TNG Cricket phasers: Were they different???

This is what I have for reference on the first season cricket. Apologies if any of these pics belong to somebody.

cricket-1st-season.jpg

Later season cricket.

cricket-3rd-season.jpg

Boy, talk about necroposting.
I started this thread over five years ago! :lol

Yeah, but look at all the great info in just three days! I do like the scooped out emitter though. I am modding my second Cricket emitter to a scooped out version. I'll post some pics tonight of my progress so far.

What kind of resin did they use on the cricket phaser with the paint worn off? That translucent brownish orange resin. I need to find that stuff. Anyone have any idea the brand? Or a modern day version?

Last edited:
Yeah but scooped out emitter is only on the 3rd season one from "Art of Star Trek" with the metallic stickers on it, right? Is that one legit? :confused

here is some pics of the actual prop and some of it's design drawings and the offical pattent drawing. I do not own these props these are reference pics i found. I will post the crickets i own later.

9606-tng-first-year-sourcebook-image.jpg

9605-mid-level-pass-cricket.jpg

9604-art-trek.jpg

9603-acutioned-non-functional.jpg

9602-auction-ad.jpg

9601-rick-sternbachs-concept-sketchs-cricket.jpg

9600-minds-eye-clip-i-have-been-told-repaint-season-one-hero.jpg

9599-episode-clip-too-short-season.jpg

9598-auctioned-off-hero.jpg

9597-youtube-still-screen-used-hero.jpg

9596-more-beautiful-shots-youtube.jpg

9588-beauty-shot-hero-video-youtube-also-screen-used-hero.jpg

9595-another-actual-prop.jpg

9594-actual-prop-pic.jpg

9593-proported-screen-used-phaser.jpg

9592-version-display-expirence.jpg

9591-rick-sternbachs-drawing-phaser.jpg

9590-screen-used-hero-went-auction.jpg

9589-early-season-one-prop-notice-secound-side-vent-triangle-shaped-sort-some-early-ones-had.jpg

9587-another-screen-used-hero.jpg

9586-patent-info-prop.jpg

9585-show-used-hero.jpg

9584-another-show-used-hero.jpg

9583-show-used-hero-phaser-has-video-youtube.jpg

Here are a few pics of my modified Stapleton emitter that I scooped out. I think it's turning out pretty good so far.

Really enjoyed this thread so far, some good info. Think i might give one of these a go, as i'm trying to start small and simply with my props before taking on anything to complicated :)

Really enjoyed this thread so far, some good info. Think i might give one of these a go, as i'm trying to start small and simply with my props before taking on anything to complicated :)

This is a great begginers prop for several reasons. First, it's not that expensive to build a Hero Cricket. The kit is $55 and the electronics can be had for I believe $65 right now. Compare that to a hero Pulse Rifle and you see this is dirt cheap!
Second, the kit and electronics are both top notch quality. The prop almost falls together.
And third, it's a Hero Cricket! :cool

Finally an ultimate cricket guide! Great stuff.
Looks like that first season paint is good 'ol Krylon Dull Aluminum- same as the badge deltas.
Incidentally, didn't they have to resculpt a new master combadge after season 4 or 5? The backing oval became somewhat smaller at that point- the version rod.com now sells. The difference is quite obvious. (I have a screen-used season one- amber resin.)

So of the replica crickets... so far the new Stapleton kit looks the best, no?

stapleton-vs-robdurham.jpg

Various replicas I acquired back in 2002.

3_crickets_top_kt.jpg

3_crickets_side_kt.jpg

In answer to your question, yes. But I do like the phaser #2 in your pictures. It's dead on to the drawings in The Next Generation Techinal Manual. Thanks for posting those great phasers.

#2 is quite close to the actual phaser. it should be as long as #1 but othe than that it is very close. and so far yes the stapleton is the closest we have to the actual that can hold electronics.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back