolution pics as I get them.

Found some higher resolution photos to help, but still no luck at the moment. The hunt is still very much on :)

Attachments

• hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-1911.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-1911.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 291
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3812.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3812.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 199
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3815.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3815.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,075
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3823.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3823.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 179
  • hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3826.jpg
    hunt-red-october-movie-screencaps.com-3826.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 322
Those are amazing screenshots. I didn't have any luck with my LinkedIn message to a "Tommy Tomlinson". Person probably thought I was crazy if they're not THE Tommy that I'm trying to reach :)

I've come to believe the tea glass holder in these screenshots is actually from a Turkish set, as actual Podstakanniks look nothing like these screenshots. However, when you start looking at Turkish tea holder sets the designs get similar.

I'm still on the Hunt as it were, but I'm holding off on a purchase until I can get closer to the design in the screenshots. The holy grail would be finding that exact design. Prop hunting is quite fun!

Hi,
I've been looking for Ramius' tea cup holder for more than 30 years. I even placed an advert in a newspaper in Moscow. Had a russina friend visit antique shops in Russia but to no avail. Contacted Paramount to find the prop guy but sadly he passed away. Would appreciate any help to find a set. Alternatively, if enough people are interested we could an artist to recreate the glass holder??

Attachments

• podstakannik.jpg
    podstakannik.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 148
Here is a similar glass, from the times of the existence of the USSR:

Volume 200 gr.
Stamp Urshelsky glass factory
Height 90 mm
Top diameter 73mm
Bottom diameter 50 mm

Attachments

• 18775317.jpg
    18775317.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 18775315.jpg
    18775315.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 18775313.jpg
    18775313.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 54
Here is a similar glass, from the times of the existence of the USSR:

Volume 200 gr.
Stamp Urshelsky glass factory
Height 90 mm
Top diameter 73mm
Bottom diameter 50 mm
The glass looks great. Now for the important part: any idea about obtaining the silver holder?

The glass looks great. Now for the important part: any idea about obtaining the silver holder?
For example, handmade from silver.

Or find a person who will model the model in Zbrush, cut it into small pieces, print it on a photopolymer printer and order a casting from jewelers.

For example, handmade from silver.

Or find a person who will model the model in Zbrush, cut it into small pieces, print it on a photopolymer printer and order a casting from jewelers.
I may just have to do this. Many thanks.

OH... I just watched is Sunday. I couldn't see in your pics Ramius cup - I do have 2 I purchased over 30 years ago - looks like the Russian Directors cups?

Attachments

• IMG_9003.JPG
    IMG_9003.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9004 2.JPG
    IMG_9004 2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 46

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back