The Hunt for Red October

Mike J.

Master Member
Given that we just passed the 25th anniversary of the Hunt for Red October, I'm commissioning an Anniversary Paper Props Thread! Yaay!

I've ID'ed the 'spy photo' of the Red October that we see when Ryan is briefing the National Security Advisor & the Joint Chiefs.

For a more detailed run down, see my blog: http://gndn.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/the-hunt-for-red-october-typhoon-spy-photo-identified/

Be careful, there are some other similar photos of Typhoons, but they are not a perfect match!

-MJ

Attachments

• Typhoon-Class-Submarine3.jpg
    Typhoon-Class-Submarine3.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 46
Finally! Another fan. I guess I don't have to worry about that much competition on eBay while I'm trying to put my Ramius costume together.

Finally! Another fan. I guess I don't have to worry about that much competition on eBay while I'm trying to put my Ramius costume together.

When you finish that you can help me write this:

[RYAN] "I wrote a biography of Admiral Halsey, called "The Fighting Sailor", about, uh, naval combat tactics... "

(not shown on screen).

"That's her uncle..."

Letters to Admiral Yuri Padorin. Note the straight edges on the background postage stamps, showing they are not real postage stamps, but likely color photocopies.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0001.jpg
    shot0001.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 46
  • shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 47

Attachments

• Internal Arrangement!pdf.jpg
    Internal Arrangement!pdf.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Internal Arrangement!.jpg
    Internal Arrangement!.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for posting those. It looks like they were lazy with the postage stamps and the cancellation postmark seems to be the same on every piece of mail. Also interesting is the rubber stamped delivery addresses. And yes Ramiuses letter looks like a US number 10 envelope and why would he add the red stamp on it? That stamp is currently available from Nic Law enforcement supply.

I have one of those stamps I got years ago out of some catalog, that has the seal and says "Top Secret" below it.

Speaking of the Soviets...

http://gndn.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/red-october-ryans-soviet-tactics-book/

Seen very briefly inside Jack Ryan’s briefcase as he is packing in the opening credits is this small paperback book titled “Tactics” and subtitled “A Soviet View.”

This is a real book, and was edited by V. G. Reznichenko, published in Moscow in 1984 (as “Taktika”), and translated and republished by the USAF in 1987 (printed by the GPO?), apparently with the approval of the Soviet Union. This was apparently intended for officers of the Soviet Army and military academy students. Reading the first few lines, it's obviously very "politically correct." Could not find one on eBay, so...

http://gndn.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/the-hunt-for-red-october-ryans-tactics-book-replica/

Identified the fonts, set the type, estimated the size of the book from a scan, and recreated the annoyingly wonky graphic of the hammer & sickle. Find a donor book, about 256 pages thick, about 6.25 x 9.25 inches, or make a dummy. Trim along the trim lines, or leave the left side untrimmed to wrap around the spine and back. Print on glossy or semi-gloss white or very light tan heavy paper.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0002 retouched.jpg
    shot0002 retouched.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Tactics Cover Replica.pdf
    600.7 KB · Views: 62
And as we bid a fond farewell to October and the Red October, I'll post one more item: replica orders for the Red October's maiden voyage.

Attachments

• US Letter with A4 Proportions.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • A4.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back