The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Marksmann GPS

Great job with all of your work. I appreciate all of your attention to detail. BTW: I actually have the Lowell bag we used in the film. I had forgotten that I had it. I'll put it back together with the original GPS unit.

Attachments

• IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4386.JPG
    IMG_4386.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 91
I had not seen this thread until now, and I love it. A very nice project with a wonderful result, nicely documented and much fun to read through - congratulations!
It has one detail that I loved to see in particular: how you used your custom image in the RPi boot sequence. I have to adopt this for my GERTY - this will be a huge improvement!

Reading all this makes me also want one... :cry:

I got a quick overview but all of these devices are quite pricy, always more than $150 + shipping + customs. Makes it a very expensive try. And I'm not very good in electronics and all these stuff.

But it would be awesome to have something from the Lost World, because there aren't really much remarkable props in this movie.

Maybe I could get a cheap one just for display without electronics.

I got a quick overview but all of these devices are quite pricy, always more than $150 + shipping + customs. Makes it a very expensive try. And I'm not very good in electronics and all these stuff.

But it would be awesome to have something from the Lost World, because there aren't really much remarkable props in this movie.

Hey dude,
I've only got a very small amount of electronic info, basic soldering and lighting systems, thats it. This is a new challenge for me also. I've no experience with Raspberry Pi's or anything else. Most of the props I've made in the past have just been things that can be glued or welded together or purchased stock with 1 or 2 extra parts added.

As for the cost of the handheld, I've been waiting a few months for a cheap broken on to appear online. I got mine for under $72 with postage and import charges shipped to the UK. It's worth waiting a little for a cheap one to appear. They are quite common.

Anyone here will tell you when it comes to making props, the trick is to just practice to get good at it. Yeah it takes time but what hobby doesn't to get into. Don't be discouraged by your current skill level when wanting to try to make something new. Just have a go at it and see what you get :)

Hey Rymo,
Awesome work you've put into this! I recently acquired my own Tektronix handheld hoping to make the same prop from TLW. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one interested in this item. Currently in the process of sourcing parts. Some coming from China, USA and some from UK. Being in the UK makes it a tad more fun for me to hunt for parts but I'm sure I'll be able to get them all. Just gotta convince a few U.S sellers to ship over to UK which is always fun :confused: Just wanted to say thanks for all the updates you've made over the past few years on this. I was trying to figure out how to do the display until you mentioned rasperry pi and then I was like "Hello common sense" lol. Anyway, thanks dude :)
Good luck with your build! Feel free to reach out to me with any questions and I'll try to answer the best I can.

Great job with all of your work. I appreciate all of your attention to detail. BTW: I actually have the Lowell bag we used in the film. I had forgotten that I had it. I'll put it back together with the original GPS unit.
Wow, it's cool to see you still have the original one! I picked one up on eBay a few years ago to go with my replica. They're kind of hard to come by these days.

Wow, it's cool to see you still have the original one!
Yes! I had the unit in the bag for a long time, then at some point, I took it out so I could use the bag with my camera gear. Then moved on to smaller bags as my camera's got smaller.... So it just ended up back in the closet of misc stuff in the office. Now it will go back to holding the GPS, as it is supposed to do.

I had not seen this thread until now, and I love it. A very nice project with a wonderful result, nicely documented and much fun to read through - congratulations!
It has one detail that I loved to see in particular: how you used your custom image in the RPi boot sequence. I have to adopt this for my GERTY - this will be a huge improvement!
The Raspberry Pi is such an inexpensive and versatile little device, it really is perfect for projects like this.

I recommend finding one being sold cheaply as "for parts" or "untested". I've noticed that oftentimes these will end up on eBay, sans power adapter, so the seller just sells them for parts even though the unit is probably fine. They just didn't go to the trouble of finding the proper power supply to test it with. Both devices I purchased were listed as "for parts or repair", but they ended up working perfectly.

My Marksmann GPS replica version 2.0 is officially finished. I had taken some time off working on this second replica, but I finally got around to adding the final touches to it last week.

For this one, I decided to add a fake inventory tag to the carrying case. I feel like it adds a bit of fun realism to it.
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.14.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.00.55 AM.png

Last edited:
Congratulations! It's beautiful! And the case and the tag really add a lot to it.
... I have no idea why, but I just searched Ebay for the Tektronix device and found this offer: two (for parts) for $45 + $26 shipping. Maybe somebody else finds this helpful: Tektronix WFM 90 Handheld Waveform Monitor Qty 2 AS IS/ Parts | eBay
Thanks! I noticed the listing says "There are NO power supplies included, unable to test" so there's a chance the units still work, they just need power adapters.

Last edited:
I just spotted this device in Independence Day and came here to see that it was already mentioned. But just wanted to take the opportunity to say how cool this replica turned out.

Thanks! I noticed the listing says "There are NO power supplies included, unable to test" so there's a chance the units still work, they just need power adapters.
The two units I purchased on eBay were listed the same way. They were still functional, they just needed power adapters. I think it's worth a shot to pick one up in that condition, if it's for a decent price.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back