Tony Stark Black Sabbath Avengers t-shirt?

If anyone is interested in these still, I picked up mine from Khols today for like $17.

It's curious, because I had considered buying one just a few weeks ago on amazon.

I just came back from kohls literally right now and they have it for 10bucks

For those of you that have gotten the shirt from Kohls, what kind of material is it made from... is it a heavy duty cotton like on the Gildian tshirts or is it made from a more 'vintage' feeling light weight cotton? Also, how 'thick' is the graphic, will light shine through it?

Thanks.

For those of you that have gotten the shirt from Kohls, what kind of material is it made from... is it a heavy duty cotton like on the Gildian tshirts or is it made from a more 'vintage' feeling light weight cotton? Also, how 'thick' is the graphic, will light shine through it?

Thanks.

Don't know cause I didn't actually pick it up but Pretty sure it's more light cotton,I picked up a transformers shirt, and its a slim fit light weight shirt and all there shirts looked that way, sorry wish I could help more.

Yes, it is a lighter weight of cloth, similar to a vintage shirt. When I get home I'll grab a flashlight and see if it is capable of shining through the graphic. Also, a word of advice...the large size is MUCH bigger than the medium. I wear a 41 jacket, and it is fairly tight through my chest. However the large was extremely big on me.

My wife was very happy after I saw this thread this morning and said we had to go to Kohl's to get one of these!

It is a pretty lightweight cotton, and a very thin printed graphic. They're priced normally at $20, but on sale now for $15.

Here's a couple pics, what it looks like with my quickie Halloween 3-led tap light arc reactor under it and a closeup on the graphic.

Very nice, thanks for the feedback... I think the graphic is a little big compared to the screen used shirt but the rest looks a lot better than the shirt I already got.

Picked one up today as well, the graphic does indeed appear to be bigger than on screen, but for the price and the thinner material, it may be worth it.

And then I had a conversation with the cashier where she allowed that I might, after all, be old enough to remember Black Sabbath. So that was a thing.

I went and got myself one as well. I really like the shirt material... it is definitely a light weight cotton and the fit is good too. The design is quite a bit bigger than it should be and there is some license type stuff under the U.S. Tour '78. However, I like the way it is printed on the shirt and it does allow the light to shine right through so I like this one more than the first one I got. So pretty much the only thing I would want to change about it would be to make the design a bit smaller. If anyone ever make that shirt then I might replace this one. ;)

I hate to necro a thread but I think it may be okay in this case. I'm currently on the hunt for this shirt and 9 years later, the same "issues" still exist with the current offerings of it. Whether it's Etsy, Ebay, or even the official one from the Black Sabbath shop, they all have a graphic that is too big and or the color is somewhat off. I say "issues" because it's really only accuracy sticklers like us that care about this. Although I have to say even though I don't wear band shirts anymore, if I did, the smaller sized graphic and placement of it on Tony's shirt looks much better than any of the retail ones. So even if I wasn't recreating his Avengers look and was just looking for an everyday shirt to wear, I'd still opt to find one like his because it simply looks better. Not sure if he wore a vintage piece or if it was production made.

Then there's the concern of finding one that has a thin enough layer graphic that allows the light of the arc reactor to shine through like in ruze789 's post. Bit off topic but when I used to wear graphics tees, I absolutely hated the ones that had those sticker like vinyl applications that crack after one wash. I always opted for ones that had the ink embedded into the fabric more or less. Also always tried to find a shirt that's suitable in size and feel. It's actually amazing how poorly fitted most t shirts are in general but I digress.

So I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to take a shot at getting a one off printed from a custom shop. Do any of our fellow members here do t-shirt printing by chance? Also, any recommendations for the best way to obtain a hi-rez image of the Black Sabbath 78 tour design? Best screen printing methods to achieve a thin layer application?

I hate to necro a thread but I think it may be okay in this case. I'm currently on the hunt for this shirt and 9 years later, the same "issues" still exist with the current offerings of it. Whether it's Etsy, Ebay, or even the official one from the Black Sabbath shop, they all have a graphic that is too big and or the color is somewhat off. I say "issues" because it's really only accuracy sticklers like us that care about this. Although I have to say even though I don't wear band shirts anymore, if I did, the smaller sized graphic and placement of it on Tony's shirt looks much better than any of the retail ones. So even if I wasn't recreating his Avengers look and was just looking for an everyday shirt to wear, I'd still opt to find one like his because it simply looks better. Not sure if he wore a vintage piece or if it was production made.

Then there's the concern of finding one that has a thin enough layer graphic that allows the light of the arc reactor to shine through like in ruze789 's post. Bit off topic but when I used to wear graphics tees, I absolutely hated the ones that had those sticker like vinyl applications that crack after one wash. I always opted for ones that had the ink embedded into the fabric more or less. Also always tried to find a shirt that's suitable in size and feel. It's actually amazing how poorly fitted most t shirts are in general but I digress.

So I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to take a shot at getting a one off printed from a custom shop. Do any of our fellow members here do t-shirt printing by chance? Also, any recommendations for the best way to obtain a hi-rez image of the Black Sabbath 78 tour design? Best screen printing methods to achieve a thin layer application?
Did you ever have one custom made?

Did you ever have one custom made?
No. I had visited a local custom printing shop but I wasn't satisfied with their process. The problem was that despite my best effort to crop the image from the background myself, the shop owner said there would still be some remnant of the background left. I thought they could refine it further but apparently not. I was on a short time-frame to have it done so at that point I just gave up. I haven't pursued it since but the desire to try again comes into mind sometimes. Doesn't seem like it should be a difficult thing. The problem I found was simply communicating what I want done. I think I may have contacted an online shop at the time with similar results.

It seems screen printing is the way to go but, it's also a bit more expensive. I don't know much about the process although it seems overly complicated if they just made a handful of shirts (if that) for RDJ to wear. It could be that production had access to a more sophisticated printing machine. Maybe I'll look into it again.

No. I had visited a local custom printing shop but I wasn't satisfied with their process. The problem was that despite my best effort to crop the image from the background myself, the shop owner said there would still be some remnant of the background left. I thought they could refine it further but apparently not. I was on a short time-frame to have it done so at that point I just gave up. I haven't pursued it since but the desire to try again comes into mind sometimes. Doesn't seem like it should be a difficult thing. The problem I found was simply communicating what I want done. I think I may have contacted an online shop at the time with similar results.

It seems screen printing is the way to go but, it's also a bit more expensive. I don't know much about the process although it seems overly complicated if they just made a handful of shirts (if that) for RDJ to wear. It could be that production had access to a more sophisticated printing machine. Maybe I'll look into it again.
Have you tried the Zavvi one? Logo is smaller, no licensing under the 78 Tour, color looks right

Have you tried the Zavvi one? Logo is smaller, no licensing under the 78 Tour, color looks right
Looks good! If I had found one like that at the time, I would've bought it. The only thing I see 'wrong' is the logo needs to be a little higher up closer to the collar. It could be though that depending on the size shirt you buy, the logo position varies. I saw this one on ebay....The logo is a bit too large but the right distance from the collar:

Besides that, it's really just a question of how the good the quality of the shirt and printing are which you just have to take a shot and buy it.

Also, I'm not totally sure that he wore a pure black shirt. It looks a bit faded or it could be a "vintage black" color that a lot of companies use for band shirts. Or it might just be black and the color grading of the film makes it look a little lighter.

Looks good! If I had found one like that at the time, I would've bought it. The only thing I see 'wrong' is the logo needs to be a little higher up closer to the collar. It could be though that depending on the size shirt you buy, the logo position varies. I saw this one on ebay....The logo is a bit too large but the right distance from the collar:

Besides that, it's really just a question of how the good the quality of the shirt and printing are which you just have to take a shot and buy it.

Also, I'm not totally sure that he wore a pure black shirt. It looks a bit faded or it could be a "vintage black" color that a lot of companies use for band shirts. Or it might just be black and the color grading of the film makes it look a little lighter.
I’ll post pics of the Zavvi one when I get it! I got my first shirt when I was 14 back in 2012 lol so it was time for a new one. Do you have a recommended wearable arc reactor that can be worn under a shirt? Thinking about just buying the light up arc reactor shirts and wearing it under the sabbath shirt. Wish they made a charcoal long sleeve! Or even better, a Henley.

Just got the Zavvi shirt in. Took way too long to arrive. The shirt is a pretty cheap t shirt. I’m usually a medium but their sizing chart said I should get a large so I did, it ended up being too big so I threw it in the washer/dryer and now it fits great. Overall, the print quality is okay, but I feel like it will fade after a few washes. The sizing of the print is great, no licensing under the “U.S. TOUR ‘78”, but the print could be a tad higher like Tony’s. The biggest issue I have is the color. The accurate logo should be a faded yellowish color, and this seems like straight up grey with maybe a dash of yellow in it. I wrote Zavvi and asked for a replacement in the correct color. I’ll update if that goes through!

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back