TOTAL RECALL - Alien reactor hand switch PAINTED PICS PAGE 1

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hello peeps,

i bought total recall on blu ray last week and was amazed at the picture quality, it got the building bug in me going so i picked the alien reactor hand switch seen predominantly at the end of the film,
this looked like a quick easy job and it took me a whole day:eek. unheard of from me to make something in a day as a lot of you know im a lazy S.O.B.

unfortunatly my nose picking finger now has a blister on it from all that sculpey smoothing, im out of practice i guess:unsure

this is what it looks like on screen, i had to take a pic of the screen since i no longer have screencap capabilities (thanks vista 64bit :thumbsup )
screencap.jpg

anyhoo here is what i started with.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Red-Acryl...ades?hash=item334d5fb3ca&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ebay link dead.... it was a lightshade

removed from box, taped up the holes, flipped it over and filled with PU foam.....
foam.jpg

flipped it back over and filled the vent holes and drew the hand shape on the outside. i went round the line with a 3mm drill in my dremel then pried off the plastic,
leaving me to carve out the PU foam to the required depth. i then gave the cavity a skim with bondo....
fillerskim.jpg

i then layed up a layer of sculpey using the blu ray as reference...
sculpeystart.jpg

i smoothed the sculpey with a low odour solvent with a fine wide brush, it was quite enjoyable....
completed.jpg

completedside-1.jpg

completedside2.jpg

i got bored waiting for the silicone to arrive so i gave it a lick of paint, steel silver from a rattlecan
NEWPAINT.jpg

NEWPAINTOUTSIDE.jpg

i intend to bake the sculpey with a hairdryer, hopefully this will be ok before molding. i think i read on here its ok to put silicone directly onto uncured sculpey is that right?

ive never done it so dont know, maybe you could chime in if you know.

thanks

-chris

Last edited:
Re: TOTAL RECALL - Alien reactor hand switch completed

I've been wanting to make one of these lately. Cool to see it being tackled.

Can't wait to see the final product.

Nick

Too cool! You've done a hell of a job on it!

"No don't, you'll kill us all!" Very different and very cool project, I love it!

I was considering doing one of these myself, but you've certainly nailed it!
Looking forward to your progress, any chance you'll be putting some lighting with this?
That would be awesome!

I was considering doing one of these myself, but you've certainly nailed it!
Looking forward to your progress, any chance you'll be putting some lighting with this?
That would be awesome!

thanks, i have been thinking about a lighted version. perhaps one that lit up once you pressed it down. its certainly something i would like to try anyways.

i'll post any developments

-chris

Great idea for a project. Love it! Cleverly approached aswell. Nice work :thumbsup

Looks terrific... and I really enjoyed reading about your process.

Great project! :love

thanks for your kind replies everyone, just a quick update, i baked the sculpey with a heat gun but got a bit carried away and melted some of the plastic edges :confused.

its not ruined but i had to do a little repair work on it. i have given the hand cavity a coat of thick black enamel paint, this smooths everything out even more, ill give it another coat tomorrow.

so far so good, im off to get some silver (ish) paint, hopefully get it painted up tomorrow as well.

:thumbsup

As always Zorg, Top notch work!!!!

Lovin' the idea of using a lamp shade as the base!!! Genius!!:thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back