The movie theater experience

I enjoy the "active" viewing of the movie in the theater without all the distractions of home. I worked for many years at a theater and it just feels right to see the movie on the big screen. Ideas for theaters to market to their customers would be comfort of the seats, screen size, sound system and the ability to deliver on a disruptive free movie experience. That means better trained staff that actively, politely and sometimes forcibly deal with disruptive patrons. The cool thing about well trained active staff is they do not cost as much as people think and they can do more to turn a theater around than almost anything else. Kick out a few stupid people causing a problem and word gets around that your theater won't tolerate that and more good customers come in and idiots stop showing up. Alamo Drafthouse has taken this to an art form and the their loyal customer base is proof it works.

I have a good relationship with my local theater (I have done several costumed opening night events for them) and it really helps to get to know your local managers. When I come to them with an idea, a complaint or a suggestion they take me seriously and do something about the issue. Let them know you are a regular and once they have a name and a face it is much harder to ignore you wants and needs. That reminds me, how about a real "loyalty rewards" program that is keyed to a swipe card to get discounts on tickets, food or invites to special movie/exclusive showing.

The real point here is that theaters have to be part of the experience and community and be "active" in how they approach their audience. Too many theaters are just a "passive" place that open their doors, reheat the popcorn, turn on the projectors and then sit back and wait for everyone to leave. It is a business where customer satisfaction has to take place every moment for hundreds of people at once. This is not a task for the lazy!!!

My wife and I live in a small city in northern Canada, and while it has grown a lot in the last 7 years, it's still relatively isolated and there isn't always very much to do for what we are interested in. The movie theatre is usually our escape and date night, and we've generally relied on it to shake things up, so in that respect, we go quite a bit. While we do endure the usual things that others have been discussing here, (sticky floors, the odd smart phone interruption), it has generally been a very good experience and so much more enthralling than just watching something on television at home. With so many smart devices taking over visual entertainment, it is the one place where it's nice to get out to and have that tie to yesteryear when people went out more often. Heck, back east in my hometown, we still have a Drive In Theatre, which is so much fun to enjoy and I miss that experience. And just to cap this off, you get a real sense of how movies affect others when at the theatre...whether it be a group laugh, or gasp etc...I remember going to see "Passion of the ******" years ago, and when that movie ended, not a word was spoken, the theatre was deathly quiet like attending a funeral, with only the occasional muffled sob to break the silence. Such a powerful memory and reminder of the influence the theatre experience has on people.

They've done studies on it. Your brain reacts more strongly to the emotions in the theaters with a big huge screen in the dark with no distractions. And a good movie builds the emotions over the course of 2 hours. Many people don't even realize how much damage it does to a show when you break it up into a couple of pieces. Commercial breaks are TOO bad, but a lot of shows get really wrecked by watching them in pieces on separate occasions.

The industry is dying because of high prices & home competition more than anything else. People complain a lot about idiots talking & distracted on cell phones but I don't think that is as much of a problem as it sounds. I think it pisses people off so much more than it used to because their demands for the perfect audience have been raised. They are paying a lot more money today for something that is not as much improved over their home experience as it once was.

IMO the single biggest fix needed is lower ticket prices. I think the industry fails to appreciate how much the price issue gets multiplied in a group setting. 14yo kids don't just go on two-person dates, they go in groups. And now they aren't trying to impress their date with their willingness to spend money anymore, they are trying to pool everyone's money to get the broke members of the group in too.

$12 x 2 people = $24 movie.
Frustrating, but still tolerable. Barely.

However,

$12 x 5 people = $60 movie.
Whereas Redbox seats the same 5 people in somebody's basement for $1.50.

Last edited:
$12 x 5 people = $60 movie.
Whereas Redbox seats the same 5 people in somebody's basement for $1.50.

I'd see it more like $1.50 PLUS the cost of the television, the furniture, the surround sound, etc.

So I see what you mean but there are also the hidden costs that people don't take into account.

Also, I really appreciate everyone chiming in on this. It's very helpful for the stuff I am compiling!

History has shown that Hollywood's remedy has always been to introduce technology that advances the theater experience beyond what's capable in the home. From the advent of TV which drove the widescreen format to the 3D/IMAX Renaissance this has always been the case.

As I mentioned earlier there's also a sense of community with a good audience which isn't always recognized and certainly difficult to market as a virtue. Robert Rodriguez did a really cool thing with his release of Sin City on DVD. He miked the audience for the premiere screening in Austin and the recording is one of the audio tracks for the DVD. I honestly want that track as an option for most movies on Blu-Ray/DVD.

I only go to the theater if it is a super blockbuster movie I want to see. That equals two or three a year, maybe. And even then, if the blu-ray came out on the same day the movie opened I would probably just watch it at home. My main reason for going to the movies is just impatience--I want to see it now.

The only other reason (for me) to go to the theater is if I am going on a date, or if me and my friends just want to get out of the house and go do something.

I only go to the theater if it is a super blockbuster movie I want to see. That equals two or three a year, maybe. And even then, if the blu-ray came out on the same day the movie opened I would probably just watch it at home. My main reason for going to the movies is just impatience--I want to see it now.

The only other reason (for me) to go to the theater is if I am going on a date, or if me and my friends just want to get out of the house and go do something.

That was the reason for the last time i went to a movie, my college buddy was in town and he wanted to see POTC 2. The tickets cost more than our lunch before we went in.

I'd see it more like $1.50 PLUS the cost of the television, the furniture, the surround sound, etc.

So I see what you mean but there are also the hidden costs that people don't take into account.

Also, I really appreciate everyone chiming in on this. It's very helpful for the stuff I am compiling!

But that's stuff you'd own anyhow, movie or not. It isn't a hidden cost because you aren't purchasing those things for this particular movie and if you watch a lot of movies or television, the amount that it might cost for the TV and the Bluray player and all the rest is minuscule compared to theatrical ticket costs. Plus the fact that once you see the movie, you still own all of those things, unlike a theater where you have to leave the big screen, the seats and everything else behind.

The home theater is infinitely more cost effective.

Plus you can't get free refills at the theater or watch a movie in your pjs there. Another 30 years I'm not sure theaters will exist in a great abundance other than maybe restored old ones.

Plus you can't get free refills at the theater or watch a movie in your pjs there. Another 30 years I'm not sure theaters will exist in a great abundance other than maybe restored old ones.
The theaters near me do offer free refills... and technically you are paying for the refills at home (unless someone else bought them or you stole them, lol).

I also think the quality (and sometimes type) of the movie plays a part in how you react to the distractions that may be present in a theater. If you're totally into what's going on onscreen and really just enthralled by the movie, then you're less apt to notice the guy a few rows back texting or that guy whispering sweet nothings into Becky's ear.

I pay extra for IMAX or a place like iPic because no one wants to pay a premium to talk through or text during a movie. While this route has been more expensive, it's peace of mind and has worked every time.

Sad that it's how I have to do things to enjoy a movie, but I am SICK TO NO END of jerks who won't shut up or stop being rude with texting/cell phone stuff during movies.

Would you guys be more or less interested in going to the premiere of a (related) movie if they were having a costume contest of some sort?

We have a theatre near us that has special times for 18+ only. Those are the only times we go. It costs a bit more, it is 4K, large screen projection, large leather recliner seats, unlimited refills on popcorn and drinks, and not kids (even with adults). Since we've been going to those showings we've had a much better experience.

Would you guys be more or less interested in going to the premiere of a (related) movie if they were having a costume contest of some sort?

I would totally go to a showing of Blade Runner or Blade Runner 2 in my Deckard outfit, wouldn't dare bring the pistol though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back