Farewell:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2000.37.36_zpsdjsei0x1.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2000.36.03_zpsh7mx3crf.png

Quad turrets rotate independantly:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2000.35.27_zps87kiwd0e.png

Rear Starboard sidewall:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2000.35.01_zpsrmjpb79r.png

J

The Guns seem to be moving in their bracket-sockets. And in the flight-scene even the the bracket-fork is 90 degrees downward...?!?!?

I don't see why the quad cannons can't move like they do in TFA... You would assume that they would need to have that range of motion and move independently of one another to be of any use in a dog fight. I mean, if it's a proof of concept you're showing, I get it... Or if it's just added info that we may want to use, that's awesome stuff you found. I recall that in ANH, Han and Luke are fighting off some Tie Fighters in their flight from the Death Star, and in those scenes it would appear that the turrets move independently of one another.

It's interesting that, in TFA, you would see such subtle differences from one shot to another of the MF. Especially with it being a fully digital model. I guess the animators figured that you would not notice them in full speed.

-Kris

Maybe this new version is one of the many mods Han and Chewie did to the Falcon over the years? I'll have to re-watch that scene again to see if they are in constant contact, or they are just moving in their seats and the actual turrets are not moving. Either way, I think we all know that what the Falcon does and whether or not it can actually do that are two very different things.

-Kris

It's not the look of cgi that bothers me. I think it looks great.

But the QC can get pretty bad sometimes. (Digital x wings in the ANH SE) And then they tend to bend physics with the movement of things (the falcon take off from jakku)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

When you guys talk of the turrets moving independently of one another, you're speaking of the entire piece that comprises the gun and viewport, right? That had me confounded me as well, but - for better or for worse - it's "addressed" in the new cross-sections book:

A1Ma4yxR5SL.jpg

That picture of the yoke however, is pretty revolutionary stuff, engineering-wise. I admit I kind of don't understand it; it almost acts as though the main support tube would come through the hull in a vertical fashion (as opposed to front-to-back as before), and then the yoke is now pivoting on that tube (or the whole tube is pivoting...to get to 90 degrees regardless), and then the cannon housing itself is of course allowed to pivot on the yoke as before.

In the screen shot it looks as though the main tube is more or less longitudinal than vertical, but it's hard to tell; so is that in fact what's allowed to articulate, and it stays inline with the yoke? Gah! It's such a serious departure from the old-school Falcon. Wish I could see a mockup of it up close.

Last edited:
Hey,...here's a little video I knocked up the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAMWcRVl5u0

J

subscribed!
Great video!!!!!

As an aside, do you have a good reference shot for the underside paneling? I'm about to start that today. I'm slowly downloading some of the one drive pics. They are so close up. I'm much better when I can have a little perspective.

Someday I'm going to CAD out the panels and make a proper map for the different falcon models. Maybe when the bandai 1/72 bandai comes out (which I hope isn't so mirrored)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why they would have any reason to alter their CG Falcon for different shots. After creating a full CG Falcon (or even halves) it would be a lot of work to make changes in the middle of a sequence as complex as this one. What I do see is the lighting changing as the Falcon whips through the turns in the dogfight, highlighting different details as the light falls on different surfaces. This may be what looks like alterations.

I think I've cracked it.....the image of the Falcon with the darker area on the mandibles is a WIP,....the same as the shot of the Falcon in the first teaser,....in it we see the rear end of the Falcon a red panel,....which shouldn't be there,.....not on the OT 5 footer or the 32":

Red%20bit_zpsj8eh4kc9.jpg

This made it through to the finished film.....but isn't there any other time:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2020.39.01_zpsujjflskb.png

So these two shots are seconds apart.....the first is when Rey lets the Falcon fall so that Finn's broken & stuck quad guns can line up with the approaching TIE,.....next theres a shot of Finn in the gunner station taking the shot,....then we see image two......notice that the turret in image 1 has swivelled round so that Finn would be the right way up in that scene,....in image 2 the turret is in the traditional OT normal position,....so Finn should be hanging upside down in there:

Stills%20comparison_zpssga1i4nn.jpg

So using that logic.....the image with the mandibles with the lighter area has the gunner turret in the right position corresponding to the new set piece (which has changed from the OT version),...so proving that it is an updated model......the version seen in image two still has the areas with darker 'digital undercoat',...ie an area that still needs filled in with the correct colour & weathering,.....& like the red panel.....in the same scene that was in the teaser we briefly see the underside,....which shows the dark mandibles:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2020.43.08_zpshuu4zm9r.png

So this should be our reference:
Nice%20finished%20undershot_zpsqralt175.jpg

Which appears later also:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%2012.23.15_zpspe7bdtfl.png

J

When you guys talk of the turrets moving independently of one another, you're speaking of the entire piece that comprises the gun and viewport, right? That had me confounded me as well, but - for better or for worse - it's "addressed" in the new cross-sections book:

View attachment 607271

That picture of the yoke however, is pretty revolutionary stuff, engineering-wise. I admit I kind of don't understand it; it almost acts as though the main support tube would come through the hull in a vertical fashion (as opposed to front-to-back as before), and then the yoke is now pivoting on that tube (or the whole tube is pivoting...to get to 90 degrees regardless), and then the cannon housing itself is of course allowed to pivot on the yoke as before.

In the screen shot it looks as though the main tube is more or less longitudinal than vertical, but it's hard to tell; so is that in fact what's allowed to articulate, and it stays inline with the yoke? Gah! It's such a serious departure from the old-school Falcon. Wish I could see a mockup of it up close.

That's a fantastic picture of the latest Falcon... I'll certainly grab this one for reference.

-Kris

Awesome detective-work, John, thanks for sharing!!! And those images are so beautifully clear!!! I would've liked to model the in-flight Falcon with missing landing bay doors -- but that must have been an unfinished Falcon as well?

Awesome detective-work, John, thanks for sharing!!! And those images are so beautifully clear!!! I would've liked to model the in-flight Falcon with missing landing bay doors -- but that must have been an unfinished Falcon as well?

Ha,....I'm trying to make sense of it all......So that we know what is the correct reference to go by.....

Yep I think thats the only scene that the doors are open,....the shot before where we see the underside is the one where Rey skims the portside docking bay through the sand ...closed up.....(ahhhhh......how dare she!!!!)......& the next clear shot after the missing gear doors scene, is the one where she spins the Falcon round so that we see her belly before it goes into the Star Destroyer exhaust....all closed up again

....so to sum it up.....all shots that we can see errors or anomalies are the ones that appeared in teasers and promo material,....they weren't finished yet,....& they didn't go back & finish them

J

subscribed!
Great video!!!!!

As an aside, do you have a good reference shot for the underside paneling? I'm about to start that today. I'm slowly downloading some of the one drive pics. They are so close up. I'm much better when I can have a little perspective.

Someday I'm going to CAD out the panels and make a proper map for the different falcon models. Maybe when the bandai 1/72 bandai comes out (which I hope isn't so mirrored)

I'm working on one at the moment for my 72nd scale scratched Falcon. I need it to laser cut all the panels, but it wouldn't be hard to create a colour map from the files (once they're done)

As for 'in-universe' explanations about the rotating turret blocks, the cross-section states that Ducain (whom Han mentioned) refurbished the 'turret core' so that it could rotate. I still don't understand how it's supposed to physically work but at least the production team acknowledged a change in engineering from what we saw in the OT Falcon

.....& gaps between the thruster flaps:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-26%20at%2000.11.49_zpsgqstak3l.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-26%20at%2000.10.13_zpsbdaul4d9.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-26%20at%2000.10.29_zpsa0ngql7f.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-26%20at%2000.11.26_zpsbx5kprzu.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-26%20at%2000.10.59_zpsvolvbf2j.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-26%20at%2000.10.44_zpsfq6m0ltv.png

...still looks like the rear quarter sidewalls are mirrored

J

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back