Interest The Expanse - Miller's Illuminated Hand Terminal - Price adjusted!

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
From my Expanse build thread here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=294858&p=4530916#post4530916

Miller's Hand Terminal:

iyd5yr.jpg

izow38.jpg

Pieces are laser cut and engraved on clear 3mm acrylic sheet. All of the engraved details aside from the characteristic scratch on Miller's terminal are then given a white wash to bring out the detail. The image of Julie was finished in Photoshop and then reverse printed onto clear adhesive vinyl and applied to the back of the terminal.

The LED is from a mini keychain that is cut to size and fitted in the bottom of the unit. I had to import these from China, a single site I found that supplies them with the yellow LED, I currently have enough to make 10 terminals. Button is push-to-make, non latching.

Price would be £30 for a terminal, + £4 shipping in the UK, £6 Europe, £8 US and the rest of the world. Please post here if interested.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Hey man, that's not a problem at all. Right now this is an interest thread as I will need to have some idea of how much I will need to spend on materials, I would like to have at least five or six in to do a first run for time and resources management reasons. If the interest levels aren't high, though, don't worry I will still get them done for whoever does want one :)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support!

I thought I should give you a heads up that I will not now be starting on these until the third or fourth week of November. This is due to a long overdue relocation of my workshop, which is not heated, leading to the destruction of my laser tube earlier this year during the sub-zero temperatures we encountered in the UK. With my wonderful wife's full support we will be moving the cutter into the conservatory of our house. The logistics of the move are going to take a few weeks to sort out.

As soon as the move is done and I am up and running, I'll be getting this run going.

I am hoping to offer an altrnate 'Open' version of the phone, I need to work on a prototype first to see how it looks,

1060ggm.jpg

1zo7mgo.jpg

Off topic: what laser system are you running? I’m in the market for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic: what laser system are you running? I’m in the market for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Bodor 5030 60W Desktop. My best advice to anyone buying a laser cutter from a reseller (they are still pretty much all from China) is to go through someone with a good after sales reputation, who know what they are talking about. I bought an okay machine from a crappy UK re-badger. I've had better luck going through Bodor in China via Skype for technical assistance than with the company in the UK I bought it from.

Hi Birdie- is this still a go at some point?
Dont want to push at XMAS but I just really dont want to miss out when you pull the trigger on this.
More than happy to wait, as long as I am all in for this.
Cheers,
Nick G

Hi Nick,

I've actually been busy with commission work, and have also had a problem with the lights. I ordered a batch from china from the same place I received the first one. When I finally received them, the leds are actually white rather than the yellow one I received before. I'm going to try painting one with yellow or orange translucent paint.

Hopefully I'll be able to get something sorted out in the new year, don't worry about missing out, I'll be sure to let you know :)

Any word on this Birdie-not that I want to harass you or anything......just...want....expanse stuff?

As soon as I have the Miller space helmet done, I will be returning to the comms and doing a few variants, so it shouldn't be long. I actually have a half done one for you already, so don't worry :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back