The Mummy Hamunaptra key 3.3

This will be the home of the sales thread for the Hamunaptra Key 3.1

The key's size has been reduced from it's 2017 original so that it is more consistent with the size of the books of Life and the Dead.
The pin for the hinges for the flaps were 3D printed in the original, and sometimes broke under stress. The new pins for the flaps are metal and will not break, and will rotate easier since they are perfect round and low friction. (this should eliminate sticky flaps not opening)
The new 3.0 key will be 3D printed glossy metal colored PLA, and looks very cool even without being painted. The key will be sold as a finished piece, rather than a kit.

Pics will be posted soon, as it's still finishing printing as I sit here at my computer.

Interest List

1. vbarcier

2. Ceebrupt

3. Generalurko

4. dmccue

5. Gee2

6. mrwax

7. aeseven7

8. Movie Magic

9. TomVDJ

10. Treeman

11. ahoudini

12. wraithride

13. blastoplex

14. Lrp4209

15. Alltalk

16. doriang

17. Bruce Wayne

18. MTB

19. KamenOtaku

20. DracoAdamantus

21. Estel_MM

22. Knightmare

23. greatpretender

24. ImLikeSid

25. Hawkwind

26. Mpops89

27. strategicgfy

Possible options:

(1) STL files and 10 springs (only eight are necessary) should be $50.
(2) Kit printed in resin with 10 springs. Price should be $150.
(3) Possibly a second type of kit in FDM printed Metallic looking PLA. If it ends up being offered, also $150.
(4) Finished resin, painted, and assembled will be $180.
(5) Possible Bronze Key ($ to be determined)

Final interest list (please specify 1 through 5 option)

1. trammell (option 1)​

2. TomVDJ (option 4)​

3. KamenOtaku (option 1)​

4. MTB (1 and 2(?))​

5. blastoplex (2 or 4)​

6. Ceebrupt (option 4)​

7. dmccue (option 5)​

8. Mechanized (option 4 or maybe 5)​

9. aeseven7 (option 4 or 5)​

Didn't realize we were already looking at options... Number 5 preferably, number 4 as a second.

Once pics of the Hero prop appeared, things moved faster. I'm going to place an order for 200 springs, which is about 20 keys.
I'll have the final printed prototype by then, and might place an order to have one printed in bronze from Shapeways.

All set and ready to print just need the files
42C95DEC-4772-4B0D-BBF9-5E45F47761B3.jpeg

I forgot about Thanksgiving. o_O

And on one of my days off, work called me in.

I am indeed suggesting RESIN printers for this. To be tight, and feel right, there can't be a ton of play in the moving objects. Resin printers print more precisely and the FDM might have more of an issue not fitting. (or need sanding, which resin doesn't)

I did not get to print like I wanted. But next week isn't that far away.

I'm most likely interested in option 4, but am very interested in seeing what the bronze looks like.

I'm most likely interested in option 4, but am very interested in seeing what the bronze looks like.

It turns out that trying to electroplate 3D prints relies on a conductive coating which I failed to successfully pull off. So, paint will be a nice bronze looking paint, and I'll do a Bronze metal from Shapeways to see the look and cost. I'll keep the prototype for myself it it ends up too costly for a run.

My printer is up and running! Did a few test prints last night and they came out great. I’m ready to go when the files are available. Here is the test I did, don’t mind the finish I wasn’t able to wash it fully as it was late and I was only concerned with the print quality.
40001070-C9DA-4A9B-BD85-296A9499F8C7.jpeg

FF2ECF8C-9A1D-4761-8AE5-3DD1DB65DFC5.jpeg
3A98D8D6-DE2C-4803-9DF4-F1C9A93A8BA7.jpeg

So, COLOR !!!
The prop key was obviously done with some different washes. And most of those seem to be gone. Some parts of the key are so brown as almost black, but the inside of the flaps in areas are such a light shade of bronze as to be almost gold. I think the inside of the flaps should have the truest color since the flaps have theoretically been closed and protected while the outside has been exposed to nature.
For the painted key, I am thinking this color. It is a bright color, more towards the copper, than gold, but that's because it has quite a bit of copper powder in it and is essentially a cold-cast paint.
Options are still open. Especially if people are not fans of this paint. Still in the R&D phase on paint.

The print looks great but the paint seems too bright to me personally, but maybe I misunderstood, are you going for the look it has in the movie or the one it might have had originally in-universe?

The print looks great but the paint seems too bright to me personally, but maybe I misunderstood, are you going for the look it has in the movie or the one it might have had originally in-universe?
I can't find a single scene with the key from the movie where it isn't nearly PITCH BLACK due to being at night or in an underground torchlit chamber. Being in the dark is going to make the key look dark also.

But going darker is definitely doable. The reason I went light with that test is that that is the most reflective metal color. Meaning that a darker color isn't going to be as obviously metallic if it doesn't reflect and shine as much. I may have to make my own cold-cast paint to get the color I want. :)

I can't find a single scene with the key from the movie where it isn't nearly PITCH BLACK due to being at night or in an underground torchlit chamber. Being in the dark is going to make the key look dark also.

But going darker is definitely doable. The reason I went light with that test is that that is the most reflective metal color. Meaning that a darker color isn't going to be as obviously metallic if it doesn't reflect and shine as much. I may have to make my own cold-cast paint to get the color I want. :)
Yeah this is the only screenshot I can find of it in (somewhat) daylight, it appears pretty dark here.

Attachments

• THE_MUMMY.Title0 00_19_0500012.png
    THE_MUMMY.Title0 00_19_0500012.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 56

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back