Sword of Achilles, Troy (Pic Heavy)

Ninlhil

Been chipping away at this project for some time, just haven't posted anything til this point so I wouldn't keep Necromancing the thread.

When I got my job at a bronze sculpture foundry, I decided I wanted a replica of the bronze sword used by Brad Pitt as Achilles in Troy. Figuring out how to sculpt it and actually doing so has been a bit of a process. I decided to sculpt the sword as a half, then make two waxes to attach together to form the final was for the casting process.

First thing to do was get a good clear drawing of the sword. One thing I ran into while researching through all the references is that there seems to be no definitive version of it. Hero swords are slightly different than Stunt swords which are slightly different than Effects swords, etc. So I decided to cherry pick the bits and pieces of each version to get something fairly representative of the whole.

Achilles Sized copy.jpg

Once a that was done and properly sized according to what info I could find, I printed out the template and glued it to Styrene sheeting, which I then cut out and shaped on a wheel sander.
1.jpg3.jpg

I glued all of those pieces down to a piece of glass, as I wanted a truly flat surface for when I made my mold. With the central profile spine in place, I started building up the blade with Bondo.
4.jpg 5.jpg

For the raised decorations on the ricasso I made a second set of that template on thicker styrene sheet and removed the lower areas.
6.jpg 7.jpg
8.jpg

Finally hit my first goof. Realized that I couldn't lay down the ricasso pieces properly without removing some of the lower layer, so I did. Used some cut down wooden shims along the center ridge to provide support under the styrene.
9.jpg10.jpg

Filled in the gaps at the edges and against the bondo portion with green airplane filler putty.
11.jpg12.jpg

Ditto on the other side, then filled in some rough patches on the blade and added the Spine of the blade with a piece of triangular Balsa wood, which I then also skinned in putty and shaped the point of the blade.
13.jpg15.jpg 16.jpg17.jpg

This about got the blade to where I was happy with it, so I started working on the grip. Sculpted it out of Sculpy, then would use more sculpy or milliput to fill in the gaps.
18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg

At this point, I realized that my original plan of making the mold in one piece would mean a lot of wasted rubber as the handle is so much thicker than the blade, I removed the handle from the original base and put it on it's own. Also realized I had screwed up those holes on the grip, so I decided to place the raised rings on the grip and I would remove the holes in wax.
22.jpg

Bit more sanding and filling, then hit the whole thing with grey primer and now should be ready for the rubber mold to be made.

23.jpg26.jpg

Sorry for the janky photography. Should update soon.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 463
Holy smackrel! That’s an ambitious build! I’ve always loved that sword. Have the noble collection one out in the garage. One in bronze is pretty awesome! Well done so far.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back