The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

One of my favorite things about LOTR is every character has their own story going on, and is significantly changed by it.

These movies are likely the last we will see Peter Jackson's interpretation of Middle Earth. I'm not complaining one bit about 3 movies instead of one.

I don't care what the studio is getting out of it. I don't think of it as stretching the Hobbit into three movies, because I don't think of it as just "The Hobbit". They are including things from Tolkien's other writing.

Fart jokes? Now that does make me feel rather jar-jar-binks-ish.

*SQUUEEEEE*!!!
Sorry.. just had to share that here.. SO EXCITED for this film! Especially after watching all of PJ's blogs and seeing the love that has been given to crafting these films. When you see that bit of PJ actually getting his hands dirty with the set-builders, yeah.. that seals it for me! I trust him entirely to bring a great bit of entertainment to us and he's already gotten my 12.00 (I'm sure that's just the start of my wallet emptying) I wish he & the team all the treasure they deserve to complete their art.

Here's some great ref photos for those building props & costumes
Arwen-Undomiel.com :: Dedicated to J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings :: Screen Captures gallery

and just for your amusement ( or annoyance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qXFQFnUdh5I#!

Out of curiosity, what are you guys paying for the all-out experience, per ticket?

I just picked up a pair of adult tickets for Sunday morning (matinee pricing), on their "XD" screen (read: "It's bigger and louder, so we charge more"), for the HFR 3D showing, and tickets were $9.75 each. We actually have really good pricing around here.. standard 2D showings at matinee prices are less than five bucks.

Then again, I'll be spending another thirty at the concession stand for a couple hot dogs, drinks, and popcorn.

I'm going on Tuesday after work. Tickets are like $8 until 6pm for the regular showing. I may go to a 48 fr theater another time.

I didn't know it was out yet. So far the reviews have been mixed that i saw with some folks saying it looks like a made for tv movie and it's like a really bad video game. We have the entire LOTR trilogy here and never made it past the first movie. Maybe on our new tv it'll look better.

Well, it's certainly a different experience. Similar to when I first started seeing high-def movies and the new flat screen high-def TV's, where the image was super sharp and lacked the grain and softness I remembered from big movies and made them look more like cheap TV shows that are usually always crystal clear.

The Hobbit is sorta like that. It's very sharp, with crisp colors and the 48 fps makes things really fluid looking - not quite natural, but again... doesn't have that big-movie-filter I was previously used to.

Whether this is a bad thing or a good thing is all up to you. It didn't distract me as much as the change from low-def to high-def was for me. But it does somehow take a bit of that MOVIE thing away from it... but it gives it something else... a sort of being there. Maybe that's a wrong way of describing it, but it's the best I can come up with right now.

I'm just going with the 2D Hobbit, not even sure if it's 48 or 24 FPS. Paying $11 total including the Fandango fee. IMAX is pretty much pointless, and 3D is generally a gimic or a joke as a way to seperate fools from their money.

I'm going to miss that old movie feeling as these get more and more high def and recorded in digital. Least they could do is have the digital projectors sound like the old school ones lol.

I don't think the 48 fps is available in 2D. At least it isn't here where I live. Honestly, I'd be interested in seeing how it looks in 2D and in the normal 24 fps. Would be a cool comparison.

The movie itself is in my opinion definitely worth multiple viewings.

Oh... and to answer Wes - it premiered here 2 minutes to midnight Tuesday evening, while I waited until 18:00 hours on Wednesday (yesterday now) to watch it.

I might see it again on Saturday if I like it enough, might try a comparison of a 3D just for the hell of it. For now I'm going to the local crack theatre to see it. We call it that because there's almost never more than a dozen people in any viewing of any movie, though it's in a nice area of town and is clean, the only way we can imagine it stays profitable is to sell crack on the side.

Incidentally, I think you meant to say "the pedant in me". :lol

Touché :)

I live out in the middle of nowhere now, so I'm crossing my fingers I can get away with just showing up at the normal time I buy midnight showing tickets and be fine. The tradition I undertook for the LotR films won't work out anymore, and no other plans were made, so I'm just going to be lazy about the whole thing. 2D 24fps is good enough for me.

Well its very near now !!!! (here in the States)

I'm at a cross roads as one of my *BIGGEST* *HUGE'EST* pet peeves is getting in line with a dozen or so people in front of me. Why? Because those twelve people will turn into FIFTY before the doors to the theater open.

So I'm here at home with all the needed items to make a journey out to the theater and do some major waiting! (no reserved seating theaters here in the NW except for one i-pic theater.)

If I had a partner to go with me, I would go down with my comfy reclining deck chair and do some urban camping!

Just back from IMAX.

Loved, loved loved it. What an absolute joy to revisit Middle earth!

Yes, the material was padded out with some extra invention, but I'm glad they did. The source material is a children's book, after all, so to lace it with the pathos and heart it has was a truly challenging task. I say Fran Walsh and PJ really nailed it.

I want to watch it again, immediately!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back