TOS 1:350 Enterprise - General Comments & Questions

PHArchivist

Master Member
Because we don't have enough threads already!

Thought I'd create a thread for questions, comments, or whatever for those not actively engaged in a build-up.

So...

--Has anyone considered adding additional surface detail, (subtle panel lines) to this kit?

--I rigged an old 22" Enterprise A with white Christmas lights years ago; suppose there's space enough in the TOS 1:350 for this "poor man's lighting rig"?

--With both the TOS and the Refit kits available in 1:350, it would be fascinating to see an intrepid modeler build an indealized version of the Enterprise mid-way through her refitting process.

I would like ideas on a “poor builders” lighting kit. I have both the NX-1 and refit in 1:350 ready to start. But $320.00 for 2 large starship light kits is a lot. And it’s the reason I havent rushed out to pick up the 350 TOS yet

hey PH, I'm pretty positive you could construct your own light kit using LED's from radio shack pretty inexpensively. Which would also allow you to do blinking LEDs and spinning LEDs

on average an LED costs about 70 cents to a $1.50. Simple circuit boards and kits cost as little as $3 or $4 with the components.

So with a little soldering and some trial and error, I know you could put together a light kit that would be considerably less than the $130 kit, and have the same results.

I like Doug Graves version, I think it fits nicely into the mid way version your looking for. I plan on doing my 1/350 TOS Enterprise this way. More can be seen on his site.

Last edited:
I'll be using some LED strip I got from Modeler's Brand, a nav/strobe circuit from Tenacontrols ($40) and this for the warp engines on my TMP Refit ($10). I bought 6 yards of LED strip ($102) but I figure I can probably get several ships lit with that... This will provide the basic stuff - no landing strip lights in the shuttle bay and no amber/blue switching for the deflector. I also picked up some nano-SMD chips from Policecarmodels for another project that I will test in the Refit for the registry spots ($2.50 each). I'm not certain what the total cost for just the refit will be but I think I can do it for under $100.

For the TOS E I picked up some Sayama 12SM-AT3 motors ($12). The hard part with this ship is you need a random flasher circuit for the engines. Most of the stuff out there for TOS Enterprise lighting are chaser circuits, which is ok but not an authentic effect. I found a random flasher circuit kit from RSH Electronics that should take care of that ($15). Including a flasher for the nav lights and LED strip, I think this ship can be lit for around $100 as well...

Mark in Okinawa

Last edited:
The styrene has been color matched to the correct paint color on the 11 foot studio model near as is possible. So it can be used as a guide for matching paint.

As for "cheaper" lighting kits, I understand CultTVman is working on something with Tenacontrols. But it will use an LED chaser system for the bussards instead of motors.

As for me, if I do a pilot 1 or 2 ship and don't desire to put bussard spinners in (instead duplicating the deep metallic red look of the bussards), then all I would need are some LEDs for the primary and secondary hulls and one to two 555 timer based flasher circuits. That could cut the price down by QUITE a bit. But one would also have to modify the gray shuttlebay and gray bridge for lighting if one desires those lit (can be done and has been done, but a little more work in a couple areas). Although, the Pilot style versions of the Enterprise didn't have a shuttlebay since the internal bay miniature and shuttle set pieces hadn't been designed yet.

Can things be done cheaper, yes. But the lighting set from R2 does offer some unique perks that made it worthwhile for me to do it. As I use the set though, I get an education on how to use certain componants, so my next lighting project won't necessarily be off the shelf as I can easily add a few wrinkles here and there.

The styrene has been color matched to the correct paint color on the 11 foot studio model near as is possible. So it can be used as a guide for matching paint.

When I unboxed and noted the greenish grey, that was my first thought. Interesting they colored the copper parts too...

That was a strategy so that if a more casual modeler (or less experienced one) got the kit, they could theoretically slap the whole thing together without paint and it would look... decent. The copper effect was a bit weird, but I understood why they did it. The pilot version parts don't have that though (at least not the deflector dish)

If you notice, the control loops for the nacelles, the intercooler grills, the impulse deck and the nacelle rear ends are also molded in a different color plastic to represent the cool gray shades. I admit, even though I am obviously painting my model, it is very cool to be able to glance at a part and know it isn't going to be the same color as the hull. So I can sequester some of those parts, paint them and not have to add them until later as opposed to a lot of tape masking. Some parts though, such as the impulse engine bank, do pretty much have to be glued on and masked for paint so I can take care of the parts seams better.

As for "cheaper" lighting kits, I understand CultTVman is working on something with Tenacontrols. But it will use an LED chaser system for the bussards instead of motors.

As for me, if I do a pilot 1 or 2 ship and don't desire to put bussard spinners in (instead duplicating the deep metallic red look of the bussards), then all I would need are some LEDs for the primary and secondary hulls and one to two 555 timer based flasher circuits. That could cut the price down by QUITE a bit. But one would also have to modify the gray shuttlebay and gray bridge for lighting if one desires those lit (can be done and has been done, but a little more work in a couple areas). Although, the Pilot style versions of the Enterprise didn't have a shuttlebay since the internal bay miniature and shuttle set pieces hadn't been designed yet.

Can things be done cheaper, yes. But the lighting set from R2 does offer some unique perks that made it worthwhile for me to do it. As I use the set though, I get an education on how to use certain componants, so my next lighting project won't necessarily be off the shelf as I can easily add a few wrinkles here and there.

I'm thinking a static light display will be fine... Flashing and spinning is cool, but per my budget and skills, I think static will be OK.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back