Taking a Trip to L.A. Where should I go for props?

I just got back from spending a couple of hours at Universal Studios Hollywood.

The NBC/Universal Experience, the exhibit that features props and costumes from Universal movies, is very bland right now.

The only "Jurassic" props that are there are broken dino egg shells from JP, A raincoat with blood Muldoon wears in JP, the tranquilizer gun from TLWJP, and the yellow phone from JP3.
There are no BTTF props there anymore besides the DeLorean. The exhibit used to have a Flux Capacitor, a Pitbull hoverboard and the hoverboard with the rising sun, and several pages of BTTF concept art as well as some BTTF prop photos. It now only has 4 pages of concept art.
The only props that are there are miscellaneous props used in attractions that no longer exist in the theme park. (Wild West stunt show, TD:3D, ET in basket from the ride, and several figures used in stop motion/animated films. As for the costumes, they were nothing special. Literally trousers/coat/shirts/skirt some actor wore.
Everything else is Universal Studios history memorabilia. That's pretty cool if you're into that.

Today was probably my most disappointing visit to USH. If seeing a screen used DeLorean time machine up close means enough to you, then a visit to the park may be worth it. but as the park currently is, I can't recommend it since even the Universal Studio Tour is kinda disappointing right now. The Warner Bros tour is definitely your better bet.

The other thing to factor in is that despite the fact that nearly every place in SoCal north of San Diego and south of the middle of nowhere tends to get called LA not everything is in LA LA. What generally gets referred to as LA really consists of not just the city of LA but all of LA and Orange County and from part to another can take at least an hour in traffic.

That's usually what tourists would consider LA to be.

Forgot to add, the WB tour also has all the Batmobiles and the TDK Batpod on display.

Anyone done the Paramount tour? I'd like to see if it's worth the $50 admission.
I can't compare with other studio tours since it's the only one I did, but it was fine. It was what was advertised, a tour of the whole lot, with stops in their fake streets, studio sounds, even a prop warehouse which contained a few G.I. Joes and Transformers props, and quite a few interesting stories by our guide. It was worth the admission IMO, although after reading this thread I think I would have enjoyed the WB one a lot more !

That's usually what tourists would consider LA to be.

Which is why I felt the need to point out that what's commonly referred to as LA is much more than just the city of LA. Sometimes people not from CA or SoCal don't realize that and they get the mistaken impression that everything labeled LA is all located close to each other and that Disneyland is like 10 minute drive away from Dodgers Stadium which is a hop skip and a jump from the Rose Bowl, and Universal Studios is right next door to all of them. A lot of out of towners have no idea just how spread out the greater LA/OC area really is and few tourist attractions are located right next to each or even within less than 20 minutes driving distance (without traffic).

There's Sony Pictures Studios..., last I was there I saw they were taking people on studio tours.... They have the Winnebago from breaking bad... restored ecto 1 and a few other vehicles on lot...

I'm not sure where they take you exactly... It's a lot of buildings... big plain buildings... but buildings with history (like the school where Shirley Temple went during her shooting days)

They should also take you in Sony Pictures Plaza, which has a lot of props of display. Proton Packs, the Jumanji game board, etc..

But definitely do the WB Tour. Especially if you like Batman or Harry Potter, they have a giant room full of props from both franchises. Very cool stuff, best tour in LA.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back