The Pirk1-Hybrid 5150 mask project...

DangerDavey

Okay.

So I'm a little excited about this.

My Ancient One Elder mask mold will be retired soon and it will need a replacement. It's seen more castings out of it
than I can count quills on a Hunter. Once a mold gets to the point that the details get pulled off along with the mask latex
it's a good sign to move on and call it dead. When I originally sculpted the Ancient One mask, my intent was to just make
a few copies for myself. But, as it turns out, I've cast nearly 40 masks from that mold made more than a year ago.
I'm surprised and happy that I've gotten than many latex castings out of it. That mask and mold has saved my financial
life more than once. But it's time to take it to the next level.

I've already started sculpting the next version of Predator mask. It will be a hybrid of the P1 and P2 style hunter.
I'm going to try and capture the best of both creatures and still retain the classic look of our favorite alien. It will be a little
larger than the Ancient One, being younger and less shriveled. I'll be giving him much more of a noggin and crown than
the A.O. design to fit many more bios. He'll still be a little smaller than, say, the DB P1, but will still fill the bill on any hunter
suit.

Right now, I'm roughing out the shapes and making sure everything is somewhat symmetrical.(Nature is never symmetrical. But
it'd be nice to be close to on the sculpt!)

Here are a couple of teaser pictures...

Pirk1_Hybrid_teaser_01.jpg

Pirk1_Hybrid_teaser_02.jpg

Dave, looks like a nice start. I always love the multi-colored clay you introduce into your sculpts.

Thanks Guys!

Yep. Can we say "budgetary recycling"? LOL

I try not to throw away any of my oil clay as long as it is still good and un-contaminated.
I must have three or four colors of clay mixed in there that are over 3 years old and still perfectly usable. Eventually
it will probably all blend into a sort of brown-grey!!

The multiple colors of clay do sometimes make it challenging to make sure the detailing is clean. But I thrive on challenge.

~DD

We'll see how this one goes.

I'm hoping to have it all sculpted faster than the first one, which took a few months. Since I am using my Ancient One master casting as my understructure, it is already coming along faster in shape. I won't have to use as much clay, either. I'll be sculpting a new face that mixes the two movie styles, including some P2 aspects in the mandibles. Of course, the detailing will have improved over the "Ancient One" now that I've picked up more tips and tricks since last year. It will be fun seeing where this one goes!

~DD

Nice to see a new mask comming out. might have to have a good look at it ... but so far looks good... Elder i got has good detail as well

Ok, First off (I WOULD LOVE ONE) My elder is so awsome...... I love the fact that i got one from you. Glad to see my elder will have a son........... Your talent is well known and needed here. we thank you for keeping us alive with new stufff..... OH yeah ( DID I MENTION I WANT ONE )

Sweet!!!! cant wait to see how cool this one looks, and the idea of a hybrid makes this an anticipated mask. Hurry up will ya!!!!!! lol j/k ----Joe

The only road out of my neighborhood will be blocked off for road crew repair work tomorrow(Today?). So I may be able to spend a little time rolling out some clay and doing some more work on the Pirk "5150"(51% P1 and 50% P2 and 101% criminally insane) o_O

So I should have some more progress pics tomorrow. Stay tuned and stay frosty!!

~DD

Nice Van Halen reference. o_O

Aw DAMN!! I'm showing my age again with VH references!!!

I'm pushing some clay in a couple minutes. Here are a few more progress pictures.

Thanks for the support, Y'all!!

Between Usuper's Wolf sculpt, my 5150 Hybrid and any other's that start in on some new head sculpts, we are gonna have some fun hunting this coming year!!!

~DD

Pirk1_Hybrid_progress_03.jpg

Pirk1_Hybrid_progress_04.jpg

Pirk1_Hybrid_progress_05.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back