Interest The Expanse - Miller's Illuminated Hand Terminal - Price adjusted!

As soon as I have the Miller space helmet done, I will be returning to the comms and doing a few variants, so it shouldn't be long. I actually have a half done one for you already, so don't worry :)
Simply thrilled Birdie-cant wait to be in awe of your Miller helmet too!

From my Expanse build thread here: The Expanse Big Build - MCRN & Miller Belter Helmets 19/08

Miller's Hand Terminal:

View attachment 855976

View attachment 855977

Pieces are laser cut and engraved on clear 3mm acrylic sheet. All of the engraved details aside from the characteristic scratch on Miller's terminal are then given a white wash to bring out the detail. The image of Julie was finished in Photoshop and then reverse printed onto clear adhesive vinyl and applied to the back of the terminal.

The LED is from a mini keychain that is cut to size and fitted in the bottom of the unit. I had to import these from China, a single site I found that supplies them with the yellow LED, I currently have enough to make 10 terminals. Button is push-to-make, non latching.

Price would be £30 for a terminal, + £4 shipping in the UK, £6 Europe, £8 US and the rest of the world. Please post here if interested.

Thanks for looking!

Sign me up

From my Expanse build thread here: The Expanse Big Build - MCRN & Miller Belter Helmets 19/08

Miller's Hand Terminal:

View attachment 855976

View attachment 855977

Pieces are laser cut and engraved on clear 3mm acrylic sheet. All of the engraved details aside from the characteristic scratch on Miller's terminal are then given a white wash to bring out the detail. The image of Julie was finished in Photoshop and then reverse printed onto clear adhesive vinyl and applied to the back of the terminal.

The LED is from a mini keychain that is cut to size and fitted in the bottom of the unit. I had to import these from China, a single site I found that supplies them with the yellow LED, I currently have enough to make 10 terminals. Button is push-to-make, non latching.

Price would be £30 for a terminal, + £4 shipping in the UK, £6 Europe, £8 US and the rest of the world. Please post here if interested.

Thanks for looking!
I'd like to buy one, please!

I am still SSOOO in for this Birdie, still cant get over the other items you have covered, Jealous just doesnt cover it.
Not chasing this, just letting you know my commitment is still here for this ,and any Expanse items you do that I can afford.
Nick G

Apologies for not updating this thread. The reason I haven't gone ahead with this run is that I need a new bed for my laser cutter. The old one got warped when the stepper motors got out of alignment. I can still cut on my temporary replacement, but without a proper vented bed, clear acrylic gets stained by the residue produced during the cut.

I do hope to rectify this problem in the new year. In the meantime, here is a new Tested video which explains how the terminal lighting was done using the guts from a slap-band. Just ordered one on Ebay to see if this is something I can incorporate into mine :)

Thanks for the update and still looking forward to this when you are ready. Also now looking for the slap bands as there are so many ways these could be useful. Where did you find yours (y)

Thanks for the update and still looking forward to this when you are ready. Also now looking for the slap bands as there are so many ways these could be useful. Where did you find yours (y)

Just a cheap one from ebay. Need to see how it's wired up to see if it's usable.

Any way to make the image on the clear vinyl more transparent? The blacks dont look see through and i think they should be.

Interested either way.

I'd love one too. Would it maybe be possible to also have one without Julies photo?

Absolutely. A 'blank' version is easier to do, as it doesn't involving engraving and overpainting the white characters. I will be working on redesigning the switch section to incorporate the slap band unit, as it is indeed the best option. Also looking at doing Bobby's Martian terminal that is seen extensiveley in S4.

Guys, sorry the waiting on this has been so long. I've had some unbelievable bad luck with obtaining the replacement bed. The first one I ordered was the wrong size. I had to return and obtain a replacement which was due to be delivered today. DHL claimed to have delivered it and received a signature. I have categorically not received it. It was supposed to be delivered to a safe place as I've been out, so they should not have even been seeking a sig. The name supposedly on the signature is my first name. Something very suspicious going on.

Will update when I know what the hell is going on.

Heya Birdie, long time no see :) Sorry to hear that DHL is dumb... imagine my "surprised face" (which looks startlingly like my "completely neutral" face) as I write that. They've never done anything right for me on this side of the pond either.

If things work out, I'm 100% in for one. Maybe two. I'll keep an eye on the thread, and I hope you get things straightened out with them!

Hey man, good to see ya!

It will get sorted out one way or another, it's just hella frustrating, not to mention expensive. A bit of research turns up a lot of cases of DHL drivers signing off themselves and then dumping the goods, as they only get paid for completed deliveries and have insane shechedules + really low pay. Not an acceptable excuse, but I can see how this crap happens.

Heya Birdie, long time no see :) Sorry to hear that DHL is dumb... imagine my "surprised face" (which looks startlingly like my "completely neutral" face) as I write that. They've never done anything right for me on this side of the pond either.

If things work out, I'm 100% in for one. Maybe two. I'll keep an eye on the thread, and I hope you get things straightened out with them!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back