The Caste System of the Yautja

ONE END

As their entire culture revolves around the hunt their social order is based on the number of kills and/or trophies they acquired. Though there is much overlapping between the classes, I have narrowed it down to the following few:

The "Eta"
The untouchables of the Yautja. Mostly they are the lame or the crippled, who are unable (or too cowardly) to join the hunt. Instead, they serve as slaves and do menial jobs for the hunters. They are ridiculed and humiliated on a daily basis by the other Yautja.

The "Unblooded"
The children of the Yautja are trained for their future hunts. Before their first hunt they are considered the "Unblooded," juveniles who have yet to prove themselves. They represent about 40% at any one time.

The "Young Bloods"
These are the recently "blooded" warriors. They are usually reckless and depressingly keen, trying to make a name for themselves. Many of them are proud of their petty trophies, which amuses the more experienced hunters. About 30% of Yautja at any one time is considered a "Young Blood." The Blooding is described below.

The "Blooded"
Though all hunters are considered "Blooded", this usually refers to those who are far from being Young Bloods but not yet an "Ancient" or one of the "Honored." This represents 20% of the Yautja population.

The "Honored"
These hunters are the elite of the Yautja society. Not only have they survived many hunts, they have gathered many more trophies than the average hunter or have performed a great service to the entire Yautja community. They comprise approximately 10% of the populace.

The "Ancients"
The mightiest of the Yautja are the veterans known as the "Ancients." Almost all had been one of the "Honored" and continued to survive for centuries of hunts. Ironically, these are the least concerned by the hunt anymore, focusing their attention to their arthritis instead. They are still great warriors; they just have too many trophies to care anymore. As a result, they are more compassionate and disciplined than most other Yautja. Many have learned new fighting techniques over the ages. For example, one "Ancient" who had hunted in 16th century Japan learned "Hira Baraki," or two sworded combat, and continues to use it today, and has two custom swords. These represent less than 1% of the entire population.

The "Bad Bloods"
The criminal caste. These are usually serious nutcases even when compared to your average Yautja. Many have committed crimes such as: murder of another Yautja, killing prey that is not game or failing in the hunt. These are constantly being tracked by the "Arbitrators." About 5% of all Yautja are "Bad Bloods," and in the above castes the number of these criminals have been added to the total amount.

The Blooding (or Rite of Passage)
This is the graduation of the Yautja. It always take place on the first hunt of the young Unblooded. About a dozen Unblooded goes with a veteran, usually one of the Honored, onto the hunting grounds for the first time. Depending on the difficulty of the hunt the young are given a certain standing in the community. On a difficult hunt failure usually means death, either at the hands of the prey or by suicide; many consider death more honorable than in failure in a hunt. Should the hunters succeed, they are marked on their foreheads as one of the Blooded. Each Clan has a different insignia for the mark of the Blooded; usually they are symbols for ferocity or courage. It has been known that at least a half dozen humans have been blooded. This is looked down on most of the Yautja community, and a hunter who "bloods" a human may be considered a "Bad Blood." Some of the Ancients who respect their human foes have approved of this action, and so far the "blooding" of humans is only considered eccentric, and not criminal. Some of the Yautja have special laser scalpels for the Blooded insignias, but blooding with acidic blood and other means of permanent marking is also common.

The Yautjas' code of law/honor
Though there are many more ordinances than what we have here, the basic laws are as follows:

1. Hunting Worthy Game:
When hunting, the Predator must be sure that his prey is considered game, and legit to kill. Sometimes the hunter will equal the odds (not using the shoulder cannon or some other weapon). Worthy game must fill the following criteria: Can defend itself and/or is able to kill the hunter himself, of age (killing children is considered the height of bad manners,) not linked to other lives (so that removing the prey will not doom another, e.g. pregnant women) and unwilling to be hunted (what honor in killing one who wants to die?)
2. Failing in the Hunt:
If the Predator fails in his hunt he usually takes his own life, preferring to die than to live in shame. However, some cowards prefer to live in obscurity rather than die. This is considered to be dishonorable and suicide is then "assisted" by an Arbitrator.
3. Claiming the Kill of Another Hunter:
To take the trophy of another Yautja, living or dead, is considered to be a great insult. For example, two Unblooded go on their first hunt. One Yautja takes on an alien and both are mortally wounded. While the wounded hunter is dying, the other hunter conveniently finishes off the alien and claims the kill as his own, abandoning the wounded Yautja. This is the most embarrassing crime, and the hardest to prove.
4. Murder of Another Yautja:
To kill another Yautja intentionally. This excludes self defense and killing a foe in a wrestling match to settle a dispute (see below.) This is the worst crime.

Most of these crimes are obvious, and are dealt with by an Arbitrator. However, sometimes when each party is accusing the other, the case is resolved by a wrestling match. Usually this is only to the knock out or off ring, but in the case of one side accusing the other of claiming the kill of another, it is to the death. The most common reasons for a match is as follows, with the first as the most common: Right to hunt, right for hunting grounds, to settle a petty dispute, to reclaim honor, claiming the kill of another.

However, for the most obvious or heinous crimes an Arbitrator is called in. He represents judge, jury and executioner. They are usually an Honored one who has shown justified rulings before, and there is no appeal for his decisions. There are a few subtle differences between the normal hunter and the Arbitrator

Interesting, although the population percentages add up to around 106%, and don't even include the eta.

Interestingly, the eta were a class in feudal Japan. It was rather similar to what is described above, they did all the jobs that were considered disgusting and dishonourable like working in slaughterhouses, clearing sewerage and being general dogsbodies to everyone. Even the peasants looked down on them.

...they did all the jobs that were considered disgusting and dishonourable like working in slaughterhouses, clearing sewerage and being general dogsbodies to everyone...

Who makes the tech that the Yautja use? Do they fall in this caste system somewhere (eta, honored)? Or is the tech made by a class/group we haven't seen yet?

You know I've put some thought into this and maybe it's like Goblins and Orc the Goblins are the tech makers and the Orc are the warriors... And we just haven't seen them yet... It's my thought that it would be really difficult to make something with such long pred nails... or maybe a few trim them and found there really good @ putting things together...

Or you can go with the majority, and leave it shrouded in mystery... I on the other hand would like to make/know a story to base off of...

Thats awesome man! For a while now Ive been wantin to find somethin like that! A movie needs to be made about a bad blood predator, a criminal on the run like scenario.

A bad blood movie would be cool. I do know that there is a bad blood comic book. I can say it is really cool. It is basically about a psychotic predator that crashes the prison ship into the earth and starts running around crazy killing everybody and everything. Then a "cop" predator comes down to take care of him, getting some help from a human. I actually enjoyed it, and it was interesting to see that bad blood is the term for those criminal preds

These lists are total bogus IMO and have nothing to do with what we know. Based on our knowledge (Films, comics and games) there is a marginal ranking system, and even that is perhaps more self fullfilling prophecy than knowledge.

I figured the Yautja (god I hate that name) are a nomadic race, originating from a desert and high temperature tropic climate-planet.
Camouflage is something they always have relied on, hence their body-prints and love for the cloakfield. Nomadic existence makes it practically impossible to devellop the high-tech they possess.
My gues is they either stole it from another race, which is hard to believe due to their seen feeling for fair kill's. Also, if their technology is stolen, it wouldn't be as pretty as it is now, hell, they have skin-tight armor and helmets...

OR they have been given some weapons in trade for duty, whether it be hunting for food for another race or do assasination (also a form of hunting for the Yautja).
Over the years they've educated themselves and learned to travel themselves, and solely rely on the other, technically advanced race for their ships, hunting gear and perhaps education.

These lists are total bogus IMO and have nothing to do with what we know. Based on our knowledge (Films, comics and games) there is a marginal ranking system, and even that is perhaps more self fullfilling prophecy than knowledge.

I figured the Yautja (god I hate that name) are a nomadic race, originating from a desert and high temperature tropic climate-planet.
Camouflage is something they always have relied on, hence their body-prints and love for the cloakfield. Nomadic existence makes it practically impossible to devellop the high-tech they possess.
My gues is they either stole it from another race, which is hard to believe due to their seen feeling for fair kill's. Also, if their technology is stolen, it wouldn't be as pretty as it is now, hell, they have skin-tight armor and helmets...

OR they have been given some weapons in trade for duty, whether it be hunting for food for another race or do assasination (also a form of hunting for the Yautja).
Over the years they've educated themselves and learned to travel themselves, and solely rely on the other, technically advanced race for their ships, hunting gear and perhaps education.

I agree on these kind of lists but personally i dont agree with what your saying with regards to where the preds tech comes from. The Yautja live for the hunt, they are an old species and therefor will have innevitably come up with some pretty handy equipment by now to aid them on their missions. Take a look at the human race for example, It's unfortunate but we are at our most brilliant with regards to designing technology during times of war, Just look how much we have accomplished over the last century. I would imagine that the Yautja species designed all of their own equipment, even if they did find insperation from other species...

I agree on these kind of lists but personally i dont agree with what your saying with regards to where the preds tech comes from. The Yautja live for the hunt, they are an old species and therefor will have innevitably come up with some pretty handy equipment by now to aid them on their missions. Take a look at the human race for example, It's unfortunate but we are at our most brilliant with regards to designing technology during times of war, Just look how much we have accomplished over the last century. I would imagine that the Yautja species designed all of their own equipment, even if they did find insperation from other species...

All valid points. But you forget one aspect: we made great leaps in technological development because at one point we thought it was better to stay at one location, grow our crops and keep our live stock at hand. (More ordinary: mankind wanted to brew alcoholics at a steady rate, simple fact. Beer is the cornerstone of our civilisation.)

Nomadic tribes never seem to devellop at the same rate when compared to static communities. Even today, most tribes left alone by the rest of the world have outstanding knowledge of their surroundings, but their technical achievement got stuck somewhere between bow and arrow. While this might be sufficient for such a tribe, it's still a long way from bow and arrow to plasmacaster and wristblade. Thus having agreement with either extraterrestial races or a species on their own planet would introduce technology to them. Gradually you'd see the Tribal culture grow to the technologically build quality of the other race, and the predators merging them in a damn near perfect marriage...

I like this debate.

I think the had a certain amount of tech then they acquired advanced tech from another race used it to further there obsession for the hunt and remember pred's are always looking for the hunt that is a challenge so if they come across another race with more sophisticated tech don't you think they would "gank it" after defeating there prey and analyze it like humans would and adapt it to again our purpose "the hunt" I agree with the camo theory there like the camilion..

All valid points. But you forget one aspect: we made great leaps in technological development because at one point we thought it was better to stay at one location, grow our crops and keep our live stock at hand. (More ordinary: mankind wanted to brew alcoholics at a steady rate, simple fact. Beer is the cornerstone of our civilisation.)

Nomadic tribes never seem to devellop at the same rate when compared to static communities. Even today, most tribes left alone by the rest of the world have outstanding knowledge of their surroundings, but their technical achievement got stuck somewhere between bow and arrow. While this might be sufficient for such a tribe, it's still a long way from bow and arrow to plasmacaster and wristblade. Thus having agreement with either extraterrestial races or a species on their own planet would introduce technology to them. Gradually you'd see the Tribal culture grow to the technologically build quality of the other race, and the predators merging them in a damn near perfect marriage...

Ha, very true. Perhaps they werent always so namadic in nature, say not until they reached a certain step in evolution where they were already advanced enough or at least had enough understanding to build items such as plasma casters on their own ships. Or maybe they stay at home more than we think and leave for the hunt a few months of the year? who knows? i just like the idea that they developed all their own tech... and for one reason alone :) im sure we could argue all day and never win, thats why i love the pred so much, there's still a certain mystique about them for me.

As far as the Tech part... if you read the Aliens novels, there is a race Known as the collectors... OR "space jockeys" as seen in the first aliens movie. Highly advanced, they created the Aliens as a means of clearing out planets for their own use. With this being such a tech advanced race, and the tech of the yautja being so similar, I would have to think that maybe the preds served them. At least until they began their own run at being the intergalactic bad asses... Just a thought.

As far as the Tech part... if you read the Aliens novels, there is a race Known as the collectors... OR "space jockeys" as seen in the first aliens movie. Highly advanced, they created the Aliens as a means of clearing out planets for their own use. With this being such a tech advanced race, and the tech of the yautja being so similar, I would have to think that maybe the preds served them. At least until they began their own run at being the intergalactic bad asses... Just a thought.

OOOO! The Collectors sound sweet! I like this idea!

That's excellent information. Thanks!

I think based on the steve perry predator novels i have read and the dark horse comics and what we know from the cannon movies.
I believe the predators had there own technological systems and equipment but i think they either incontered the space jockeys by the space jockeys trying to eradicate the yaujta from the yautja home world or the yautja discovered the space jockeys and there weapon the xenomorphs and the yaujta fought to control them as they are the perfect creature to hunt.

Also in steve perrys aliens books the xenomorphs have there own home world and the homeworld xenomorphs are twice as large as the xenomorphs we are use to seeing so maybe the space jockeys created a hybrid xenomorph which was much smaller and the predators loved what they made so they took it from the space jockeys

Doesn't anyone find the way that the Pred culture is set up to be a bit silly? Bearing in mind it's a creation of a human writer. I wish they would have left most of it "up in the air" and kept it to the imagination of the individual. Making up names like "Yautja" and actual Predator names reminds me of Star Trek (specifically Klingons). But at least Klingons had a semblance of similarity to human culture...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back