The Shards of Narsil

Jm419

Sr Member
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Photoon2011-08-09at2016.jpg

Narsil is perhaps the most famous sword from all of Lord of the Rings. What was once the royal sword of Numenor, passed down from king to king, was carried into battle at the end of the War of the Last Alliance. The Last Alliance, a desperate joining of the Free Peoples of Middle Earth, was the last attempt to defeat Sauron during the Second Age - and the High King of men, Elendil, carried with him this heirloom of his house. After seven years of laying siege to the fortress of Barad-Dur, deep inside Mordor, victory appeared imminent. Then, the Dark Lord appeared on the battlefield.

Photoon2011-08-09at20162.jpg

Sauron began to smash his way through the allied lines. After killing literally hundreds of soldiers, Sauron drew near where Elendil was fighting. Together with Gil-Galad, the High King of the Elves, Elendil charged Sauron. The two High Kings battled Sauron to a standstill, but the Dark Lord reached out and grabbed Gil-Galad by his throat. The power of the One Ring erupted, and the Elf King burst into flame, dying instantly. Elendil moved in to avenge his friend, but Sauron reacted quickly, killing the last of the Kings of Numenor.

Photoon2011-08-09at2017.jpg

What happened next has been changed from adaptation to adaptation. Some say that Elendil fell on Narsil, and the blade snapped in two. Others say that Isildur, son of the King, rushed in to avenge his father, but was felled by a glancing blow from Sauron's mace. His sword knocked away, Isildur scrabbled for his father's blade, but Sauron stepped on the blade, fracturing it into many pieces. Either way, Isildur brandished the broken blade at the Dark Lord, and sliced the One Ring from it's master's finger. Sauron fell on that battlefield, and the Second Age ended in triumph, and not despair.

Photoon2011-08-09at20172.jpg

However, Isildur fell to the darkness within the Ring, and he refused to destroy it. After he was killed at the Disaster at the Gladden Fields, the Ring disappeared from all knowledge for thousands of years, until it appeared in Hobbiton three thousand years after the War of the Last Alliance. For most of the subsequent War of the Ring, the Shards of Narsil remained in Rivendell, next to Aeglos, the spear of Gil-Galad. For thousands of years, the two weapons were kept as close as their wielders had been in life, but immediately before the most decisive battle yet of the Third Age, Elrond of Rivendell ordered Narsil to be reforged. It was renamed; as Anduril, the Flame of the West.

Photoon2011-08-09at2018.jpg

Anduril fought in many battles, including the battle at the end of the Third Age, the Battle of the Black Gate. Aragorn fell, there, in that battle, but Narsil's old nemesis, the One Ring, was destroyed. The forces of Mordor were decimated, and Sauron departed Middle Earth forever. Aragorn was crowned the first King of Gondor since Narsil's last wielder, Isildur. Once again, the sword that was Narsil was worn by the King of Gondor. Aragorn ruled for another 120 years, and after his death, the blade was passed down from father to son, just as it had been an entire age before.

So, this is really an important prop for me, not just because it's a prop. Narsil, or more accurately, the Shards of Narsil, are a character in the book, just as much as any other. The blade was preserved for generations, and it was a major part of winning two wars, millennia apart. For this reason, I wanted to create my own Shards of Narsil. But where to begin? I couldn't buy my own UC Shards (due to exorbitant prices), so I chose instead to make my own shards.

I happened to have a cheap, knockoff Narsil which I believed was a recast from a real UC Narsil, so I ended up creating my Shards for less than $50.

So, let me know what you think! I'm pretty proud of these, and they're really a lot of fun to have around.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Excellent intro and excellent work. I alomost found myself more interested in the history of the blade rather then the pictures itself. Nice work on both parts. So how did you go about cutting it?

Looks great, especially for the price!
My only complaint, which is a big one to me, is the finish. I can tell its a cheap knockoff even with those poor quality photos. The engravings on the handle, and the cheap shiny blade look of something that needs to be aged are what throw me off. Maybe you can weather it a bit?

otherwise, looks good.

I was able to get my own UC shards for pretty cheap compared to what they go for. I popped them off the board and dremeled off the pegs to get this same result. Even those are not perfect. But yeah, there is just something so wonderful about having your own "shards" :)

Congrats again! Would also love to know how you cut it!

I actually did cut myself on the shard still attached to the hilt. I was like, "Really?"

I cut half of the cuts with a bandsaw - the straight cuts from the edge of the blade, but as soon as we hit an angle, I had to switch over to a hydraulic dremel tool, a cutoff wheel. It took about two hours to make all the cuts, but I'm very pleased with the result.

I couldn't justify the prices for a UC Shards, and I really couldn't have brought myself to permanently destroy such a collector's item. I already had the cheapo sword, and I've recently upgraded to a UC Narsil, so I had this one, and no shards. I'm happy with it, and the finish doesn't really bother me much. I don't like the rust spots on the UC Shards anyway. ;)

I've been cleaning the cuts up a bit; the edges are a bit less ragged now. Now I have to figure out a way to display this... hmm.

I got my shards pretty cheap actually, and really, i felt no pain about destroying the collectible just to have the shards. They were never mounted to wood on screen! :) So I destroyed it to display them the way I wanted.

I've got a large canvas painting of the sauron mural that Indy Magnoli did for me, and i'm gonna display my shards under that.

In the film, it was indeed a statue, but it was holding a shield that the shards rested on. My own display idea (and of course, I'd love to see others do something similar) is to basically make like a mantle, using the shield as the shelf. That way I don't have to waste all the space of a statue, etc, and can just have this awesome shield coming out from the wall, with a nice soft fabric for the shards to lay on.

I also agree about the rust stuff on the UC shards. But that is pretty easy to get off of there with some.. effort! :) Either way though, I'm sure you could really lightly weather it and over time it will just look better and better. Really amazed at the cuts you were able to get on those too. I am glad I took the easy route though. I would have been too scared I was gonna cut my hands off!

How close are they to your Shards? I mean, how accurate are the cuts?

Displaying these is going to be a few years down the road, once I have some more space. ;)

The intro alone has determined what movie I will watch tonight. Thanks for that. I like a simple display like in the movies, light cloth on a table/statue tray.

Cheers

Sebastian

Me too, lol. It's still some time down the road, but I still like playing with the Shards. They're a lot of fun; they really put me in-universe.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back