The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - FINISHED

Re: The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - Boots and Chest - WIP

And we're back! So I=in the passed few months, I've gotten a job, moved across country for it, and signed up for PAX Prime. I kept putting off working on this and then spent a month preparing to sell chainmaille at Vancouver Pride. That was last weekend and went pretty well, so I've finally got some time on my hands and even some money to drop on the tools and supplies I had to leave behind in Toronto.

The last few days have been pretty productive, I grabbed more craft foam, EVA, knives, and a heat gun, then some combat boots from the army surplus store nearby my work. To get myself back in the swing of things I finished up the detailing on my shoulder pads, so they are both ready for painting. I want to be sure to make the chest piece, as it's such a huge part of the costume that I can't go without, but last night I didn't want to start something so big so I figured I'd go with the boots instead. So a few hours last night and a few more this morning and VIOLA! Both the shin guards and toe caps are blocked out, I figure I'll build the majority of all the pieces before going back and detailing them all, then painting them all at once.

20140809_163008.jpg

20140809_162938.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to attach the toe caps to the boots, I'd like to still be able to wear the boots for another costume or just general wear sometime. I had the idea to buy a bunch of button snaps and use them instead of proper buckles, to keep everything together, that way it's easier to get on and off, though my first test showed a bit of a problem, metal is hard to glue to. I was able to get it working by putting hot glue over top of the button, like to sandwich the metal inside the glue, but there is a finite amount of room to do that in before interfering with the function of the button and the glue still isn't the strongest thing. I found someone nearby that is awesome at leather work and he'll be handling my straps for me, with some faux buckles.

I've only got a few weeks before I head out to seattle, sooo this is a major time crunch, though the speed at which I put together these boots makes me think I can do it if I stay on task.

Re: The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - Weapons - WIP

Could you attach the toe caps to the shins with elastic straps and then hide the straps somehow? You'd probably also have to put a strap underneath the boot to keep everything in place. But it would hopefully make it easy to put on, and should flex well while walking.

Could you attach the toe caps to the shins with elastic straps and then hide the straps somehow? You'd probably also have to put a strap underneath the boot to keep everything in place. But it would hopefully make it easy to put on, and should flex well while walking.

Ah, good plan, I'll test that out.

Quick update. These are the gloves before detail. They look a bit wide because the straps aren't on yet but you get the point. The piece on the wrist isn't glued down, I figured I'd glue it down once it's painted so I can get the underside easily. The plates on the hand have some stretchy straps on them to hold them to the forearm armour and to my fingers so they curve with my hand. The glove I got from an army surplus store, it's pretty baggy so it makes my fingers look stubby which is good. It's got a hole in the finger but I'll fix that.

20140813_195552.jpg

I also picked up a shirt and pants from the thrift store, I soaked them in some coffee hoping to darken them, but I'm not sure if it did much, though they're a pretty good colour already so I'm not worried. I'm still finishing up the structure of the chest plate, hopefully tonight or tomorrow I'll have my leather working friend over in order to attach the buttons to all my pieces. I've decided to "rivet" the buttons on to the foam, essentially attaching it the way it's supposed to be attached (rather than just glue). The trick is that my leather working friend has an awesome riveter doohicky, it's a press that does it really precisely with extra force, so I figure I'll be able to drive the rivet through the foam relatively easily. For pieces that will have leather straps I'll have one button through the strap and covered by the buckle, then the one in the foam you won't even see. I'll post pictures to explain better, heh.

Outstanding work! Love the runes! I used to write in Elder Futharc when I was a lad (that's the runic language I copied from the back of my dog eared copy of The Hobbit) and read your messages printed on the axe! Brought a wave of nostalgia, that's for sure. Thanks for doing this. These projects are the reason I joined this site. Your skill inspires me!

Outstanding work! Love the runes! I used to write in Elder Futharc when I was a lad (that's the runic language I copied from the back of my dog eared copy of The Hobbit) and read your messages printed on the axe! Brought a wave of nostalgia, that's for sure. Thanks for doing this. These projects are the reason I joined this site. Your skill inspires me!

Thanks so much!! I ended up using a translator for the runes, so I'm not sure how well it lines up with your memory, plus I had to take some liberties in it I think, heh.

Here is this weekend's progress. Still have a lot more to do but I managed to get the shoulder straps working with the snaps. I spoke to my leather worker and we decided to go for normal leather straps with real working buckles, it'll be harder for me to get the suit on and off but it'll be easier for him to fabricate and less likely to fail. I'll be test fitting the first strap later this week and he'll have them all done a day or so after that. In the mean time I started detailing. First up were the boar emblems on the shoulders, I was pretty sloppy with them but I think they'll look good once they're painted. Then came the gloves, still have to do the second wrist guard, both are going to be attached with stretchy straps once they're painted, so that they move with my wrist properly.

Oh I'm also wearing the brown shirt I got in the first pic, it's an XL so it should give me some bulk. I also grabbed a brown canvas mail bag that I'm figuring I'll turn in to a "skirt", in an attempt to make it look like I'm wearing a tunic under the armour.

Also I suppose this counts as a beard progress shot. I haven't trimmed it in a couple of months, but it also hasn't gotten any longer in probably 10 months, heh. I seem to have reached my beard limit.

20140816_173256.jpeg

20140817_031050.jpg

20140817_032040.jpg

20140818_082817.jpg

WEEEE!! Straps! So these aren't permanent yet, I need to paint this beast first... but they look awesome. The buckles aren't as hard to close and open as I thought they would be, so that's good, and they'll be nice and strong once they're riveted to the foam.

20140820_190632.jpg

20140820_202447.jpg

As for other progress, I'm nearly done the detailing of the grieves, last piece to detail is the chest and back, which will take forever...

The straps look good with the thin line scribed into the edge. Nice detailing.

Interesting background in the top picture, too... :D

wow man very nice. Stickin with it for the long haul too! I like all the detail you are doing out of foam!

Interesting background in the top picture, too...
bigsmile.png

Dwarves are known for their freaky-deakyness. :)

The straps look good with the thin line scribed into the edge. Nice detailing.

Interesting background in the top picture, too... :D

Yah, the leather worker likes that little detail, he's got a tool to do it in seconds and it makes it a lot more fancy.

As for the background, that's just a small part of what his apartment is like :p he makes tons of fetish gear and sells it online, it's pretty awesome :D if anyone is looking for some cheap but good quality leather fetish gear just PM me.

Re: The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - Home Stretch - WIP

So I've been productive!! Finished the detailing this morning, spent a few hours spraying all the pieces with plastidip and gold, then a few more hours grunging up the gold. I've got all but the chest and back pieces mostly done painting, I'm going to go over everything with another splash of "rust" once I have the chest and back at the same spot. I should be done tomorrow around dinner?

I also picked up a brown canvas sack that I'm going to try turning in to a "skirt" otherwise I'm nearing the finish!

20140823_112638.jpg

20140823_161440.jpg

20140823_174353.jpg

20140823_173044.jpg

20140823_181128.jpg

20140824_005249.jpg

Could you detail or mention again your painting technique? Did you seal the foam first? Use plasti-dip? Etc? And you mentioned a dry brush technique. Your finish on the armor is great.
Thx

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back