Tattoo inkjet paper for Jack Sparrow tattoo

indianaskywalker

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
ANyone know of any local shops that would carry the inkjet tattoo paper?
I'm looking to do Jack Sparrows tattoo.
If anyone has some clean artwork for it that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Erick

I can't help you with the inkjet, but you can get a reel creations tattoo ink, and get someone to draw it on. Used the aged tattoo ink. That's what I use for it. Then hit it with the aqua sealer and you're in buisness.

I know they used to sell the tattoo paper at WalMart - look for really girly packaging with lots of hearts and unicorns.

I've got the tattoo sketch I made when I did my costume. It's possible that it may be inaccurate, but I made it as accurate as I could at the time.

Tattoo Sketch

as compared to this photo.

Looking at the photo, and I may be wrong, but I don't think the P should be part of the tattoo. For one it isn't centered under the rest of the design, and for two, it doesn't appear to have any ink lines. I rather think it is more likely to be a brand. P for pirate. Note how the interior of the P looks white, as if with how tanned Sparrow is, the burnt scar tissue is still white as a ghost. Thoughts?

Bother, I should have specified that. I just included the P in the sketch for my own reference as to size, shape, position, and it is, as ThePatriot29 says, a brand and not part of the tattoo. A little bit of flesh latex does the trick nicely.

A good way to get the P is to make a "p" out of sticker material. Stick it on there, then rub the heck out of the arm with dirt and al. Take the sticker off and BAM. Branded. ;) Or the flesh latex. :p

I don't believe inkjet tattoos will be your best bet...

Inkjet tattoos are simply a water slide decal laminated with a clear adhesive... The end result is a "tattoo colored clear plastic bandage"

With that said they work OK for full color tattoos on hairless bodies, but for a large negative space tattoo like the above on a body with hair it's going to look horrible...

You would be better off using a sharpie...

I've tattooed for years, and I've done tattoo makeups for plenty of projects. Watched the old Tattooer that started me do the tattoos for "Last of the Mohicans" with a box of markers. Good old permanent markers work the best. Nothing fancy. That's exactly how Depp's were done. You can get Design or Prismacolor markers in an dark cornflower blue that looks just like a hand poked piece. Depp's are actually not period correct in the style or color that they would have been. Clooney's in "Dusk till Dawn - Sharpie. Let it dry well before you let it rub against anything, and hit it with a sealer. Stays on, comes off with nail polish remover. Sure there are fancy ways to do it, but $1.99 to me seems about right. As far as the brand is concerned, wax paper and latex. Build it up, peel it off, spirit gum it on. Just make sure you know how to set up spirit gum and set greasepaint. It'll be there till you rip it off. There's a reason all the old Monster Makeups still look great, it's the standard, old school materials and techniques that are the cheapest and have the most impact. There is not a modern makeup, no matter how cutting edge and expensive, doesn't have greasepaint and glue involved. Know how to use them and you literally can do anything. Frankenstein was only putty and cheese cloth right?
Rigid Collodion. Magic stuff and old school as it gets, could also work for your brand.
The most important thing that most Pirate or Action Costumes get wrong is the weathering of the costume and the dirt on the character themselves. Go change your oil or do some yard work in the costume a few times. Pay attention to how you look when you're dirty. Leave it outside for a few weeks. Get it wet and stuff the pockets with rocks. Sand the hems. Pay attention to where it would wear out. You can weather your character, but if it's not logical wear it looks false. The Costume was just started when they put it together for "Pirates." The bulk of the work is making it look authentic. That authenticity is cheap or free to come by. Buy some Fullers Earth and put it in an old sock and bang it all over yourself. Who cares how the fake tattoo looks if you're a shiny Pirate. Mess up your teeth. There are tooth enamels that come in black and brown. Goes on dry teeth comes off with rubbing alcohol with no damage. Mixing up food coloring, swishing it in your mouth every now and then works great. $1.00. Blue and green makes a great Zombie mouth, yellow, red with drops of blue and green make great period teeth. It wears off and is safe. You'll have to re-apply it every hour. More Pirates had bad teeth than had tattoos or brands. Get some food and drink down your front, those Golden Agers weren't fussy eaters.
Let me know if you have questions on "how to" any of this, maybe I can help.

Regarding the tattoo, I think Laffo has it right--keep it as simple as possible and just draw it on. I don't have any "clean" art, but here's the best screencap I've found so far:

Jack_Sparrow_tattoo_03.jpg

It may help you to get a more accurate rendition.

You can redraw the source file misterfusion posted. That'll be some easy fixes looking at the screen cap and what he found. The lines in the screen cap are going to be thinner just like the real thing would have been. Take the drawing to any Tattoo Shop, they will copy it and make a stencil for you. The stencil is ditto paper and the transfer will be purple. Wipe your arm down with Mennen Speed Stick and apply the stencil. YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAW IT REVERSED. Let it dry for 30 minutes and then blot it with paper towels and rubbing alcohol to lighten it up. Trace it with the marker like I said before. Have them do a few for you so you don't keep bugging them. Pay them for their time and materials. Boom you got your tattoo.

It's funny because they wouldn't have branded his arm, they would have branded his throat or forehead, so he couldn't hide it, or cut off his ears. Oh well, it is Disney.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back