THE R.O.T MATCHBOOK FROM NORTH BY NORTHWEST

MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
This was the first prop I wanted to make when I joined this forum (there has been some years now…)
Time passed, I got into other props and completely forgot about this one. Until last week when I re-watched this classic Hitchcock movie (my favourite along with “The Rear Window”), and decided it’s about time.

But before, and if you have patience I’d like to share a few lines about this small prop.

Warnig: SPOILLERS

Hitchcock actually takes some time with the matchbook. We first get a glimpse of it when Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) meets Eve Kendall (Eva Marie Saint) at the dinner train from New York to Chicago and offers her a light for her cigarette and pulls out his matchbook. The white matchbook has just 3 letters on it “R.O.T”. Roger says it’s his “trademark”. Eve replies “Roger O Thornhill. What does the O stand for?”, he replies “nothing”.

It’s not commun to see a small prop getting so much attention.

screenshot-7.jpg
screenshot-8.jpg

Near the end of the film the matchbook appears again when Roger throws Eve the matchbook warning her not to get on the airplane with the two villains (Martin Landau and James Mason)
Again the matchbook plays an important part once it was the only way possible for Roger to warn Eve that she would be killed on the plane.

screenshot-9.jpg
screenshot-10.jpg

Plot and prop aside it’s curious to observe two continuity mistakes regarding the matchbook (www.moviemistakes.com)

We see Roger writing the message to Eve and it has three lines. When she opens it to read it, there are four lines on it.

screenshot-4.jpg
screenshot-6.jpg
screenshot-3.jpg

When Roger pulls the matchbook to write the message to Eve, there are matches missing. When she opens it to read it, the matchbook is complete.

screenshot-5.jpg
screenshot-3.jpg

On this pic we can see a small 4 words line under "R.O.T.". Once it's unreadable I went for a made up text: "Advertising Executive, Madison Avenue" (Thornhill's job and place of work)

screenshot-1.jpg

So, here’s my matchbook (I decided to combine the two versions of the same matchbook: three lines text but complete matches set)
Had a great time recreating this small but so important prop from this wonderful movie.

matchbox-1.jpg
matchbox-2.jpg
matchbox-3.jpg
matchbox-4.jpg

matchbox-5.jpg

Last edited:
This was the first prop I wanted to make when I joined this forum (there has been some years now…)
Time passed, I got into other props and completely forgot about this one. Until last week when I re-watched this classic Hitchcock movie (my favourite along with “The Rear Window”), and decided it’s about time.

But before, and if you have patience I’d like to share a few lines about this small prop.

Warnig: SPOILLERS

Hitchcock actually takes some time with the matchbox. We first get a glimpse of it when Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) meets Eve Kendall (Eva Marie Saint) at the dinner train from New York to Chicago and offers her a light for her cigarette and pulls out his matchbox. The white matchbox has just 3 letters on it “R.O.T”. Roger says it’s his “trademark”. Eve replies “Roger O Thornhill. What does the O stand for?”, he replies “nothing”.

It’s not commun to see a small prop getting so much attention.

View attachment 1712009View attachment 1712010

Near the end of the film the matchbox appears again when Roger throws Eve the matchbox warning her not to get on the airplane with the two villains (Martin Landau and James Mason)
Again the matchbox plays an important part once it was the only way possible for Roger to warn Eve that she would be killed on the plane.

View attachment 1712011View attachment 1712012

Plot and prop aside it’s curious to observe two continuity mistakes regarding the matchbox (www.moviemistakes.com)

We see Roger writing the message to Eve and it has three lines. When she opens it to read it, there are four lines on the box.

View attachment 1712013View attachment 1712014View attachment 1712015

When Roger pulls the matchbox to write the message to Eve, there are matches missing. When she opens it to read it, the box is complete.

View attachment 1712016View attachment 1712017

On this pic we can see a small 4 words line under "R.O.T.". Once it's unreadable I went for a made up text: "Advertising Executive, Madison Avenue" (Thornhill's job and place of work)

View attachment 1712018

So, here’s my matchbox (I decided to combine the two versions of the same matchbox: three lines text but complete matches set)
Had a great time recreating this small but so important prop from this wonderful movie.

View attachment 1712019View attachment 1712020View attachment 1712021View attachment 1712022
View attachment 1712023

That is awesome—great job!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back