Unlimited Run TridCloudwalker's Anakin AotC Lightsaber Run! NOW SHIPPING

Re: TridCloudwalker's Anakin AotC Lightsaber Run!

Will it be possible to wire up those LEDs, or will they have their legs snipped off? I'd prefer mine unsnipped, if possible!

The LEDs will arrive intact, and can be wired up. I just snipped those ones because they kept getting caught on stuff in the shop, and only had them to make sure the threading worked.

PS - I have another update coming. I spent the whole day in the shop today running grips in the milling machine, while the machinist caught up on a week of phone calls and prepared more raw Delrin for machining. While there, I made a little 5 minute video documentary of everything entailed in making grips. It will probably be a yawn to most people, but I know some of you smiths and gear heads out there might dig it. Just gotta edit everything together.

Thanks, TriCloudWalker. That's good to know. I was going to say that I can't wait to get this, but in fact I CAN wait to get it. So I will say instead that I very much look forward to getting it. Good luck with the remaining chores!

TWhile there, I made a little 5 minute video documentary of everything entailed in making grips. It will probably be a yawn to most people, but I know some of you smiths and gear heads out there might dig it. Just gotta edit everything together.

Looking forward to it :cool

So like I said earlier, on Thursday I went to the shop to help speed the process along. We have about 570 grips to mill, and at 5 minutes of cutting time for each two grips, that's 24 solid hours just to do the TOP of the grips. Since this machine shop is a one man operations and he needs to sleep and eat, and work on other jobs on his other machines to help pay the bills, I offered to run grips all day, so that he could attend to some other things that needed to get done.

So mostly out of sheer boredom and lack of wi-fi in the shop, I decided to document most of the process in machining the tops of the grips.

First we start off with raw blocks of acetal, which have been cut down in a giant saw from 10 foot strips of the stuff. It comes out with the ends covered in fuzzy schmutz:
20120405_130056.jpg

Which I then run across a belt sender real quick:
20120405_130105.jpg

From that point, you can watch the process in this video I made:
Click this nifty little hyperlink right here in blue.

By the end of the day, I had all of these done (about a third of them had been done by my machinist a day or so before):
20120405_152300.jpg

But that's only about 33% of all of them. We still have all of these to do still:
20120405_152234.jpg

That's one of the reasons this takes so long sometimes. And if a tool breaks in the middle of it (for instance), he has to wait a day or two for a new one to be made. Larger companies can keep a stock of them on hand, but a small one man operation like this usually can't afford to, as they can sometimes cost anywhere from $50 - $300 each.

Oh, and he did a test cut on the bottom of one of the grips to figure out how much to remove to keep the grips a screen accurate height, and how much of a lip to make for the overlap on the pommel. It's not perfect yet, but you can get a sense of what it will look like all put together:
20120405_153119.jpg

Sometimes I get frustrated that this run has taken so long, but when I see an update like this, especially the video, I realize the run is taking a long time for all the right reasons and I don't mind waiting for such a great final piece.

It's easy to forget that the longer this run takes, the more of his own time Trid is putting into getting these sabers finished for us. Thanks for shepherding this run the way you are man, it's much appreciated.

Thanks! And I'll probably be putting in quite a few more days at the shop to help speed things along.

Quick update: My machinist just called me the other day and told me he had to get a stint put into his heart for one of the arteries that turned out to be 95% clogged! He's okay, and they caught it before there was any kind of heart attack. He's on his feet now and is starting back up production in the next day or two. I'll be in the shop running machines with him as often as I can, to help catch up. Sorry for yet another delay. :/

Just read through most of this thread and I'm definitely down for a second run of these if that ever happens. You've kept people up to date and you've uploaded plenty of pictures along the way. So if you do end up doing another run you have at least one customer already :-D keep up the good work, can't wait to see someone post a pic of their completed saber!

Just looking at the progress of this thread makes me appreciate the design of the saber that much more. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

ANNOUNCMENT:

I will be at Philadelphia Comic Con this weekend with one of the sabers. If any of you are going and want to see the progress first hand, stop by table 2402 (Capital City Jedi Knights) and ask for Aaron. I'll have prints of the screenused saber that you can use to compare details to if you like too. :)

RUN UPDATE:

Ok, the machinist ran into a small recovery complication and needed an extra week to heal from surgery. He's back full time on these. The grips are now completely finished. All the extra material has been milled off, and a small notch with a radius has been cut into one of the ends so that it slightly overlaps the knurling.

Here are some of the last few getting their notches:
20120530_125105.jpg

20120530_125118.jpg

Then they get deburred on a piece of Scotchbrite:
20120530_125136.jpg

Here is a set of grips installed into one of the sabers:
20120530_130630.jpg

20120530_130615.jpg

20120530_130602.jpg

20120530_130440.jpg

And a beauty shot:
20120530_130215.jpg

20120530_130408.jpg

He is currently programming the milling machine to start work on the aluminum section of the control box, and then the top section where the row of LEDs go.

would it be possible to leave the sound holes not cut out of the endcap on mine? i'd prefer it blank and one less step for you.

would it be possible to leave the sound holes not cut out of the endcap on mine? i'd prefer it blank and one less step for you.

All the electronic compatible cores already have the holes cut. None of the solid display cores have the holes. You get both cores with your saber.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back