The Rock - Sean Connery

Had to do it Rob...

The%20Rock%20002.jpg

I know this is an old post, but how's the costume coming? The Rock has been one of my favorite movies since I was a child. It's what started my love of collecting rare military gear. The SEALs kit used in that movie has also always been my favorite. I think it's awesome you want to replicate Connery, because I always wanted to replicate Goodspeed's uniform. I'm close to being done, but it has been a very long road acquiring the correct kit. Finding all the period correct gear was hands down the hardest.

Almost all of the gear used by the SEALs in the movie was manufactured by BHI (Blackhawk Industries). I got this confirmed by a BHI employee. This particular individual was affiliated with the company back when the Rock was filmed, and even remembered the order being received in from the production company.

Note the * denotes something that I have confirmed 100% through pictures or a reliable source.

For Mason:
Uniform:
*Black BDU 4 pocket shirt - design hasn't really changed.. easy to find online and at any surplus store
*Black BDU pants - design hasn't really changed.. easy to find online and at any surplus store
*Black BDU nylon belt - standard kind, not the "riggers" model with the repelling clip. Unsure of model, but most likely Blackhawk Industries.

Boots:
Black boots - hard to tell from screenshots of brand and model

Gloves:
I believe these are HellStorm gloves manufactured by Blackhawk Industries. Or they may be some type of neoprene dive gloves. The gloves were shown on an off the actors throughout the film.

Vest:
*Blackhawk Industries Omega Tac Vest #1. The version used in the movie is a 1st gen model made by BHI from the company's start in 1993 - the mid '90s. These early gen models are extremely hard to find, and there have been probably 6-7 generations of this vest since then.
*Mason's Omega tac vest also featured a BHI pistol belt at the bottom. Most of the current generation BHI pistol web belts should appear period correct
*Mason also have a double pistol mag pouch on his belt. This was also manufactured by BHI.

Balacava:
*Unsure of actual brand, but it potentially could have been made by BHI. It was made of a stretchy woven fabric, and appeared to have the eye openings enlarged.

Weapons:
*Mason carried a mocked up MP5 that was actually manufactured from an HK94. It had a typical A3 sliding stock, and a Surefire model 328 hand guard. Do not confuse this with the Surefire 628, which is the 6v version and has a longer bezel that protrudes past the muzzle. The Surefire 328 is a single battery 3V configuration with a shorter bezel that terminated about 1/4" behind the muzzle.
Unsure of the brand name / model of the slings, but they were a 2 point style rather than the HK 3 point style which is far more common on the MP5 weapon system.

For Goodspeed:
Uniform:
*Black BDU 4 pocket shirt - design hasn't really changed.. easy to find online and at any surplus store
*Black BDU pants - design hasn't really changed.. easy to find online and at any surplus store
*Black BDU nylon belt - standard kind, not the "riggers" model with the repelling clip. Unsure of model, but most likely Blackhawk Industries.

Boots:
Black boots - hard to tell from screenshots of brand and model

Gloves:
I believe these are HellStorm gloves manufactured by Blackhawk Industries. Or they may be some type of neoprene dive gloves. The gloves were shown on an off the actors throughout the film.

Vest:
*Blackhawk Industries Omega Tac Vest #1. Again, like Mason's, the version used in the movie is a 1st gen model made by BHI from the company's start in 1993 - the mid '90s. These early gen models are extremely hard to find, and there have been probably 6-7 generations of this vest since then. SPECIAL NOTE: Goodspeed's vest changed during the film. He started with the Omega Vest #1, which his the model 3 mag pouches each on the right an left side for a total of 6 primary weapon mag pouches. Half way through, his vest changed to the "EOD" model, which features the 3 primary weapon mag pouches on the left side, but the right side featured 2 additional general purpose pouches, the middle of which had a flashlight pouch added to the lid.
*Goodspeed's Omega tac vest also featured a BHI pistol belt at the bottom. Most of the current generation BHI pistol web belts should appear period correct
*Goodspeed's Omega TAC vest also had what I can only guess is a custom made backpack attached to the rear. I can confirm 100% sure the bag attached to the back of the vest with 2 side release buckles, one attached to the D-ring on the shoulder of the vest using webbing. The bottom of the pack was held secure with velcro. The loop side was sewn to the back of Goodspeed's vest by the production company. I have never been able to figure out who manufactured the pack, so I believe it may have been something fabricated by the costume department.
Interestingly, Goodpeed ran the only pistol between the two of them, but only Mason had the pistol mag pouches on his kit.

Holster:
Blackhawk Omega VI-L leg drop holster. The "L" in the name denotes it holds a pistol with weapon mounted light.

Weapons:
*Goodspeed carried a Beretta 92FS of M9 throughout the first half of the Alcatraz mission. The light was a model 313. This is often times confused with a 333 or 333r. All of these were designed to mount to non railed Berettas, but the model 333 is an updated version, which had a slightly different, more beefed up housing design. Goodspeeds model was the 313, which had the older housing design. These are very rare now days, and a 333 or 333R is much easier to find. Pay special attention to the "R" designation because it is also a different housing design. The movie used 313 had a monetary on / off sliding switch on the housing. However, the 333R has constant on / off rocker switch on the left side. The model 333 is a closer copy, because it features the same sliding switch as seen in the movie, but with the beefier housing.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back